Safewayrotten certified organic egg

Black mold and a milky liquid filled one end of an organic grade a brown egg. This carton of organic eggs certified by "quality assurance international" was purchased 12/24/2008, expired 1/10/2009 and was opened on 1/1/2009.

I consider this grossly contaminated, unbroken, uncracked egg a major failure of safeway, lucerne foods, inc., and organic certifier processing, inspection, handling and food safety requirements.

This product from safeway marked with a jan 10 pf 347-p-1686a expiration mark was a major, potentially fatal, food safety failure. It is a serious failure of safeway/lucerne policies and procedures.

I requested that safeway contact me with a report on this failure and will repost when/if i receive a response.

Comments

• Di
      Jan 03, 2009

I also had an egg that had black material at one end. (I had soft-boiled it). In the previous carton of "Safeway Brown Organics" eggs, I had two fertilized eggs. (again soft-boiled) I contacted Safeway about the previous carton and plan to contact them about the black material.

• Di
      Jan 03, 2009

My carton with the egg with the black material inside it was bought on Sunday, 12/14/08, opened 01/01/09, and had a 01/05/09 sell by date. The # below the sell by date was 342P-1686-P.