Philips / Magnavox LCD TV / WARNING: Do not buy a Philips/Magnavox product!

After numerous unproductive calls to the Magnavox Customer Support Line and as a last resort I have written a letter to Magnavox to demand a full refund for an LCD TV Magnavox LCD, Model: 32MF1D/37 Serial: BZ3A0609170320. I purchased this TV on 4/21/2006. The TV began having issues on 6/15/2006. The unit would not respond to the remote or to manual commands. The unit would turn off periodically by its self and/or the screen would go blank with the power remaining on. I have taken this TV to two separate repair shops. The TV sat in the first repair shop for a month and a half July 2nd thru September 1st, while Magnavox failed to ship the desired part, a CBA Sealer, to the authorized dealer. I then took the TV to a second repair shop, where the TV has currently been for a month and 1/2, hoping to have a better outcome. This repair shop is stating the same issue, that Magnavox has not sent the part. When I call Magnavox Customer Support I get absolutely no where. I have attempted to order the part myself directly from Magnavox and was turned away. Since Magnavox has stated they are unwilling to send me the part and for one reason or another Magnavox has been unable to send the part to the repair shop with in the 3 ½ months and counting I wrote a letter demanding a full refund. If I do not receive a response to resolve this issue I will be filing a claim in Florida against Magnavox in the amount of the TV. WARNING: Do not buy a Phillips/Magnavox product.

Jon
Naples FL

Jo

Comments

• Va
      20th of Apr, 2008

same here 1year and 2 months old broke down no help from magnavox

• Da
      3rd of May, 2008

4 months after I bought my Magnavox model 37MF231D at HH Gregg it started shutting off and restarting on it's own. I called the service center and requested warranty service. It cost me $100 to find out it would cost $475 in labor to get it fixed. There is no way I'm paying that much money to fix a TV that is only 4 months old. To bad for me, 2 months later it quit working altogether. I tried discussing my problem with HH Gregg and their only response was that I should have bought their extended warranty. I'll never buy a Magnavox or shop at HH Gregg again!!!

• Lu
      13th of May, 2008

Oh yes... Philips/Magnovox is the WORST company of all with the worst products and service and support. I will never buy another thing from them even an electric toothbrush. I had a 32" LCD which broke three time in 3 years... every time it was the LED inverter that fried, making the image black. The service of this thing was so aweful that I have learned my lesson. They service people are useless, rude and lazy.

I since bought an LG plasma which is awesome and I have never had any problems with it. I wish the worst on this company and let them get knocked out by korean value driven companies.

• To
      14th of May, 2008

I have a 42 inch Phillips LCD. SO far my only problem is a contnuious line through the middle of the set. What is that about? Does any one else have this problem? Can it be fixed?

• Tn
      16th of May, 2008

I too, bought a Philips / Magnavox Television my 20MT1331/17 lasted long enough for my warranty to go out and then it started having the same problems that the rest of the consumers are complaining about. The T.V would cut on and off and sometimes would have a red line running straight through the middle with no sound. My brother had a 36 inch Magnavox that did the same way and he gave it to me hoping I could get it fixed when I got mine fixed. Instead of getting them fixed and paying the high cost they both went to the landfill.

• Ni
      21st of May, 2008

I have bought a magnavox 26 inc tv with built in dvd player, model #26MD/32MD251D LCD back in April 2007. Unfortunately, in the middle of March this year, the DVD was no longer working ( keep on having message as no disk). I have a one year warranty from Magnavox and I called the customer service. They told me to send to the repair center which I did. It took them about a week to get the parts ordered and when I called back to checked on the status, the repair center told me that the LCD panel is bad and needed to be replaced too. Another two weeks later, the repair center got back at me and told me that Magnavox have decided to send me a new tv and I have to pay 50 bucks out of pocket for the diagnostic fee.
    I thought everything is going smoothly, the customer service was pleasant and efficient when they called that they have sent me a new set, also I have to send the bad unit back to them, shipping was paid by Magnavox.
    Unfortunately, this first replacement set that I got was a lemon, the DVD doesn't work too. I believed that they did not sent me a "new' tv as I thought, it was more like a refurbished set. I was frustrated and called them again, they sent my phone call over to the rapid replacement center and promised to send me another set as soon as possible.
    Today, I received my so called "new" set of tv and I tried hooking it up to see if it works, guess I am a bad luck person. This particular second unit was worse than the first replacement unit. The graphics on the tv is bad, I tried to adjust the color setiing etc and it still doesn't work. When I played the DVD, many red lines appeeared and makes flickering graphics. I tried with few different DVDs and it's the same. I hooked the tv up with another single unit dvd player and it doesn't have that red lines flickering graphics. I believed it's due to their faulty built in dvd player again. Oh boy, I am sure pissed, it's way past midnite and there is no customer service to yell at. Maybe I am not an unlucky person after all, it's just magnavox tv sucks.
    Once bitten, twice shy, twice bitten never try!!! What about third time????? can't wait to yell at them ...

