Pitney Bowes / urge everybody - stay away!

I am writing this complaint in regard to my postage by phone account with Pitney Bowes. Below is their address.

Pitney Bowes
2225 American Dr
Neenah, WI 54956

I cancelled my account back in Feb. 2006. When I contacted Pitney Bowes over the phone I told the customer service representative specifically that I needed to cancel the account, which they agreed. Later on they sent me an invoice asking me to pay $50 for them to pick up the postage meter. There was nothing on the original lease about a pick up fee so I called them again. They told me that this is their company's policy and if I don't pay the pick up fee they can't process my cancellation. I had a credit of over $300 on the account so in order to get the credit back I paid the fees. Since they are a big name in the postal industry I assumed that they would credit me back the remaining balance after my return was processed. But I was wrong. On June 11th, 2007, 1 year and 4 month later, I received a statement from Pitney Bowes. It shows on the statement that I have a remaining balance of $315.49 on my account. Also they charged me an account maintenance fee of $50 for a CANCELLED account! Feeling furious I contacted the customer support and spoke to Josh. He said altough my account was cancelled they did not know whether I would need a new meter in the future or not so they kept the money in the account. I said I never asked for a new meter how could they make such an assumption. He said people do this all the time so to save trouble they kept my money! And since there is money in my account it is considered active and a maintenance fee is charged. I then asked him how I can get my money back. He said I have to submit a separate refund request by fax or mail. He later send me a link to the request by email, but he did not refund me the account maintenance fee.

I can not believe that I have to send a separate refund request to get my money back. If you cancel a credit card or return a merchandise to a store, do you ever need to send a separate refund request? The equipment return fee is even more absurd. I need my money back including the account maintenance fee of $50. And I urge everybody who wants a postage meter to consider other alternatives.

Kaibo Hu
Playcom, Inc
Orlando, FL 32804

Comments

• Lo
      23rd of Jan, 2008

They are the very worst, by far, company i have ever had the misfortune to deal with - they are rude, don't respond to anything, overcharge you, it would be easier to name anything they did right.

When we moved office, they managed to set up two accounts for us (even though we had returned their machine and bought one of our own) and we almost got taken to court as they just would not believe that we did not have two accounts. It took 5 months to get them to send an updated rate card for the machine.

The latest is that they have raised the cost of resetting the meter from £6.52 to £14.88 - no warning,so if you only put in £30-40 of postage, you are paying almost half of that in charges. Total and utter exploitation of their monopoly. I know of no other company that imposes such huge increases without even the courtesy of a letter to inform you in advance.

No one at the company ever takes responsibility for sorting anything out. In the last two years I have probably sent around 50 letters faxes and numerous calls - none have ever been answered. I even wrote to their MD and he didn't do anything either.

They are the only company I deal with that seriously raises my blood pressure and leaves me fit to kill. I get so frustrated by them - they have a total monopoly on the ink and postage resetting and they are exploiting small companies who were misled hugely by PB and Royal Mail into thinking that franking machines would help their business. We are rural, miles from a post office, so we got it for convenience but the amount of admin time spent sorting out invoices and other service issues almost outweighs any benefit. I wish I could charge them £25 a letter like the banks for every letter I have had to write to them.

The staff at the call centres just don't care - I have never known worse call centre staff - they just take notes but nothing ever happens, they never ever reply - or do anything. Even when you get a named person to send things to it makes not the slightest difference, might as well be talking to one of my donkeys (they at least reply).

The only company whose incompetence matches PB is BT Broadband, but at least they don't have a monopoly. Unless you are happy to throw away the equipment and start again with Neopost, you still have to deal with PB to get the meters reset. When the deal with Neopost/Royal Mail/Pitney Bowes was set up they were duty bound to act fairly, reasonably etc. They have certainly not done that.

Anyone who can avoid this company like the plague, they could endanger your health.

• Li
      18th of Mar, 2008

As a former technical support rep for Pitney Bowes I can attest to the miserable treatment of customers at the hands of this company. I worked for PB for over seven years and was recently "let go". My job performance was suffering because I could no longer sell certain consumable supplies that were damaging the customer's equipment when used in the manner prescribed by the company. I was also dispatching field service reps when certain error codes appeared even though I could clear them with the customer over the phone because I knew as well as PB did that the errors would return. They would return because the software updates that were required by the company were causing false sensor errors and would keep on occuring until physical adjustments were made to the machine and even then customers would often call back repeatedly with the same complaint. This is not just opinion. These are documented in internal technical support bulletins issued by the company, but not available to the public.

