Priceline.com / unfair advertising practices

Dear Consumer,

Do not use Priceline.com. If for any reason you must change your date of travel, you will not get a refund or for that matter you will lose the entire cost of your airline tickets plus their service fee. I had to have surgery on a scheduled flight date and was told that I was not able to get a refund or change the ticket date.

Be advised ....no where on priceline.com's website does it say that it does not allow changes to a reservation, that means, airline ticket, hotel, etc. They instead have a hidden icon that you must click on that says 'travel insurance'. I feel this is a tricky way to get away with murder on consumers.

So, do not use priceline and also complain, complaign, complaign to the fcc, to whoever will listen. Look it's us against goliath, but we know who won that battle!

Comments

20th of Jan, 2008

Priceline cannot be trusted. A few weeks ago they processed a charge against my account despite the fact that an incorrect security code was provided to their website by an unauthorized user.

Priceline claims it does not historically save your security code. The fact is they tried twice to process this charge against my creidt card, once unsuccessfully. They then apparnetly searched my record of purchases, found my security code, and supplied it to American Express without my authorization.

On many phone calls, they finally told me they will on occasion process a charge without a correct security code, but also told me they would not tell me what those circumstances are.

This is criminal behavior, and PRiceline must be avoided.

• Sy
      11th of Mar, 2008

Do not use Priceline. They bill you for a rental car and then the rental car company bills you too. So you get double billed. And Priceline has no customer service rep you can talk too. It's all by email. What a horrible way to run a business. Never use them or you will have problems with no way to fix them.

• Pa
      12th of May, 2008

PRICELINE F'ED ME UP. I BOUGHT 2 DIFFERENT TICKETS & THEY HAVE ME ARRIVING IN PDX @ 10:00AM AND LEAVING PDX @ 7:45 AM ON THE SAME DAY. WHEN I SAW THERE MISTAKE, THEY ASSURED ME THE TICKET WAS NOT ACCEPTED-BUT WHEN I LOOKED IN MY BANK ACCOUNT THEY CHARGED BOTH TICKETS ANYWAY. ON THE PHONE THEY AGAIN DENIED THAT THE CHARGED THE 2ND TICKET UNTIL I WENT OVER THE FACTS WITH THEM FOR OVER 1 HOUR, THEN I WAS TOLD THERE WAS NO ONE HIGHER TO TALK TOO AND TOUGH LUCK. WHEN YOU PUT IN FOR TICKETS, THE TIME DOES NOT SHOW UNTIL AFTER YOU "BUY TICKETS NOW". i KEEP TELLING THEM IT IS THERE MISTAKE, AND ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS ADJUST ONE OF THE TIMES SO THERE WILL BE NO OVER LAP - BUT THEY COULD GIVE A S__T. I THINK THAT EVERYONE SHOULD BE VERY VERY CAREFUL. THEY ARE DISHONEST AND CHEATS. I WISH I COULD TAKE THEM TO COURT OVER THIS. I AM POOR AND HAVE HAD 8 SURGRIES AND CANNOT AFFORD THIS f___K UP. I WISH I HAD PAID CLOSER ATTENTION AND NOT BELIEVED THEM. I HAVE NEVER HAD SUCH HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH ANY COMPANY THANKS

31st of Mar, 2009

I used priceline.com for the first (and last) time about a month ago to purchase 3 round trip tickets from Seattle to Austin, Texas for a friends wedding. At the time of the purchase, I was not certain of the departure date - so I wanted to buy refundable tickets. Although the priceline.com website was very clear about stating that any tickets bought through their "name your own price" outlet were non-refundable, they were not clear about whether tickets purchased throughout the rest of their site were non-refundable. After digging through a lot of material on their website, I came to the conclusion that the tickets could be refunded (minus $150) as long as I canceled in a "timely manner". This made sense to me so I purchased the 3 $350 tickets (for a total of $1050).

A few days later I was realized I was going to have to change the departure date from Seattle to Austin to a day earlier. I called customer support and they attempted to help me. Unfortunately, the cheapest alternative to what I already had was $700 and I didn't want to spend that kind of money. I confirmed that I would be able to cancel the tickets and looked at other websites to find something cheaper.

I purchased a $350 replacement ticket for myself from another company (Expedia) that left Seattle a day earlier than by priceline.com tickets. (The remaining 2 tickets did not need to be changed so I left them as is.) I then called priceline.com and told them I wanted a refund for my ticket. They informed me that the ticket was non-refundable and that they would hold the money for a year and that I could use it during that time - but after a year the money would be gone. I told them that I felt that was deceptive - that I had been informed that I could get a refund for my ticket, that I didn't purchase non-refundable tickets - that their website STILL said that I could cancel the tickets and only be out $150. They replied that they would have to "listen to the tapes" of the person who informed me that I could get a refund - to verify that she actually said that. I was informed that they would call me back if 5 business days.

5 business days came and went without a call. I called them back and they apologized for not returning my call when they promised. I was also informed that they had not yet listened to the tapes. Additionally, I was now told that my were non only non-refundable - but that I could no longer cancel them - meaning that I was out the full cost of the ticket. I told them that I had made 2 previous calls to cancel the tickets and that this was unfair. They apologized and I was told that they would call me within 3 business days. I confirmed that they had my correct phone number.

It's now 8 business days since they were supposed to call me back. I have heard nothing. I don't know if they ever canceled by ticket. I don't know if I have $350 credit at priceline.com. I don't WANT $500 credit at priceline.com. Their site is very deceptive as to the nature of the tickets. At no time were people rude to me on the phone - everyone was very nice and/or apologetic. I was never rude to anyone on the phone. However, it seems pretty clear their job is to get you off the phone and hope that you go away. I was promised twice that they would return by calls - but no return call was every made.