Radio Shack / they don't give refunds on toys

We purchased a Robot for the kids for Christmas. We paid $199.99. We thought it would be a really cool gift. Until the kids opened the Robot on Christmas Eve and the Robot did not work.

Well we waited until the day after Christmas to take it back to Radio Shack. They would not take it back because 1 we bought it at a Franchise, and 2 they don't give refunds on toys. Mind you it don't say this on the receipt or do they tell you this when you buy the toys! Well we drove back to the Franchise Radio Shack about 54 miles and he refused to give us a refund. but could send it off to get fixed which could take 3 to 6 months maybe. I told him no I just want our money back. ( I paid cash big mistake) That my kids had already been disappointed in this Robot as I was and I was tired of the run around and just wanted my money back to get them something else. Well he stated he was the owner and that all Radio Shacks don't give refunds on toys. Well we now have a Robot just sitting on a shelf. Buyers beware don't buy from Radio Shack.

Va

Comments

9th of May, 2007

As an employee of RadioShack I can tell you with certainty that RadioShack company run stores do give refunds on toys and about anything else. The terms are on the back of each receipt. I certainly cannot speak for an individually run franchise or dealer store but if their terms are as rigid as the complaint letter indicates they probably won't be in business very long.

• Wb
      9th of Jul, 2007

In my view, your first mistake was walking into a RadioShack. Except for maybe a watch battery, I would avoid their stores. Oh, and good luck calling customer care' with a problem... you cannot get through the absurd menu system to find them.

• Do
      20th of Jul, 2007

I recently purchased a cordless phone and answering machine from Radio Shack. I assumed it worked - thru away the box (BIG HIGH MISTAKE - how horrible of me)... then discovered that I could not walk more than 15 feet from telephone base without horrible static. I tried to return the phone (within one week of purchase) - (I was willing to get store credit towards a higher priced phone) and the manager refused to take the phone back! Stating I did not have the box... So, now I am stuck with a useless phone and answering machine. I agree with the comment about "good luck calling customer care with a problem". The menu system is absurd - and I could not even leave the hallway where my phone base is while listening to their foolish selections! Yuk!

• Ra
      26th of Jul, 2007

A franchise store has it's own return policy that is not the same as RadioShack's, even if they sell RadioShack products. With RadioShack you can return toys with the receipt and the original packaging and product, but how are we to know that you, the customer, didn't just buy the toy, throw it off of a cliff, and then put it back in the package and wanted your money back? These are things taken into consideration by management. But again, the return policy is on the back of the receipt in bold letters. We don't take products back without the package, because you might have bought it at a non-RadioShack store and are trying to retun it to a RadioShack store, or you could have stolen it, and it's a hassle to send it off to our warehouse to be repackaged and sent back, especially if it's a toy that we're trying to get rid of, and believe me, RadioShack tries to get rid of ALL of their toys during Christmas. It's unnecessary merchandise that we don't want to be stuck with the rest of the year. If that helps clear things up. My advice to you is to go to Toys R Us for your toys, not RadioShack.

• Pa
      11th of Oct, 2007

NOT REALLY A COMPLAINT. JUST LETTING YOU KNOW I AM UNABLE TO RESPOND TO YOUR EMAILS YOU SENT ME. THANK YOU!!! GREAT HEALTH TO YOU! SINCERELY PAULA!

• Pa
      11th of Oct, 2007

AGAIN HERE IS MY EMAIL BOX SHOWING YOU HOW THEY KEEP FAILING TO GO THROUGH.

From Subject Date Size
    postmaster@Tandy.com Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏ 1:04 PM 10 KB
    postmaster@Tandy.com Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏ Yesterday 8 KB
    recruiter@radioshack.com Thank you for applying to RadioShack‏ Yesterday 54 KB
    recruiter@radioshack.com Thank you for applying to RadioShack‏ Yesterday 54 KB
    Hotmail Member Services Your MSN Hotmail account is changing for the better.‏ 10/02/07 7 KB
    Hotmail Member Services Stay connected with mail, messages, and

11th of Oct, 2007

Worst store ever. Our Carthage store took a job for computer work, didn't fix it right and wouldn't refund. In addition, the older parent (run by a "Christian" family) yelled at me on the phone and even kept my advance which I have them. Big mistake. These people are just thieves.