One product in particular is the cause of major headaches for the customer's. It is EZ-Seal Plus. It damages seals and in particular a styrofoam float the moves up and down in the sealer resevoir. The results are leaks and false "Add EZ-Seal" messages. If the customer has no maintenance agreement they are charged even though it's the PB product causing the problem. If the customer does have a maintenance agreement they still lose money in down time and lost productivity.

Another problem is with the DM200 and DM300 machines. Because of a programming issue once a year these machines will not work because a false waste tank full error message occurs. At the customer care center they call it "Waste Tank Full Day", and offer overtime as well as hire temps to handle the heavy call volume. The customer support reps are specifically told not to inform the customer that this is a false reading. Once again customers with no maintenance agreement are charged and no adjustment is made to their bill.

When I first went to work for PB the attitude was different. We were to help the customer until we were certain the problem was resolved. This no longer the case. If an error code poped up and we could temporarily clear it, we were to do so. We knew that the codes would return until the engineers came up with a solution, but that didn't matter. Treat em and street em became the practice. When the associates complained, those complaints fell on deaf ears.

The other major problem was sales. Too many sales reps and retention specialists do not fully disclose to customers, the fees invovled with using PB services. Nor do they educate the customers on what to expect regarding use and processes of there machines and handling of their accounts.

All of this was simply too much for me and I was actively seeking other employment when I was fired. I will be honest and say I my heart was no longer in my work and I had violated a couple of minor company policies. However these were trivial and many other associates did these things on a daily basis with no repercussions. I was vocal in my concerns with the company ethics of late and the more I voiced those concerns the more management scrutinized me. There is no longer a place for the voice of consience at Pitney Bowes. Avoid this company in the future. With few exceptions, they are cold, unresponsive and indifferent to customer needs.

4th of May, 2008

PB is one of the worst companies to deal with. I have told them on the phaone that they are a bunch of common thieves. I signed up for a "free" trial of a postal machine. When I called a few days past the "30 day trial" I was told the trial had expired and I must pay the rest of the contract. (over 200 dollars) I decided it would be easier to let the machine sit for a year and give them the monthly charge. I Feb 08 I called and requested an address to return the machine to and was told that the contract didn't expire until May because that is when the "90 day trial" had ended. If I wanted to return it it would cost me the remainder of the contract. tomorrow is May 5 and we'll see how the return goes. All this for a machine that has sat unused for a year.
    I lump Pitney Bowes in with the credit card merchant service companies who extort money and help to ruin small business.

• To
      26th of Aug, 2008

CAN'T STAND PITNEY BOWES. Patiently waiting for my contract to expire so I can be done with them FOREVER.

• Ha
      16th of Jan, 2009

I am in the same boat as everyone else. My company has gone out of business and the customer service rep laughed when I told them I could not pay the remainder of my year subscription. They have since charged me over $120 in fees and a $50 restocking fee, which was not disclosed in the rental agreement. There should be another way, a broader spectrum, to get the word out about these Scam ### artist.

• Ta
      20th of Aug, 2009

I HATE THIS COMPANY! I am currently employed for PB and they owe me over $200. They constantly mess up my cheques and promise to "add it to the next cheque" but they never do and instead take off more money in "error". Once I get my money, I am done with this company, and so should every other person working for them or dealing with them! They are cheap skate rip offs who steal money from people to pay for their luxeries. NEVER DEAL WITH THEM OR WORK FOR THEM UNLESS YOU HAVE MONEY TO GIVE AWAY!

• Lf
      14th of Sep, 2009

Hey, it must be "waste tank full" day! We had to call and stay on hold for 20 minutes to get our machine to work. Just got off the phone with them on Friday due to the excessive fees we're paying to refill our machine, then they send invoices with less than 2 weeks to pay, then they charge you $39 late fee (even if due date is on Sunday, they charge you the fee when they post your check on Monday) plus interest on the amount due! I can't stand this company. Finally I did get information about how to pay on line; I've been trying to get this information for over a year. I am counting down the days until our lease expires in 2011 -- NEVER EVER USE PITNEY BOWES! There are far cheaper and better postage machine companies you can use who won't rip you off day after day, month after month, year after year, and then expect your repeat business!

