Priceline.com — do not take cdw for car rental
I recently booked/traveled to Mexico with my family, where we rented a car thru Priceline. I took the CDW insurance at $11 per day over the CDW through Alamo due to better pricing. Imagine my surprise when I got to Mexico and was told they did not accept the coverage and if I declined their insurance and anything happened to the car, I would have to pay out of pocket, and then request a reimbursement through the carrier. I opted to take the coverage in Mexico since I couldn't afford to replace a car if I totaled it and I did not feel like spending any time in a Mexican jail (if something happened and I couldn't pay). Upon my return I contacted Priceline via email and phone. Their response, call the insurance carrier to see why Alamo in Mexico would not accept their coverage.
I read the fine print on the disclaimer prior to booking, but I apparently missed the details that it was a reimbursement. In truth, I was lucky to have found the disclaimer on Priceline's busy web page.
Priceline's response was poor, in my opinion, since their website doesn't tell unsuspecting travelers the program is a reimbursement not simply coverage paid to the rental company. Some people might be able to cover minor mishaps, but what about those who cannot or those who have more than a mishap, ie, a totaled out vehicle??? Who can afford to replace a rental car ($1000's) to then file a claim and hope for reimbursement??? More disclosure on the website is needed. I plan to travel again but I will never again use Priceline. Their customer service response was downright horrible.
I may still complain to my state's attorney general or banking & insurance. Anynoe else who has had this problem might want to do the same.
More Priceline.com Complaints & Reviews
- Priceline.com - fraud and scam 
- Travelweb/priceline - refusal to acknowlege cancellation confirmation number 
- Priceline.com - unauthorized charges 
- Priceline.com - liars and cheaters 
- Priceline.com - legal proceedings against priceline (consumer based and other) 
- Priceline.com - airline tickets 
- Priceline.com - hotel price drop and not credited
- Priceline.com - hotel reservation
- Priceline.com - worst customer service ever
- Priceline.com - unfair/illegal (?) business practices/trickory/entrapment tactics