Samsung-61 & 1080p 120hz Slim-Depth DLP HDTV-HL61A750 / hdtv misrepresented in advertising

1 Texas, United States Review updated:

Order Number: BBY[protected]

Questions or Comments: I recently took delivery on a Samsung 61" 1080p 120 Hz Slim-Depth DLP HDTV HL61A750 SKU:8749474. All went smoothly and the television has performed well and has a good picture but, I was surprised to see it had the same type of motion artifact as my old Toshiba 57" CRT HDTV. There were subtle improvements though not to the degree that one might expect from a 120 Hz HDTV. I went through my manual and made sure I set the TV in the Dynamic mode to achieve the best image quality after making the proper adjustments. The TV presents improvements but, still the same motion artifacts. I became curious so I did my due diligence after the fact. And you know what I came to find out ? The aforementioned HDTV that had been advertised as a 120 Hz television on your website, and I retained printed copies, was actually a 60 Hz television. I was quite disappointed when this fact became apparent and have become quite angered by what appears to be either false advertising or possibly the blatant misrepresentation of merchandise. It also saddens me as a customer who has had pleasant dealings with Best Buy in the past. I thought I was buying a 120 Hz HDTV and got a 60 Hz HDTV. The main reason I bought the HDTV was to get better and more film like quality images with minimal motion artifact. Can we arbitrate this matter between us without involving any outside agencies and can you get me what you advertised ? Can you get me a true 120 Hz television of comparable size and quality at the same price ? As an adjunct to my previous comments, I had the same motion artifact in full 1080p when playing a Blue Ray disc. The bottom line is; your advertising promised one thing but I got another. If you are reading this Email and are not at the very least a supervisor you need to kick this up the change of command as this is a serious matter !

Comments

• Mi
      16th of Nov, 2008

from the AVS forum on this particular set:
    "- Does this TV have 120Hz processing? Is it like the LCD's I see in the store? Why does it say 60Hz when I press the info button?
    Yes, this TV is ALWAYS doing 120Hz video processing. It cannot be turned on or off. This is not the same effect that you may see on some LCD's in a store. Those LCD's have a feature called something like Motion Enhancement that is software to enhance the motion of the image. This often has the effect of making film look like video, and can also cause what is known as TBE or triple ball effect, where you might see three balls on a fast moving baseball due to software frame interpolation. Since DLP's have a hugely faster update rate, this is not needed. The 120Hz on this TV is used to provide judder free display of 24fps sources, such as blue ray movies. When you press the info button on the remote, it shows the frame rate of the SOURCE material. For regular TV, this will usually be 60Hz. For Blu rays, it will be 24Hz. But the TV always does 120Hz video processing. 120Hz is also used for the 3d features of the TV, or to provide two full screen independent images at 60Hz to users. These features require special glasses and must be supported by the source material"