• Mi
      5th of Jul, 2008

WOW...please someone get the class action lawsuit started. I bought the 32" LCD 32MF231D from Best Buy in Oct 2006. Now in July of 2008 it went completely to a black screen...won't turn on. I've had trouble with it shutting off and turning back on and the sound going out. It will cost $100 for the repair guy just to look at it. I wondering if it's worth it for a $800 TV. I will never buy a Magnavox ever again!

• Hi
      8th of Jul, 2008

Yup...LCD model 37MF231D...after 16 months great use, TV won't power on without minimum of 3 tries. Green light flickers, glows brightly, goes off. Try again and it may come on, may not...try again, same thing. So far, it eventually comes on, but takes longer and longer. I suspect it'll quit altogether, based on forum talk from other owners. And Magnavox seems to very consistent with their service (of the LOUSY variety...no wonder their website doesn't accept email). How DO they get their FAQ's?

• Ge
      9th of Jul, 2008

I have a 60" rear projection phillips magnavox that became distorted after moving. I contacted them with the model number and serial number and they told me the tv did not exist. Thier consumer help line is of no help at all. On my own I located a service manual and made the repairs myself to a tv that they said did not exist.

• Da
      15th of Jul, 2008

Today is July 15th, 2008. Approximately 9 months ago, I purchased a 19" Magnavox LCD television ( #19MF3378B). The TV worked fine initially, but as the months passed, glitches became apparent. Finally in June, the TV began making a popping sound, and the picture would spontaneously go out then return. Eventually unit stayed dark while the power button remained on and I could not turn it off unless I unplugged it altogether. When I plug it back in, the TV remains on for 5-10 seconds before going dead again. I called Magnavox and amid the frequent empty apologies, I was told that my warranty expired after 3 months and that although the parts are still covered (for 1 year), the labor would cost $275.oo+ for repair. That is alomost more than the TV cost!

Appealing to the supervisor's common sense and decency regarding the matter, I asked him as a regular, hard-working, consumer with a conscience, hypothetically not employed by Magnavox, who goes out with hard earned dollars and purchases this TV to be confronted by this same situation, if he finds this Magnavox rule fair to him? He actually answered "yes" without hesitation. That's when I realized how much pride, integrity, and respect the Magnavox higher-ups have for its products, employees, and most importantly its customers. Incidentally, I did ask the gentleman if anyone has complained about the Magnavox TVs, and just as quickly as the 1st response, and without hesitation he emphatically denied ever hearing about any such issues. Then I found this site.

I have a GE television in my living room that I have had since 1992, and I have yet to have a problem with it. But you know what? I would shell out $1000.00 dollars to repair it if need be.

In any event, the supervisor informed me he will forward my case to the "orders desk dept."...notice I kept the dept in small case letters, and that he will put in a requisition to replace the set. I'm skeptical, but I am going to see this through even though I know the replacement will only be there until I can purchase another TV thet has no sign of Magnavox/Phillips having a hand in its construction.

I think I discovered what the "MF" in the model number stands for.

When doing homework for any large purchase, look beyond the price AND the warranty. Research and focus on the company's consumer satisfaction record. Most importantly, NEVER by a Magnavox/Phillips product...not even their lightbulbs!

17th of Jul, 2008

I just started having the same problem with my screen going black. I purchased a 17" Magnavox Lcd tv with
    built in dvd player on 05/16/2005. The dvd went out
    after a few months.

I cannot believe that they are unwilling to help resolve
    their customers issues. People pay a great deal of money
    for their products to have them not last for more than
    at least 10 years. It is definitely a serious issue when
    one of their products that we the consumer purchases
    goes out with in only a few months.

Furthermore, it shows that Magnavox must
    not stand behind their products when they have as
    many complaints as these and they do nothing to
    resolve them or in a timely fashion.

Needless to say that I will not purchase another
    Magnavox either.

21st of Jul, 2008

i have the same problem as most the other complaints on here. my t.v. was working fine and then i put it in storage for a couple weeks (protected and climate controlled) and when i got it out the t.v. would no longer turn on. the light flashes from green to yellow ... and thats it. big fat waste of money. and this is about 6 months of use...

22nd of Jul, 2008

Hahaha all you people are n00bs and suck

• Lu
      11th of Aug, 2008

Philips/Magnavox has the Worst Customer Service! The staff is uneducated, rude and so lazy it hurts. I will honestly never buy any product from this company and I'm happy to say I have deterred many people from buying any of their products. I wish the company the worst!

My experiance was with a 30" LCD. It broke only a month after purchase and has failed 3 times since. Each time the repair took 2 months or more and hundreds of phone calls to their customer service idiots. This time it broke again and I gave the broken TV away for free on Craigslist not wanting to ever go through the repair process. We purchased an LG and love the thing! ### producs, ### service!

