Santa Rosa Music Center / Unprofessional Piano Service

1 860 Piner Rd #28Santa Rosa, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 707-566-0477

I hired Santa Rosa Music Center (aka DM Services for piano rentals) to move a grand piano. I encountered the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Wayne S., whom I believe to be the owner and with whom I dealt, is shockingly unprofessional and discourteous. Upon delivery it was discovered that my piano’s sustain pedal was malfunctioning. I called Wayne to tell him about the pedal that had been working without problem prior to the move. (Wayne himself appraised the piano shortly before the move and documented it to be in excellent condition regarding tone, touch-action, soundboard and regulation. My spouse and I were present during the appraisal and both of us witnessed Wayne testing the sustain pedal which worked fine.) Wayne told me the problem was due to a dislocated wooden dowel, a piece that is often knocked out of place when pianos of this particular make are moved around. One of his own deliverymen inspected underneath the piano to check the position of the dowel. It was still in place. He informed us that there was an internal problem to be fixed that he couldn't identify. I called Wayne and let him know that although the dowel was in place, the pedal wasn't working properly. I had no idea if fixing the pedal would be a simple (i.e., something a tuner could easily take care of free of charge) or complicated procedure. Consequently, I had no idea if the repair was going to be something Santa Rosa Music Center would be responsible for or not. I made no accusation and did not insist that Wayne take care of the repair. Nonetheless, Wayne was immediately defensive and rude insisting that he didn't do anything to my piano, that the problem was one any tuner could fix, and - spoken with complete confidence and assurance as if this were a common occurrence - that maybe someone had put a pencil on top of the piano that fell inside of it and that was the culprit. I found his penciI comment to be so bizarre and baffling that I asked for clarification. Did he mean that one of the movers might have accidentally dropped a pencil in the piano? He angrily shot back, “NO. My movers didn’t do anything to your piano!” My simple objective was that it to be clear between us that if the pedal were damaged upon transit, then I could expect Santa Rosa Music Center to cover the repair cost. I chose to discuss this immediately and directly with Wayne because the arrangements for the move were made verbally over the phone. I had no signed contract stating terms and conditions. Wayne was so belligerent, I found myself telling him many times that it's standard procedure for a moving company to cover any damages made to a customer’s property during a move, and that accidents happen (not that I was implying that there was any serious accidental damage). In response to his defensiveness, I explicitly stated that I was in no way making a personal attack. Nor was I questioning his professionalism or the competence of his movers. He told me he didn't like my tone though my tone throughout the conversation was polite and calm, while his was decidedly the opposite. After I told him I wasn’t making an ad hominem attack, he paused and said, “Okay.” But then, only seconds later, he complained that his movers had to wait 30-45 minutes to unload the piano. The movers arrived 30 minutes BEFORE the delivery window of time he had given us. (They called to let me know they had arrived.) My friends who were receiving the piano came home 15 minutes BEFORE the scheduled delivery window in order not to be late and let the movers into their home as planned. It seems the movers may have waited 15 minutes at the most, and certainly at no fault of my own or of my friends. When I asked him if he’d like me to cover the cost for the “extra” time, he said no, but told me how much his movers are paid an hour. It seemed that he was doing a "tit for "tat", as if to say that my piano may have been damaged, but I inconvenienced him somehow so we were even, or that I should feel badly about bringing up the malfunctioning pedal because I was responsible for making the movers wait and lose wages. The conversation ended abruptly when Wayne angrily spat, "You know what?! I am done with you!" and hung up the phone. While I don't yet know the exact cause of the pedal problem, - and I do hope it is something as minor as having to remove a small object that may have inadvertently fallen into the piano - the treatment I received from Wayne was abominable and inexcusable. He behaved beyond the pale. No costumer should be subject to such unprofessional behavior especially when the issue being brought up is appropriate and reasonable. I will never use Wayne’s services again. I do not recommend Santa Rosa Music Center at all.

Rz

More Santa Rosa Music Center Complaints & Reviews

Comments

1st of Apr, 2009

when the piano was moved it was done with complete care and their was not a scratch . the price was great for a 7 ft concert grand
    the only problem was the sustain pedal was not working, some times with a baldwin the spring or wooden dowel falls out of its slot
    we offered to pay for the adjustment at the time the tuners is there to tune.
    sally lim just kept grinding and grinding till I could not listen to her anymore.so I hung up on her boy did that feel good

• Rz
      10th of Apr, 2009

Case in point.

As stated in my original complaint, the coordinator of my move clearly does not know how to interact with customers appropriately and is utterly unprofessional. The statement that I "just kept grinding and grinding till [he] could not listen to [me] anymore.so [he] hung up on [me] boy did that feel good" is testament to that. He demonstrates far better than I could ever explain how reactive and unreasonable he is. To relish losing one's temper and being outright rude to a customer shows a startling lack of professional competence. Moving the piano was a simple business transaction, not a personal one in the least. Santa Rosa Music Center (SRMC), however, tried to turn it into something personal.

There are a number of factual errors in the comment to my complaint. SRMC's fabrications and blatant disregard of what transpired are truly beyond the pale.

1) The price to move the piano was never disputed; No bickering of negotiating took place. The fact that the quote was "reasonable" has no bearing on the move or my complaint. No matter what the cost - high, low, or on par with other moving company prices - a customer should not settle for subpar service or have a "great price" disallow her/him to ask questions, have appropriate requests addressed, etc. The customer doesn't owe the moving company anything beyond payment. And the moving company isn't doing a consumer a favor or cutting him/her a break when offering its price estimate. The price set should simply be fair and one that both parties accept and agree upon, and the services rendered should be in accordance with their contract. Period.

2) I never questioned whether or not the movers transported the piano with complete care. Movers can do their job with superb care and things can still go wrong, whether minor or major. Note that in my complaint I stated that I wasn't "questioning ... the competence of his movers." Additionally, the owner was not present during any part of the move to inspect the condition of the piano. While he claims he spoke to his movers who told him that the delivery went well, as he may well have, it simply isn't feasible for him to know if there were any scratches on the piano or not. This is an unfounded assumption on his part.

3a) SRMC states that the "only problem was the sustain pedal was not working, some times with a baldwin the spring or wooden dowel falls out of its slot...to put the parts back in place you need a piano technician to correct the problem not pianos movers . never let a piano mover take the action out of a piano for any reason. when the piano is tuned the tuner can make the adjustment its no big deal." In my complaint I clearly stated that when it became obvious that the sustain pedal was no longer working, one of the deliverymen had checked to see if the dowel/spring had fallen out of its slot - a very simple visual check that a delivery person experienced in piano moves can do. THE DOWEL/SPRING WAS IN PLACE. A DISLODGED DOWEL/SPRING WAS NOT THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM. The mover himself said that there must be some internal problem he couldn't diagnose.

3b) Additionally, I never expected any of the movers to fix the problem. Obviously, a problem with a piano always needs to be addressed by a piano tech. I did not insist that any repair work be performed by SRMC's movers. To imply that I did is a mischaracterization of what transpired.

4) The statement that SRMC "offered to pay for the adjustment at the time the tuners is there to tune" is a lie.

No matter what further comment SRMC might make about my complaint will be disregarded. Stating distortions and lies repeatedly does not make them true. I know what really happened. And I stand by my opinion that anyone looking to move a piano should consider any other moving company than SRMC. Despite red flags and what my intuition was telling me, I went ahead and booked SRMC for convenience's sake - I was under a time crunch. My experience underscores the fact that no one should sacrifice quality for convenience.