Samsung Refrigeratorglass breaks/dangerous

C Review updated:

We bought a samsung fridge at best buy about 2 years ago. We were packing to move into our new home. My sister took the first shelf out of the fridge to clean it, and as soon as the wash cloth touched the shelf it exploded!!! There were thousands of little pieces everywhere. Thank goodness my sister wears glasses. The glass flew across the room into the workers hair, all over the floor, it was a terrible mess. We went immediately to read the manual. On page 11 of the manual it states transparent, unbreakable shelves. That is a lie and not only misleading to the consumer but a grave danger. I thank god the children were not present and no one was hurt. The model #'s for all the refrigerators with these defective breakable glass shelves are

Rb195bssb, rb215bssb, and the letters are sw and vq.

Plus all the other refrigerators sold by samsung during the last 3 years.
Does your manual same tempered?? Do your shelves say temperd, are they tempered? They are like a bomb waiting to explode.

We have since found out that in the past year samsung now states they have put tempered glass in the newer refrigerators. All the models that were sold with glass and falsely labeled as "unbreakable" need to be recalled before a very serious injury accurs. Please share it you have had this experience. If you have not had this experience check out your shelves before someone you know gets seriously injured.

• Sr
    Srividhya Ramamurthy May 23, 2020

Our Samsung refrigerator was bought two years back - the twin cooling plus model . I took the glass tray to clean it. The glass shattered and cracked into thousand pieces. Thankfully didn't fall in my eyes and children were not around. Samsung has to look into this issue and fix it since it has happened for so many people .

• Bo
    Bob Sackimanow II Dec 22, 2018

Just had this issue occur on our unit. Called Samsung and was told since its out of warranty they had no responsibility. Informed them this was clearly a health and safety issue, but frankly their response shows they could care less. Will file a formal complaint with Federal Trade Commision and state Attorney General. That's what others who experienced this same problem need to do.

• Monica Keegan Allen Nov 28, 2018

Last night my husband reached for a can on the top shelf and it literally EXPLODED and tempered glass was everywhere . I’m going to Best Buy this AM . It’s a little over a year old and unacceptable to me that this happened !!

Chris Bulatewicz Feb 25, 2018

My shelf spontaneously shattered - Samsung RF28HMEDBBC/AA

Comments
    Comments

• De
    DeeDee3 Jun 27, 2017

Obviously Samsung hasn't address this problem, as it's 2017 and it's still happening. One of our shelves exploded right inside the fridge today. Needless to say we had to throw away a lot of food... Will contact Samsung tomorrow, but not feeling good about this after finding this board. Seems to me a recall should have happened years ago, judging by the number of complaints

• Am
    ambica_jain Jul 28, 2015

Same thing happened to me this morning when took out the top glass shelf for cleaning. After cleaning it, my maid was taking it when it suddenly exploded into millions of pieces. Left her with both thumbs bleeding profusely. Called customer support to know they are sorry and I can get it replaced at near by service center.
    Knowing it is such a common occurrence and the risk associated with it, it should be recalled immediately

• Mi
    Mike A Hill May 04, 2015

Same thing happened to my wife in the middle of the night. She took the glass shelf above the fruit and vegetable drawer and was carrying it over to the sink. She took the clips out and was tilting it forward to try to attempt to get the glass out and It literally exploded and shattered into very little pieces before she even removed it. She didn't even get to clean it.

• Re
    Rebeccake88 Feb 11, 2015

Tonight I was cleaning my fridge. Removed the glass above the fresh produce drawers and was carrying it over to my sink when it exploded into every corner of my kitchen. I spent an hour trying to collect every shard of glass so my family would not cut themselves. This is an unbelievable safety concern; I've never dealt with sharper shards of glass and the explosion scattered them everywhere. It's to my total surprise this is a common occurrence.

• Pe
    Peggy4143 May 19, 2014

This just happened to my daughter - when is Samsung going to stand behind these and recall them? Are they going to wait until someone is really hurt??? Thank goodness her baby twin girls were not in the room because the glass went EVERYWHERE!!!

• To
    toninz May 17, 2014

Same thing happened to our samsung fridge. It had been delivered 24 hours earlier. A brand new purchase. No one was touching or even near the fridge when the shelf above the fruit and vegetable rack exploded sending glass everywhere. Thousands of pieces of glass. Photographic evidence was provided to the company. A new shelf was delivered but no follow up on the complaint, which is more a safety concern. It is disturbing that others have had the same problem and the company has not addressed the issue. I live in New Zealand so this is obviously a world wide issue.

• Im
    Imbanter Aug 20, 2012

I have a Samsung french door refrigerator and the exact same thing happened to me with the glass shelf above my fruit and vegetable drawer. I let it sit at room temp for at least 4 hours and then used warm water to wash it and it literally exploded in my hand.

max Borges Aug 13, 2012

Samsung refrigerators are boxes full of suprises, on June 2nd I pruchase a side by side, the icemaker was diffective. The retailer made the exchange without giving me any problem, the second refrigerator stop producing ice after 35 days, since July 27th I have been fighting Samsung for a refund. They refuse to exchange the diffective refrigerator. The office of the president told me that they have to repair the refrigerator several time before they can exchange it. I am urging anyone that is in need of a refrigerator to get a different brand. You don't want to buy this brand, it sucks

• Ev
    Evey Fernandez Nov 02, 2011

The same exact thing happened to me!!! I own a Samsung double door fridge. I removed the "tempered" glass shelf above my fruit and vegetable drawer to clean it. It literally exploded and shattered into very little pieces shortly after I removed it. I didn't even get to clean it. The pieces spread across my kitchen, dining room and hallway covered about 400 square foot of my home. I am also glad that I had glasses on, otherwise who knows if this could've caused damage to my eye! I am now dealing with their Customer Relations department, and I am not happy with their response!!! I am fighting this...

• Pr
    Preeti A Singh Aug 01, 2011

I bought samsun refrigerator on 20 june 11, but i foung its 3 pin plug already damaged.i've complaint 2 times but got no response from retailer.plz do the needful.

• Cg
    cg1 Mar 02, 2009

That is very scary. I would be afraid to touch another shelf.