• Tm
      16th of Aug, 2008

I bought a 27 inch model 27M3305/17 magnavox. It almost lasted ayear. !/3 of the screen is now black from the top down. No one there could help because they didn't know how to fix it. Since then, I have found a great deal of people with the same problem. Magnavox is out the volume and other buttons didn't work. we bought it from Best Buy and we're not proud of them either.!!!

• Be
      24th of Aug, 2008

Same issue as above. I have had two of these TVs, the first broke after a week and the second device was used for six weeks over a year. Phillips knowingly shipped a defective product and will not take responsibility for this repeated failure . Circuit city should be also support their customers - they made money on these boxes even after they knew they were defective . And they stopped selling them over a year ago. Bottom line, there are issues with quality and no TV should fail after a few months or a year. This is corporate arrogance at it's best, it is cheaper to do this than have a recall and admit to a major defect. What can we do, they have lost class actions for similar consumer issues before.

• Bs
      2nd of Sep, 2008

Dear Sir,
    I had purchased a Philips 5.1 channel 100 RMS speaker system from M/s Audiotronics, IRC Village, Bhuhaneswar (Orissa), India, Phone No. (+91)0674 2553750, (+91) 0674 2556443. The date of purchase is August 11, 2004 and the product no is: MP010408013266. The cost I have paid is Rs. 7, 500 INR. After giving a four year's good service suddenly some problems came to the system. The details of the problems are as follows:

1. Its remote controller is not working most of the times. After giving the power supply, its red light turns on. But the remote is does not work. No button of the remote works. Hence I am not able to change the Line 1 or Line 2 or Line 3 of it.

2. To my surprise after a prolonged trials, the remote works. After giving the power supply, its red light turns on. By pressing Line 2 switch (my input line) it functions correctly. But all of a sudden, its volume goes on rising rising to the peak. Remote at this time does not work to reduce the volume.

This matter has been communicated to M/s Audiotronics, Bhubaneswar (Orissa) from whom I had purchased this set. I am advised by M/s Audiotronics to send it to our nearest Philips Servicing Centre i.e. at Sambalpur in the western part of Orissa. Presently I am staying in Jharsuguda, Orissa (India). Hence M/s Audiotronics advised me to send the system to Philips Servicing Centre at Sambalpur (Orissa) whose phone numbers are :(+91) 06632405812, (+91) 09937932207, (+91) 09437962690. I was also advised to send the system through M/s Bombay Music House, Jharsuguda to which place, the technician of Philips Servicing Centre of Sambalpur pays regular visit.

Now, I have sent my music system through M/s Bombay Music House, Jharsuguda to Philips Servicing Centre, Sambalpur (Orissa). But to my unfortunate though a prolonged 25 days have been elapsed, I could not get the system repaired. The technician says some electronic part is ordered and will arrive from Pune. After that he gets my set repaired. But this story became older one. As far as my knowledge is concerned, to get the part from Pune by courier, it will take hardly 1 week. The response from the servicing centre, Sambalpur is poor.

Hence sir, please instruct your servicing team of Sambalpur (Orissa), India, not to harass their customers otherwise people will no more believe on Philips and faith on it falls.

Now I want my 5.1 channel speaker system repaired at the earliest. I agree that it is an older one. But I hope a product which is purchased for Rs. 7, 500 INR should work for at least 15 - 20 years. I also hope that it is repairable. Hence please intervene into the mater and expedite the work at your service centre, Sambalpur (Orissa).

Anticipating a quick response from you.

Yours sincerely,

B. Srinibas Sastri
    E-mail: b.s.sastri@gmail.com
    Mob: +91 94370 85041

• Ro
      6th of Sep, 2008

I bought a 32 inch lcd tv approximately 18 months ago, the tv kept cutting off so I took it to a repair shop and they said it would cost over 400.00 to have it repaired. (signal board). Called magnavox and all they would say is sorry, your waranty has expired.

• He
      14th of Sep, 2008

Same as most, purchased a 27 inch LCD, have had it for a bit over a year and won't even turn on. I've been told it will be aprox 500.00 to fix it at the very least.
    I called several depts of the Philips and got the same response, too bad, sucks to be you, out of warranty.
    Ironically, I attempted to contact the corporate officers and got my e-mails returned as the management will not accept e-mails from unknown addresses.
    I could care less if the product cost $20.00, $200.00 or $2000.00, a reputable company should consider the issues of the consumer if the fault is with the product!
    I even threatened to put an article in the newspaper to express my disatisfaction and was told to have a nice day!!

• Be
      23rd of Sep, 2008

I have phillips magnavox lcd that has problems . I will attempt to go through the support center. I was wondoring how to get refund for my problems.