• Mi
      15th of Sep, 2009

Does anybody know how to over ride the problem of Waste Tank Full?
    Thanks

20th of Oct, 2009

i agree, what an outfit

• Th
      27th of Oct, 2009

Waste Ink Full... Hold sir
    oh! ...no maintenance contract.
    That will be £192 per hour plus traverling, parts and of cource VAT.

22nd of Oct, 2010

I was a Technical Service support employee for Pitney Bowes who regularly logged in 12 -14 hours per day. I performed my duties well and received many comendations. I was fired after two years and currently sueing for all the overtime hours I worked. Are there any P.B. ex-employees out there who have worked overtime hours and were told not to put in the overtime hours or be fired?

• Go
      11th of Nov, 2010

This compnay is rude and continue to send me notices in the mail. I happen to see one of there machines in a building that was foreclosed on. The machine was abadoned so I called them to let them know. They stated they needed an address to send a return label and box. I gave them the address. Now they countinue send me notices and collection notices with the company that had the machine. Plus they didnt even send the return label and box to to send the machine back. I called there customer service and explained I was trying to do them a favor by returning the machine and now it seems there holding me accountable for it. I will be sending them a formal letter and get my attorney involved for harrassment. I wouldn't recomment PB to anyone. If you find a machine laying around leave it.

• Ro
      20th of Nov, 2010

This company is the worst to work for they are backstabbing, foulmouthed, and evil if you get employed by Piney Bowes management company run like your life depends on it.

13th of Jan, 2011

I once worked for pitney bowes, iam care full for what i say. they will retaliate. !!! it might not be all the pitney bowes sites that are, jerks, backstabbers, low life, two faced liars. and thats just the human resource dept. the human resource manager was having an affair with a transportation supervisor... wait until, ( his wife, finds out. ) and she will.. they want people to think that there such nice people. ( what a joke ) the human resource dept. cant keep there big mouths shut. ( I thought, peoples personal issues were suppose to be confidentual. ) not in minnesota . ? again it might not be all of pitney bowes sites are like this, Id like to think there a good company. the operations manager, transferred up to minnesota, from cinncinati, ( i see why they were glad to get rid of him . !!!) when it comes down to it. If youre more intelligent then them ? they dont like it. theyll find away to get rid of you. again i hope its not just the whole company thats that bad, ? the former PSI group is what you need to look out for. iam not even begun to touch the tip of the ice berg about this site, more will follow...

• Pb
      3rd of Apr, 2011

I also worked for PB and was recently "let go". I think at one time it was a great company to work for but in the years I spent there I have seen it deteriorate. The system of management is racist and evil. Backstabbing and unfair practices are rewarded while hard work and positive results are overlooked. The funny thing is they sell management services to other companies and yet they can't manage their own company. The day I walked out of PB my life changed. Like a giant evil weight was lifted from me and I suddenly gained back my self worth. Beware of this evil giant.

29th of May, 2011

here we go again, with pb in minneapolis. the transportaion supervisor, causes so many issues. ( trouble maker ) she gets away with murder. all of manage ment there knows it .they continuouslylet her get away with it. ITS because she is having an affair with the human resource manager. the transportation supervisor there is such a spoiled snot nose brat like a lot of pb employees. ( not all of them ) some of the people there are real good people, just caught in a bad place. ill be posting there phone number, call there and tell them what you think. corporate just turns the other cheek

• Lo
      14th of Sep, 2011

I HATE THIS COMPANY. Years ago we sent back a postage meter and in the fine print it tied us to a 6 year lease for a machine we never use. We have complained, written letters to no avail. They don't respond with service. Watch out on lease issues, what they say and what they put in the fine print are two very different things.

• Su
      25th of Oct, 2011

Just Stay away from Pitney Bowes. Just a rip-off company. This company should not last as long as it is supposed to. I cannot wait till March when my contract is over.

1st of Nov, 2011

My office purchased supplies, I paid th bill and mailed in on the first of the month. The check cleared my bank 1 day after the due date and I was hit with a late fee and interest. I paid the invoice and then received another late payment invoice, my check took 12 days to get to PB and get posted. I called as was told that even if I were to send a check overnight, the payment would not be posted to my account for another 1-3 business days. This practice in unacceptable. I will not be doing business with them in the future.

• Fa
      4th of Feb, 2012

Just remember, you can be held liable for false or misleading statements posted. If you have sued PB and posted resr assured legal now has this post. Best of luck.