Jon.

27th of Dec, 2007

I bought a hand held scanner radio with 800 numbers, for my husband for Christmas. On Nov.19.2007. I live on the Island, so when I go to main land. I have to shop and get supplies when the boats are running. Well, he got 2 for Christmas. So, I said I would take mine back. The day after Christmas, Dec. 26,the boat ran, so I went right to radioshack, they would not give me my money back. I paid cash. They did give me a gift card. But, there is nothing in there I wanted for $230.02. They said I had to return it with in 30 days. I tried to tell him, I live on an Island. They do not care if you live on the friggin moon. I guess, I will have to spend the gift card there. But, it's not my best place to shop. I will probably buy stupid stuff, just to get rid of the gift card. But, then I am not happy. If it is borke, they won't take it back, it goes on and on.

• Ts

EMBASSY PLAZA
    3936 W INA RD STE 332
    TUCSON, AZ 85741
    Phone: (520) 744-6776

should all be fired. They are incredibly rude, unprofessional and unhelpful. My husband purchased a little GPS system for me for Christmas I wanted to ask the person at the counter for more information and their recommendation but he was playing on his cell phone and would not answer my questions. My husband just went ahead and got what was on sale. I opened the system a few days later and found that it didn't work. The system does not turn on without hitting the reset button each time. I went back today to either exchange or return the unit. It was my intention to upgrade the unit if anyone there was willing to talk to me. I went in with everything that came with the system but was told that I could do nothing because I did not have the clear plastic wrap that the unit came in. I find that to be ridiculous as #1, who keeps the clear plastic and #2 it's the Christmas season so there are going to be returns and exchanges. They kept saying that you have 30 days and you have to bring in everything and it's on the receipt. First of all, it says 90 days on the receipt and again, the clear plastic wrap?? I asked to speak to the manager and said that the answer that I received was unacceptable. One of the people from behind the counter called the manager and I could literally hear the manager speaking to him saying to tell me too bad and get out of the store, he didn't have time to deal with people's problems. At that time I called my husband and said that he needed to come and talk to them because I wasn't going to stand there and be treated badly. I told the two people behind the counter that had the person not been to busy on his cell phone when we came in to make the purchase, I wouldn't be there. One of the guys behind the counter then literally said, ### this, I'm not dealing with this lady. Needless to say, that pissed me the hell off. I told them that I had never in my entire f-ing life been subjected to such horrible customer service. I said that I could not believe that they didn't make any attempt, at all, to resolve the situation. At that time the other boy behind the counter said that the only thing I would be able to do was an exchange but as they didn't have any more in stock, they would call another store. The only store that had it was on the other side of town and well, without the GPS I had not idea how to get there!!

I can not believe the piss poor treatment of your customers. From the manager on down, you have lousy employees with lousy customer service training.

31st of Dec, 2007

Just a little idea for you, company stores are required to take back items purchased at a franchise store if they carry the same item......

• Fr
      10th of Jan, 2008

Get this guys. I wish I would have followed everyones advice to stay out of Radio Shack.

Purchased a Bell 995 Radar Detector. First one, had apparently been opened, I went right back in and got another one.

Week later I decided the detector sucked. I had all my packaging, including the plastic wrap it came in. Went to 4 different radio shacks, and guess what, NONE OF THEM HAD ENOUGH MONEY TO COVER THE DETECTOR. Ok, either it is a scam to not give the money back. or the do piss poor buisness.

Hell the local mom and pop gas station does enough buisness to cover $300.00.

Now I have to wait for a refund check, that may never come. But I will take whatever legal action I have to to make them pay the money they owe me. And I will hit every message board with my opinion on this franchise!

