Sallie Mae / Co-signer uninformed

1 Minneapolis, MN, United States Review updated:

I co-signed a student loan for my son. Sallie Mae kept calling me at home and the callers were not very nice and tended to upset me after a major heart attack. I then wrote them and told them not to call me at home anymore. Now they have cut me off of all communication regarding the loan and continue to put bad ratings on my credit score. They have refused to take my son to court over this matter and are ruining my life. Is there anything I can do to get off of this merry-go-round? Please advise soon.

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Ba
      13th of Oct, 2008

Write to your legislators and ask them to investigate the problem. That is their job, to represent you, they will forward your complaint to the correct regulatory agency and write to Sallie Mae themselves. Companies don't like that. This year, Bank of America was doing the same sort of thing, outright stealing from us, and they jacked us around for weeks. One letter from our senator and they gave us our money back and apologized.

Also, we all need to be writing our legislators, demanding reform.

• Al
      10th of Nov, 2008

You cosigned on the loan. This means you are responsible for the payment if the borrower does not pay. Sorry that it's stressful to you, but they have to call! It's due diligence! Did you talk about temporary forbearance and deferment options? That will stop the calls, you know.