Royal Caribbean / bad customer service

Buyer Beware applies here. I just got back from a Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas. It was barely 'okay' because after spending a lot of money for the cruise we got on board only to find that so many things cost extra like juice at lunch, the arcade, yoga classes, and band-aids. (They wanted 50 cents for a band-aid.) All these extra costs ruined the rest of the cruise, and they don't care! The food was okay but there really wasn't a lot to do on the largest cruise ship in the world. My suggestion: go when it's cheap or don't go at all! Spend your money on a trip to Grand Cayman or Kauai where you're not at the mercy of other people! If you do go on a cruise surf the net for complaints like this one.

Va

Comments

• Et
      31st of Oct, 2008

We have been on the Freedom twice and we LOVED the ship, the crew and the excursions. Any vacation is what you make of it. Of course, we spent most of our time on the Flow Rider and at the adult pool. There is always something to do and they tell you UP FRONT that you have to pay for juice, cokes and booze. We have already booked a cruise for the new ship, the Oasis and can't wait. I recommend the Freedom to all my friends and family. As a matter of fact, it was because of our videos and pictures from our first cruise last year that our friends went with us this year and throughout the entire trip, they kept thanking us for inviting them along and telling us how much fun they were having.

• Ha
      29th of May, 2009

I agree that there will always be extra costs on a cruise ship. I have been on the Rhapsody and had a blast. Everyone is told up front about extra costs, I am especially glad that the booze isn't free or the ship would be overflowing with drunks. So what if soda isn't free. I'm more concerned about seeing the world and spending time with friends and family.

• Su
      3rd of May, 2010

Yes, there are many extras you can buy on a cruise but the choice is up to you to buy them. You can go on a cruise and not spend a penney more if you choose or you can spend thousands more on alcohol, internet, excursions, shopping, specialty dining venues, etc. It's your choice and I agree they do tell you up front, soda and alcohol is not included and juice is only included during breakfast hours. As for the bandaid it's no secret medical costs on any ship are a fortune and we always carry first aid kits to have the basics like baidaids and OTC meds just like we would on a land vacation. A hospital on land would charge your insurance company 5.00 for the same baidaid so .50 is a bargain! All cruiselines offer brochures, ticket contracts, etc. explaining all the details about a cruise. People need to take the time to read these things before they book a cruise so they know what to expect to avoid unpleasant surprises.

• Gr
      25th of Apr, 2011

My first RCI cruise was on the Granduer in 1998 (It was my fifth cruise) Our only complaint was a glitch with one of our boys cards. He couldn't buy anything. They took care of that - No Problems. I have since been on 7 more cruises with various family members and groups up to 44 people) Five of them on RCI, Voyager, Explorer 2 times, Adventure, and Freedom. I have no complaints!! On recommendations by our travel agent for a last minute cruise, we sailed on Princess' Crown Princess. My husband and I just got back four weeks ago tomorrow. We are going back to RCI for a cruise on the Oasis next october with our large group, who warned us not to stray.
    Princess was just not up to the standards of RCI, In service and ESPECIALLY in cleanliness!!! They did upgrade us to a mini sweet at the last minute. This was nice as it was our 37th wedding aniversary!!
    As for the complaint about all the little thing they charge for on the cruises, My first sailing was in 1988 and as far as I can remember, it has always been this way.
    My best recommendation is for people to book a balcony cabin!!
    Five of our first six were inside cabins or promenade cabins. I have too save a little longer, but it is definately worth the extra money!!!
    We are CRUISE LOVERS we will go as many times as we can. We may try another line occasionally, but RCI to date is the top of the line as far as we are concerned!!!
    Grandma B