Rent a Center / horrible!

So my husband and i went to rent a center, only because we had bought my fathers house and had it fully furnished with our furniture, and rented it out and the women who was living there we were evicting, so she stole all of our furniture, but thats another story, so anyway we go to rent a center, get our household items and think that everything is fine, we go in every saturday to make the payment, then saturdays were not working for us so we pay the extra to switch it to Mondays, well we were 3 days late on te payment rent a center had called us on all 3 phones 8 times on each, we are at work it is not neccesarry to call anyone that much, so then we atart getting calls from the people that are are refferences, there calling them now, again and again and again, so we let them know that we would not be available to come down there till the weekend as we had to leave the state for an emergency, as we left our children at home with a babysitter, GUESS WHO SHOWS UP ... RENT A CENTER. Funny after we told them that we were not avail any way the baby sitter answers the door and they say that they nbeed to come in the house right now to remove our items, she said what no you are not, he then proceeds to try to push her out of the way and enter our home, WHAT???????? she says that we are not home and they are not allowed to come in, the rent a center employee then starts peeking in the windows and asking who was sitting on the couch and questioning the baby sitter, so she calls me and i tell her to shut and lock the door and call the police, i call rent a center and tell them that they are doing illegal things and they are no longer allowed to come to my house they said thats fine we will just take this to court you have 2 options were coming now to pick up the stuff or we will see you in court i said fine take me to court, so in the mean time the police go to my house to the frightened baby sitter and say that what they are doing is very illegal and let them know that, i call rent a center again and want to give them my credit card number and he said no we will not except anymore payments from you, i just hung up, then the next day they are banging on my door again and calliong again with a proposal to solve the problem, since then they call every day 18 times a day and stop by all the time i refuse to talk to them and to open the door sometimes it is me and just 2 small children at home and i am afraid that they are just going to enter, every time that they come they see if the door is unlocked and one time they even went to the back door, im am afraid as my husband works noghts and the scarier thing is is that they park down the street so you dont know that they are there. WTF??????? so 3 days ago we got served with a small claims action against us, now since being served why the hell are they calling 29 times a day and stopping by. I am going to let the judge know that this is pure and total harrassment, we have now made 3 reports with the police. Is this ok, or has this happened to you???? Please let me know...

Ld

Comments

• Va
      18th of Jul, 2008
    Rent-A-Center - Very rude and unhelpful manager
    Rent-A-Center
    rentacenter.com

I have been doing business for a few years at rac in Princeton West Virginia. Had always had friendly and helpful employees in this store until the last couple of years. Especially the manager the new lady manager has been very rude since day one that she transferred here.

Arguing with customers about what they want and being very untruthful if had any problems with items she would not even try to help.

As I said before had been a very good customer in past had purchased most of my major appliances from rac never late on payments and did a lot of referring. But since have had so much unpleasantness will not buy anything else here again, and will also never referrer another person to them.

• Lo
      27th of Oct, 2008

I entered the Roxboro store on Sept 11, 2008 I saw the suit and said I wanted it, but didn"t put any money on it cause I knew I couldn't get the suit until the next month, cause I had to get rid of mines.OK the agreement was drawn up I received the suit on the 3rd of october I was given a months free because I've bought so much stuff from the Roxboro store. and is always on time. OK so oneday the week of the 23rd of oct. I recieved the first phone call that my bill was late, and again this morning the 27th of oct. and as I tried to explain I was given a months free and that my bill shouldn't be due until the 3rd of Nov. As in the pass I've had no problems in the paying my bill. But if I was given a months free than if I received my suit on Oct3rd than a month fron Oct 3rd is Nov 3rd but please excuse me if Iam wrong on this I just want this to be straighten out. I don't wanna walk in this store with a lotta tension facing me . Thanks Please fix this.

• Li
      7th of Jan, 2009
    Rent A Center - Fraudulent activity
    rentacenter.com

Someone has to get a handle on Rent a Center. I rented a couch set from Rent a Center and my sister rented a computer, I was current and on time with my payments, the first time they showed up at my door and told me I had to pay the rest of my sisters account or they were going to take it out of my payment and make me late on MY account. At the time I didn't understand how RAC worked so I went ahead and paid off her computer and kept my account current. Just recently I fell behind on my weekly payments, the first time i fell behind I was two days late when the RAC manager called my job seven times when I couldn't get on the phone with them, I had 11 missed calls on my cell phone from RAC, when my cell phone wasn't answered they came to my second job looking for me. After doing all of that to get a hold of me I was intimidated to go back to pay my bill so I sent a friend to pay it for me.

I have been late on my payments and am currently late, but not because I don't have the money to pay but because each time they have come to my house (every day) they bully, harass, and threaten, my 16 year old son, my roommate my sons friends and anyone else who opens the front door. When they show up at my house I hide in my room, I need to make my payment but I am scared to go the RAC store. There has got to be a law against a company coming to your place of employment and calling you 50 times a day where you work, I don't know what to do next.