"Checks in the mail"

23rd of Mar, 2008

This is Noha from Egypt. I have always gone to Radio Shack for the products, but I do not think I will for the customer service wich is really bad starting from the moment you walk in where the security leans over a desk and stares at you and the shop assistant is as stern as if his wife has beaten him with slippers. This is as relates to Radio Shack Cairo, Egypt. I guess it would be really better to either do without the security and the shop assistants and cut down on staff costs or you will have no female customers stepping in your stores. Note: this complaint took place on March 23 2008 around 4:30 pm.

Take care.

• Lu
      4th of Jul, 2008

We purchased a video camera from Radio Shack. When we tried to record something we noticed that the camera did not have a standard feature such as "zoom". We went to the store to return it and the joke was that the employee must be a "pseudo" loyal employee as he proceeded to list all items that camera did not have - "that anyone would consider standard". He even said that he would not mention all the defect but based on the price that customer should not expect the video camera to record any image.

However, we had all the components and receipt but not the box. He refused to accept the return even thou he remember selling us the camera two days prior to this event.

This happen in the Radio Shack store located:
    Phone: (713) 861-3795

• Ny
      5th of Jan, 2010

to cairo egypt,
    who the hell cares about your opinion all people from your area are rude and smell stay out of the usa we dont like you

• To
      13th of Apr, 2010

I went to the Radio Shack in Francis Scott Key Mall, Frederick, MD to buy iTunes gift cards on 04/13/2010. After one employee rang them up, I gave them my Radio Shack gift cards. That employee went inside and brought another employee outside whose name is Joey. Then Joey started asking me what is my name and my information which I gave him. Then he asked me what is my home address which I refused to give him since I don’t think it is needed for a transaction paid by gift cards. I asked to speak to the manage on duty. Amanda, the manager, came out and explained to me that something fraud is going on and Radio Shack needs to verify all gift card transactions. I said that’s fine and gave her my gift cards so that she can do any verification she wanted. Amanda called somebody and told me she waited for him to call her back. After waiting for 15 minutes, nothing happened. No one called her back and she did not try to do anything. I told her that I was not going to waste my time to wait endlessly to be able to spend my gift cards. She just simply ignored and let me know I could not use my legitimate gift cards. Both the manager and employees are rude and lack of customer service orientation. I am going to file a complaint to Radio Shack corporate and BBB.

21st of Jun, 2010

Radio Shack is the worst customer service ive ever experienced.

We bought some credit for our pay as you go phone and THEY printed out the wrong pin receipt. We took it back, they admitted the reciept was wrong so we asked for a new one or a refund. Apparently the it was the computers mistake and not Radio Shacks, i just laughed at them thinking i was on candid camera. They were deadly serious.

Easily the biggest bunch of jokers ive ever come accross working in a store. I took great pleasure in telling everyone in the shop how they deal with complaints for at least an hour.

• Bu
      5th of Sep, 2010

Went to radio shack in Westminster Md. sign reads broadband 2go 69.99.sale price. wanted to buy this product/ rang it up .79.99 said no sign says 69.99 .sales person (very nice ) says it's an old tag. ok.I can understand old tag. one day old maybe two.but this tag says 8/27.it is now 9/5, now if you are so slow in removing your tags . I should have gotten it for 69.99. (my opinion). this is not good business. (my opinion).I know this is not going to get me anywhere or thing but I do feel better.Thank you.

• Ca
      10th of Dec, 2011

RadioShack Your mission is good but I guess I am one of your dissatisfied customer that has not been treated right.
    I am so disappointed with your service. until now I have not receive the activation fee that he said he will waive it in the beginning.

• Ca
      10th of Dec, 2011

RadioShack Your mission is good but I guess I am one of your unsatisfied customer that has not been treated right.
    I Bought a Cell Phone about 3 months ago the sales person name Richard in your Washington Blvd. Los Angeles, CA is not doing his job. he said he will waive the Activation fee if I buy the phone from radioshack instead of buying from company, and I have to wait for a week before I got the phone what a promise.
    I am so disappointed with Richard at Radioshack service.
    Oh! it's been 3 months still didn't get the activation waive that he said he'll take care of it.