PetSmartreturning flea medication that was bought mistakenly

On 5/31/18 at 12:00 pm, I visited the North Augusta, SC location at 310 E Martintown Rd #500. I purchased flea medication mistakenly on 5/25/18 and have since lost the receipt. After trying to return the item without a receipt, and entering my phone number into the system they were unable to process my request because of company policy. The acting manager was called by the cashier and he verified that I could not return the item. After entering the phone number into PetSmart computer they could locate all of my other purchases, save for the transaction done on 5/25/18. The employee that took my transaction was Daniel, and clearly my phone number was not entered in correctly during the time of the transaction. I explained to the acting manager that I shouldn't be penalized for an employee not entering my phone number correctly and moving forward with the transaction. The manager stated that I can wait and speak with the store manager on 6/1/18 at 8:00 am. This poor customer service and mishandling from the acting manager is not favorable, and I do not wish to make any more purchases from this company if my complaint cannot be resolved. I can even provide a bank statement reflecting the purchase. Please advise.

Leo Hackenberg