• Ld
      19th of Jan, 2009
    Rent A Center - Poor Service
    Watertown
    New York

I contacted Rent-A-Center located in Watertown, New York on November 1, 2008 regarding a replacement for a leather dinning room bench chair that was still under warranty as. Please note that i have made all payments monthly totaling $234.00 and they didn't even have the decency to contact me regarding the status of the replacement for a two month period. I had to call them in order to receive updated information. Today i am frustrated and bothered beyond belief. Today is January 19, 2009 and i just received the wrong item, so now they expect me to continue making payments as well as wait another two months for the right replacement. I am so serious, this place must be crazy as hell if they think i will EVER do business with them ever again after this. I also will not make another payment until services are rendered and i dare them to come to my house and think they are going to remove anything from my house since i have invested too much in this purchase.

I also have contacted Corporate Office in regards to this matter, so i am expecting a call back from them.

• So
      19th of Jan, 2009

Dear Sir,

I am a store manager with Rent A Center and I would like to offer you some suggestions. From my experience there are three possible reasons why it may have taken so long:
    1. The vendor may have been backed up on that particular part.
    2. The store may have forgotten to order it for a week or two or
    3. A mixture of both.

My suggestion is that you talk to the store manager. Ask him or her to find that same dinnette in another store. If another store has that particular dinette they could go to that store and get it, and give you the piece that you require, and the store could just be short that piece until the vendor gets them a replacement.

If you have only had the dinnette a month or two you could ask the manager to order you a brand new one and then switch it out for the one you have when it comes in.(no new paper work would be required other than a reciept just stating that the item was switch-out.)

On behalf of the company I apologize for the inconvienence you have experienced. If you have any questions please message me. I would be glad to help as best as I can.

RAC Store Manager

11th of Feb, 2009
    Rent A Center - The most irresponsible advertising ever!
    Rent A Center

To try to get those without credit to "rent to own" and use the current economic situation as a reason to do so, is the most irresponsible advertising I have ever seen. I am disgusted with this company! Do not do it! Do not do it. If you do not have the money or credit to make purchases through normal channels (cash, bank loans, credit cards) you will only make your situation worse by overextending yourself further. This is absolutely crazy! There is a clearly defined line between wants and needs. Be sure that you are only covering your NEEDS during this time.

5th of Apr, 2009

If you don't have the money... use credit cards. Wow What a genius. James Hawk please treat yourself to a great big steaming hot cup of Shut TF up!!

• Db
      14th of Jul, 2009

Obviously you were more then 3 days late.

• Aa
      15th of Jul, 2009

They are able to come get product if you go past your due date. Most places will let you go up to 30 days before p/u the product.

If your account goes 60 days in arrears then it gets sent to the legal department & collections. This is were you get told to pay or turn product over. Failure to due so they obtain judgement against you.

This leads to bank & wage garnishees, house leans, Warrents for you.

Never let these go to collections because the outcome will haughnt you for lfe.

• Ra
      29th of Jul, 2009

Mail in your payment. The employee's are under tremdous stress to get in past due money. If you were at work and told you cant go home until the customer pays what would you do? It might not seem like a big deal to you to be late but it is to RAC. Job threatened weekly because someone does not pay on time.

• Im
      7th of Aug, 2009

I'm looking at the reply from "Aaron's Sales & Lease Problems"...Pal, you really should learn how to spell.
    were should be where
    garnishees should be garnishments
    leans should be liens
    warrents should be warrants
    haughnt should be haunt
    You also left out several words that may help your reply make sense but it's doubtful.

Let's get one thing straight right away, RAC cannot put a lien on your house. It's obvious that you're talking about something that is above your intelligence.
    Harassment is harassment in whatever form it takes.
    There will be no warrants, there may be a judgement though.
    Get a grip and stop talking out of your ###.

• He
      7th of Oct, 2017

@ImAnAss yes they can. they put a lien on my dads house, and hes never had a rent a center agreement. it was someone with the same name as him, living in the same area. didnt even know it til he went to sell his house, and couldnt because rent a center had a lien on the deed.

7th of Aug, 2009

Definately get your phone records, a statement from the babysitter, and keep a personal log of all contact from them to help you in court.

• Ci
      26th of Aug, 2009

First, when you sign that rental agreement you are giving them the right to contact you: by phone, through the references you give, and the right to come to your home. Let's face it, if you are renting stuff, you have bad credit or credit that is bad enough that you can't get what you need (or want) from another source. By renting through places like rent-a-center, it is a silent message that your credit is bad enough; there is a reason for that (late payments or no payments on previous agreements you made with someone else). So, what is a business to do when individuals do not pay when they agree to pay? They give you a call. Sorry we missed you, you can pay by phone and online, why didn't you? Sure you were out of town or whatever, but if you were really going to pay you would have called and say sorry and can I pay my payment online or over the phone. The reason they call so many times a day is to give you the opportunity to keep your stuff. If you ignore them, again what is a business to do? Just let you have it? No, it's a business just like any other. If you don't pay your electric bill what happens? Do they just let you use it up without paying, no they shut it off. Once you decided to go the route of not paying they have a system, and that is calling as much as possible, retrieving the merchandise if possible, and if not sending you to collections. It's all on the rental agreement, look under the section of arbritration (and if I misspelled anything, it is not a sign of unintelligence, just boredom).

