Priceline.com / consumer overcharge!

I went online to Priceline.com looking for price saving on a hotel. I booked two nights at Holiday Inn, Savannah, GA for $213.94 (or $106.97 per night). When I checked in hotel I told them I was only staying one night--they billed me $88.92 for one night--$18.05 less than Priceline's "savings" per night.

When I requested reimbursement for both nights from Priceline since the hotel had charged me, they had the hotel refund the charge for $88.92 and refused to reimbursement me for the 2nd night (which I had canceled upon check-in)

So I ended up paying Priceline a total of $213.94 for a single night.

The hotel charges $88.92 per night totaling $177.84, so in effect Priceline's "savings" results in costing the consumer $36.10 more for a two-night stay.

Da

Comments

• Al
      22nd of Apr, 2008

I had a very similar event happen to me too. This time I stayed at a Ramada outside of Yosemite National Park. I paid $92 for the room through Priceline.com. Upon checkout, I was given t he receipt and it showed up as $62. You can imagine how annoyed I was at overpaying $30 for a room.

Furthermore, I found out that when you pay for the hotel through Priceline, it isn't your card that is used to pay for hotel. In fact, it's that you pay Priceline. Then Priceline pays with their own "credit card" for the hotel.

However, I do realize that this what you'd consider internal pricing between the hotel and Priceline and that really, the hotel shouldn't give you a receipt that shows you what Priceline pays.

To everyone reading, please make sure from now on that if you book through Priceline, that you check the hotel's own website and rates first.

• 20
      5th of Dec, 2008

It's called a surcharge. Middle men and women do not work for free. Go directly to the hotel or airline and tell them exactly what you want. They sometimes negotiate too. Good luck.