Rent a Center - Galveston, Texas / rip off its customers

This is a major business that intentionally rips off its customers. The business should not be allowed to charge so much interest and sometimes charges that are not explained. I was recently ripped off by RAC here in Galveston Texas. I had been a customer of RAC since 1998. My first purchased from RAC was a bunk bed set for my daughters and to say it was paid for and I did not have much hassle from them. I ended up paying $3500 for a bunk bed that would have cost much less in a regular furniture store. The interest was ridiculous. Then again on December 21, 2005, I purchased a bedroom set for myself. Upon purchasing the bedroom the representative was very kind and said he would do anything to make my purchase a success, which soon turned into disaster. The statement he made was a lie. About six months into making payments on a bi-weekly basis, they begin to harass me for the payments. If I was one or two days late, someone was calling my home or my job demanding payment.. Then they would not ask you when you were coming into the store, they would tell you what time are in expecting to be in their store.

They are very rude workers and I would advise no one to purchase or do any kind of business with them. To this day I have lost $4785 recently on July 16, 2006 because I only had to pay less than $400 to pay off total cost of my bedroom and they showed up at my home to pick it up because it was late and they did not want the money. So literally they made me pay all the money for the bedroom and then waited until I owed a small amount and took it from me. They harassed my kids and husband and took my bedroom while I was not at home. The representatives are unfair and love to argue with their customers who is wrong and it is nothing can be done about it. I have tried to contact the corporate offices for this agency but it is hopeless and I would really love to file a suit against them for all the harassing calls to my job, to my family, and wrong doings the store has done. So please do not get caught up in the web of lies from Rent a Center. They are here to rip off all customers and resell your property for double amounts.

Sincerely,
Tamala
Galveston Texas

Ta

Comments

• Sy
      1st of Jul, 2007

I rent from the store in Big Rapids, Michigan and when I started my contract I want to know if I could have them take money off my debit card from time to time. They said the only way was to come in and fill out a paper with all my information so they could keep it on file. So I did. The next month I was a day late so I called and told them they said fine. When I got my bank statement I notice that there was a attempt to charge from Rentacenter. I did not say anything because there wasn't enough money in that account for them to get anything. The next month the same thing happen only this time it made a check bounce so I called and of course they said some one called and gave them permission to do it. This wasn't true. I raise all kinds of h*** and they paid for my bounce check fee from the bank and the store but now when ever I am late with a payment or call for any reason they are really cold and unhelpful. Really nasty acting when I come in with my payments. My last question was, where is all of my money going? In April I owed 388.00 and now in July I still owe 312.00. This is at 51.00 payments. So I will never go back to Rentacenter again and I advised ever one else to leave them alone.

Truly sincere,
    Sylvia

27th of Sep, 2007

My husband works for Rent-A-Center. If you couldn't make your payments you should have just returned your items until you could afford it. You can always pick your items back up and all the money that you previously paid is still credited to the item. It is actually a great thing for those with no credit or a huge sum of money. Plus if you used a credit card, they would charge just the same if not more $ in interest. When they call to collect payments, they are just doing their jobs. Can you imagine having to call people to collect their payments? It isn't fun for those who work their either I suppose.

Now, the thing that makes me mad about Rent-A-Center is how they treat my husband. They always want him to come in on his days off, however, the boss and two of the other employees are always outside during working hours throwing a football around. The only way the boss gets away with anything is because his boss happens to be his cousins husband... isn't that considered a conflict of interest?

Oh well...

12th of Jan, 2008

This company can charge whatever they want as far as intrest is concerned. If you don't like it, don't rent from them. How else would this business make any money? They are actually doing you a favor by taking payments and not having to take a huge chunk of money out of your bank account for an item.

31st of Mar, 2008

I RECENTLY HAVE BEEN PURCHASING A BED FROM RENTA CENTER.THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG BED AND FOR ONE YEAR I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THEY WOULD FIX IT.NOW THEY WON'T EVEN TALK TO ME .CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHO I COULD TALK TO.THANKS

• Gi
      22nd of Apr, 2008

Rent a Center was involved in a huge class action lawsuit, back in 1999 I believe...I got all my money back from a sofa set I had rent to owned...THey actually tracked me down, 8 years after my last payment!!! I was so surprised, happily...Since then, I believe they cannot use the term rent to own. They were sued, class action, for the amount of interest they charged all their customers...Maybe, this is something you folks should look into..Starting up another class action lawsuit against them..and yes, even back then, it was their normal practice to constantly HARASS their clients to get a payment, even if it was a day late...They are a bunch of sharks, and I dont know how their employees sleep at night...

20th of May, 2008

I work for rent a center and I sleep very well at night! when someone comes in and rents they sign and agree they will make their payment before or on the due date its not like its something they dont know rent a center trys to provide a service to peope who just cant go out and purchase it straight out. payments are set up on their pay sched. So if you cant afford your payment return it then you can get it back and start where you left off. Rent a cent has a life time reinstatement. If you loose your car you cant get it back and start where you left off.