Sallie Mae Private Student Loan / Fees for forbearance, no help from customer service

NC, United States Review updated:

Sallie Mae is terrible--all of the agents with whom I spoke C40169, C40256, etc. told me that they did not have a designated customer service brach. Well, I checked the BBB wesite, and yes, Sallie Mae does have a Customer Adovcate Unit.

Here is the information:

Ms. Kelly Mahoney
Customer Advocate Unit
P.O. Box 4200
Wilkes Barre, PA 18773

[protected]

I suggest that you get all of your ducks in a row before you call them: 1. get a sallie mae agent number for everyone with whom you speak, 2. document each converstation and the outcome of the converstation noting the agent # who gave you the information, 3. Send the Customer Adovate Unit a detailed letter outlining this documentation and your concerns, 4. Make sure you send the letter directly to Kelly Mohoney with, and this part is crucial, USPS restricted delivery mail (this ensures Kelly Mahoney receives and signs for your letter--and you receive documentation from the US Postal Service). Also, I think it may be a criminal offence if Sallie Mae declines your letter.

I have been strugging with Sallie Mae for three months and this is the only course of action that works. Yes, it is time consuming, but I am convinced it is one of the only ways to resolve your issues unless you seek help from an outside source.

Si

Comments

• Si
      Jul 25, 2011

I lost my job and I am trying to apply for forbearance until I get another job. I don't have money to pay. Sallie Mae are asking me to pay $150.00, so they can postpone my payments for 3 months. I asked to speak to supervisor, of corporate office. I was told that I am not allowed to contact corporate office and they don't have a number for them. I was told that corporate office doesn't deal with people like me.
    I wanted to reach english speaking representative, but I am getting those people with horrible accents and phony names. I am not sure if they are Indians or some other eastern country. I did not get any help from customer service.

I have another private loan, who helped me to go on forbearance without any fees for 6 months or until I get the job. Sallie Mae are ripping people off. Blood suckers. How is it possible that organisation doesn't have corporate managet to talk to? And why Sallie Mae doesn't want to help people to pay off their loans? All I asked for was to give me a couple of months. I want to deal with it myself. I have cosigners and I don't want them to get in trouble because of me.

• Si
      Jul 25, 2011

I copied someone else's post under my complaint. I think this post will be helpful. I will try to reach some representative, but I don't believe that Sallie Mae will work with me to help me to pay my loans. I can't even talk to their supervisors:

I have another private loan, who helped me to go on forbearance without any fees for 6 months or until I get the job. Sallie Mae are ripping people off. Blood suckers. How is it possible that organisation doesn't have corporate managet to talk to? If someone knows how I can contact corporate manager, please let me know