RBS CashBack Platinum MasterCard / Avoid this company at all costs!

For a number of years, I have had an RBS CashBack Platinum Mastercard which I kept in good standing. In December, my statement did not arrive and I missed the payment.

I received a call from the company a week after the due date. I explained the situation and made an electronic payment immediately. With my next bill, I saw that my entire balance, previously at a 5.99% promotional rate, had jumped to a 26.24% rate!! Unlike other companies I have dealt with over the years, several calls to explain the situation and work with the company did nothing. When I expressed my desire to close my account, I was informed that if I did so before the balance was paid in full, the rate would go 2 points higher!! Avoid this company at all costs. They are looking for a chance to play "bait and switch" regardless of your credit rating or history with them.

Va

Comments

• Db
      4th of Mar, 2007

The exact same thing happened to me. I agree ~avoid this bank at all costs. They are ridiculous and need to be investigated. How all the sudden do they have the wrong address and your statement is returned to them they still charge you a late fee. What a rip off. They also double dipped my checking account which was when I cancelled the card all together and was just making payments when all the sudden they have the wrong address? Or so they say. They were just looking for a way to raise the interest. Duh like I wasn't going to notice.

• Ni
      4th of Apr, 2007

RBS Head office phone number in UK is 44 131 556 8555

I summarize: Sir fred Goodwin's Bank

Bad service & couldn't care less for the customer, the higher in the organization you go the worse it gets.

In my experiance the RBS is a bank to avoid as are HBOS, in fact avoid any bank or service linked to Scotland. As far as honesty in financial services is concerned Scotland is the "east/west Africa" of the UK. Beware their brand of financial exports, they bite.

Nic Braithwaite

23rd of Jun, 2007

I am having a bad experience with RBS, too. I set up an automatic payment through my bank and the payments went in like clockwork on the 15th of each month. My payments were due the 18th.

Then RBS moved the date up 4 days so that my June 2007 payment arrived one day late by their calculations. They charged a $39 late fee.

When I called to complain, I was told that the payment date was variable and that they could not drop the late fee. I asked for a supervisor (Omar), who lectured me like I was a naughty child about how the bank sent me a statement and if I did not look at the statement date, that was not the bank's fault. He was pompous and cold, no customer service attitude at all.

I am writing a complaint to RBS and also sending it to my congressman and other govt. agencies. This is just the kind of predatory credit card policy that Congress has been investigating.

23rd of Jun, 2007

P.S. I fully expect the next step is for RBS to raise my promotional interest rate because of the late payment. I agree with others who complained here that they were looking for a way to raise my rate. I will report back what happens.

26th of Aug, 2007

I disagree. I have nothing but positive things to say about RBS. I have been with them for a number of years and I have never had any problems. They give me new promo offers all the time and I love their card more than any other card. Maybe it's just that you guys are making late payments and there would be a penalty of course. We are borrowing their money and they do have the right to do what their doing for not receiving their payments

6th of Mar, 2009

Well the man speaks the absolute truth. I had a perfect on time payment record, it did not make a difference. I wrote and explained it must have been I didn't complete the payment, getting old. I know i went on line because i tear up the bills when i pay. RBS's web site won't allow auto pay registration tied to the bank account, I never knew auto pay existed, so i got a missed payment and my 3.99 went to 19.99%
    I have never known any other credit card company which would not give a one time break. I closed the account, but that changes the credit score negative, because the available for use credit is lowered and the in use credit proportion is raised. I managed to get them to reopen it.
    If i ever do a transfer to RBS again, i won't miss another!!!
    But I really believe it to be their design to find or even claim ways to say they did not get the payment on time.
    We are not of any customer value to RBS and their reps really make you feel it also.
    I got one rep who actually snickered as i was telling my story and what i had sensed was a lack of being a good customer was with her.
    We do not mean craaap to them, as workers who pay the bills, taxes...they want more out of our pay check, RBS ranks high on the avoiding list if you will...