Real Canadian Superstore / false advertising

1 Eglinton and Don MillsToronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

"The Real Canadian Superstore" has a 10% student discount every Tuesday for any student who shows their valid student I.D before the purchase. Of course there are exceptions to this discount which were listed in the advertisements and big signs. Understandable. Some of these exceptions are lottery, alcohol, eye glass repair, tobacco etc. Understandable.

Now, I looked at the list very carefully and made sure my purchase items were not on the list but when I went to check out, I was denied this student discount after I showed them my student I.D. I was buying baby formula. Not only was baby formula not on the list, it does not even fall into any of the same categories of any of the exempted items.

When talking to the manager, he was very uncooperative and when I asked him why baby formula doesn't qualify for this discount he said "The computer says it's not included". If it is not included, why is it not listed on the advertisements and signs? I went to the Superstore on Monday and when I saw the signs for the discount, I decided not to stock up on baby formula that day and instead go home and come back on Tuesday to get in on this discount. But due to this false advertisement, I wasted my time and my gas money. Not only was the customer service manager very impolite and disrespectful, he did not explain anything and the whole time, was just trying to brush me away. And I'm not just complaining about the money I would've saved (10% off a $250 purchase is still worth complaining about), it's the fact that the customer service was so poor.

This encounter also makes me think; is this a discrimination against students of an ethnic minority? Is baby formula not included in the student discount because students "shouldn't" need baby formula? As if life isn't hard enough raising a daughter at a young age while still in school, I have to endure this kind of discrimination?

Even if this is not the case, the list did not include baby formula and I think that I was entitled to the 10% discount. But since I was led to believe I would get this discount because of false advertising and then denied it, on top of being treated very poorly because of the disrespectfulness of the customer service employees, I will never shop at a "Real Canadian Superstore" again, especially the one located on Don Mils and Eglinton, in Toronto, Ontario.

Comments

• Ki
      18th of Jul, 2011
    The real Canadian Superstore - out dates
    Duncan
    British Columbia
    Canada

I went shopping to Superstore and decided to check the Deli. There I saw a beer cheese dated best before July 18 but not being reduced. Looking all around I noticed that other products like salads, cheese dips, salami, hams with 50% off tag were dated also July 18. So I went to deli employee asking to put 50% off on that cheese too. She called supervisor instead. Supervisor came and told me that she needs to toss that cheese to the garbage instead because it's dated July 18 and today is July 18. I told her that everything else dated July 18 is on the floor with 50% off sticker so she should give me that sale and let me buy it. She got very upset saying that she didn't have time to pull out out dates and then she left upstairs without bothering to pull out old product or telling her employees to do it. Then I called store manager Cathrin. She told me that cheese is a different product so it has to be toss away on the date while salads, sandwiches with cheese, fruits, cheese dips are OK to be sold on the best before day. Then she left because I wasted her time. I tell you those salads and fruits looked like hell, but the smelly cheese which I know will be good for at least another day is sitting on the back counter in deli and not in my fridge.
    I know that this Duncan Superstore have a lot of products out dated not only for days but for months. In August 2011 I found cans dated September 2010. So every one check the dates.

• Gr
      12th of May, 2012

Omg don't start playing the discrimination because your a minority card! If baby formula is not on the list then it's not on the list LEAVE IT AT THAT.

1st of Oct, 2018

While I agree with you on most part, you lost the battle when you claimed that this was discrimination. The computer does not know your ethnic background. If the computer does not allow baby formula to be used with the student discount, it does not matter what ethnic background you are you won't be allowed to use the student discount. You lost your battle when you implied this was a racially related issue. Also it sounds to me like they were polite to you, but you just did not agree with what they said and are mistaking that as rude. You had a valid complain until you ruined it by playing the race card. What a shame.

1st of Oct, 2018

"I will never shop at a "Real Canadian Superstore" again, especially the one located on Don Mils and Eglinton, in Toronto, Ontario."

Most likely you returned the next week, or pretty soon.

22nd of Oct, 2018

What you think you are entitled to, and what you are actually entitled to are two different things.

• Pe
      22nd of Oct, 2018

@Fine Young Aiden 2005 Exactly, I think I am entitled to a new car every year, but that is only in thought..

23rd of Oct, 2018

@PeterPP If they don't let you have a car for free, you can always accused them of discrimination based on your ethnic background.

• Pe
      28th of Oct, 2018

@First Born Triplet Thanks, I'll do that.