• Do
      28th of Sep, 2009

I entered into a contract for the television with terms 90 days. I understood that I was given two weeks free and was to receive a gift certificate toward another television. Note that I have not received the gift certificate.

My records show that while I’ve been late on some payments, I’ve paid 90 days. One of the representatives now informs me that I have an additional 90 days because of the late payments and my choices are either to make the payments, return the television, or there will be a warrant out for my arrest.

• Gl
      29th of Oct, 2009

im going threw that now the way the economy is i lost my job have 2 kids raising myself i paid a year on this crap i cant pay it.im not givin this crap back when i paid half of it.i paid for this crap 2 times probably.they cant put u in jail.a judgement for the stuff yes, im just waiting for the papers any day.they do harass you im dealing with aaron rents just as bad as all.i honestly thought i had a year not really bothering looking at paperwork which was retarted, i paid 10 months thought ill just pay off when i get income tax they came i went there i had 450 cash they said i owes1800another year plus 3 months i flipped .i didnt look at paperwork cuz all commercials say 12 month rentals.im the idiot.but times r tuff i couldnt pay.you would think they would report you to credit bureau but no they want to get it back to do same thing to someone else.that couch and endtables probly worth 20000 by now what a joke

• St
      19th of Nov, 2009
    Rent A Center - Terrible company
    rentacenter.com

It began when they delivered the wrong stuff And its been a nightmare! since. no customer satisfaction from this company! gave me a burrow with three legs! put it in the corner. they dont tell you about the one sided mattresses! that cost you a fortune. oh the hidden late fee which isnt on the balance its per item!and the its outta my control attitude when it comes to customer service. im really busy an ive had enough! I just paid three payments and found out it went too sum phantom bill! WHAT!!! An now they dont know who processed my payment!!! and now the threats!

• Vg
      5th of Dec, 2009

I never had any problems with this company and they don't even call me to remaind me to make my payments. I'm renting a new Washer/Dryer from them and i make my monthly payments on the 3rd of every month. Why would you pay weekly? you have more chances of been late. This company gives you the opportunity of getting the stuff that you need for your home... But don't rent 5 sets if you can't afford them.
    Let's keep in mind that this is a "Rent to Own agreement" the merchandise its not yours untill is paid in full...
    If you don't pay your apt rent What happens??? you get evicted... right? when i can't make it to the store i call & i pay over the phone or i just go online and i make my payment. FOR THOSE WHO ARE TRYING TO OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THIS COMPANY DON'T BE AFFRAID...MAKE SURE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD WHAT YOU ARE GETTING... they even offer 3 months same as cash.

• Cr
      10th of Jul, 2010

rac and all people that work there r a-holes they would call at 8am on the due date to remind us and i got home from work at 5am we were never late my girl would pay on the due date at 12 her lunch break and they knew that they are lucky they never came to my house

• Ra
      1st of Oct, 2010

Some of the things I agree with and some I don't. They kept changing the due dates on me, and they kept changing from monthly to weekly to biweekly. I don't know when it is ever due?

• Bl
      11th of Oct, 2010

I know, I know, spending money renting things from rentacenter is expensive but for many years I choose to deal with them. Yes, I did use the 90 day same as cash pay off for several items. I did go past the 90 days on other items but I was dealing with a very sick hubby and only working part-time so it was the easy thing for me, at that time.

Fast forward to this past spring. I finally paid off everything, owned it all. And thought, ok, end of the endless phone calls, and other annoying habits of rentacenter employees. Then my computer went on the blink and I went back to rentacenter to get another one. Ok, then I added a digal video camera, and was 2 days from finishing paying it off. Yes, I know, but the new manager is just an a hole and insulted me. I "should be able to make a 2 week payment". I can pay once a week, but they insist that thee only good day to bring in my payment is Sat. which is my busiest work day. The one day they close early. So since I didn't have the money to pay for two weeks I gave everything back. Oh, I had my weekly payment, and I will admit it was late, but hey, I work long hours and their customer service phone attitude can really rub me the wrong way. I will be on the phone explaining why I can't come in (i am at work, and can't leave until after they are closed) and as soon as I hang up, a different employee will call, demanding to know when I am coming in! Didn't I just speak to someone who is in the SAME building as you, at the next desk, don't they share the same data base. That is why, they can't figure out how to tell the other person working there, that they just spoke to you and so the next one calls, and then the next one calls, and with each call, I am getting more and more annoyed. Nope, save your money, buy it used, or go without, but don't, I repeat, don't rent it at rentacenter. The whole corp. attitude is their customer, me, you, are all a bunch of lazy no gooders who can't do any better then to rent from them and should be treated like thugs or thiefs if we are a day or two late. Oh, and I really do wonder if they actually pay the state all that resale "tax" they charge each and every week. How much to they put in their pockets?