Rainsoft / high price - poor quality

Our experience with our rainsoft watersoftener has been a bad one. We paid thousands of dollars for the softener and it has been a maintenance nightmare. Every couple of years it malfunctions where it runs its brine out on to the carpet. There seems to be no warranty that applies as we are always charged for parts and labor. The latest setback has been the timer that rainsoft no longer makes parts for. Their solution is a 800.00 updated controller that costs more than entire systems purchased elsewhere. My sister and her husband were in high pressure sales of watersofteners in the 80's. They scolded me for buying rainsoft when I bought my unit in '99. They said at the time there were better softeners out there for 600.00 Just because something costs more doesnt mean its better.

Comments

• Ca
      29th of Dec, 2008

I agree--- I think there is some shady stuff going on at Rainsoft. I called Discovery Marketing (that is who Rainsoft.com told me to call for Florida) and they said I had a PAST DUE bill to cover before they would send out a repair person at $125 for the first half hour. Apparently, they rebuilt a motor last year and never told me about it! I remember calling them last year for salt delivery and they said if I bought X amount of salt that they would do a "free inspection" of my unit. Well, I left them a check for the pre-determined amount, and that was that...until now, a year later when they informed me that they had rebuilt the motor and that I still owed on it. WHAT?!?!? I never even received a bill for these unwanted repairs! The customer service person offered to take the late charges off for me...ugh. I am digusted with Rainsoft and Discovery Marketing. What a scam!

25th of Apr, 2009

I had the warantee in my hands I took it upon myself to actually READ the LIMITED LIFETIME WARANTEE. Maybe more people should actually READ. It's not that hard and it doesn't take that long.

Wouldn't anyone notice if they had a rebuilt motor? I would think that the work order would specify that this type of work was done, this is just one word against another. There are so many people out there that are super happy with their systems. Some people are just looking for something to complain about. Yes, I am implying something.