Petsmart Grooming Service / dog abuse

1 rt.35Holmdel, NJ, United States Review updated:

I brought my 8 month old puppy to get groomed and they told me to leave and come back in 3 hours I didnt leave I shopped around the store and occassionally looked in the window to check up on my dog the groomer was new and she looked like she was having a bad day from a distance I seen her jestering to the other employees and pointing at me complaining I was still waiting around for my dog at times I seen her hand crushing the back of my pomeranians neck but couldnt be exactly sure because she made I and my 7 yr. old daughter feel uncomfortable wathing in the window when my dog was ready to go home he was screaming in pain and pulled me out of the store that evening the back of his neck was all swollen and bruised. I will groom my dog myself from here on out. # PETSMART!

Ja

Comments

• Lk
      11th of Jul, 2009

"screaming in pain" i highly doubt that

• Fa
      15th of Jul, 2009

lk816, I guess you dont have a dog, and you are not sympathetic to animals. "Screaming in pain" is the closest thing JASC could use to explain what her puppy was like after being abused, if you have heard a Pomeranian before then you should know that when it cries, it could be called a scream...

JASC, You should call Petsmart HQ and file a lawsuit for animal cruelty by a so-called Professional Groomer.

• Lk
      19th of Jul, 2009

FanseePanths... ACTUALLY I do have a dog, 2 of them, cats and a parrot. poms and other dogs in the toy group over react to anything even brushing. I have been a Groomer and dog trainer for 7 years now, so please dont try and correct me, thanx =)

• Me
      19th of Jul, 2009

petsmart sucks

• Do
      20th of Jul, 2009

Thats very upsetting, but I dont think all groomers are like. A big business like petsmart im sure emphasis on the importants of pet care. Yes it always is good to make complaint reports on the groomers. I want to know what Petsmart manager said and what she did about your complaint. Then I could say whether it was the company or the groomer.

• Fa
      20th of Jul, 2009

K so LK how many accounts do you have? lk816, lk11

So your saying even the slightest brush on the dog will cause it to overreact just because its a toy breed?

Thats BS

Even the biggest dogs can be hurt by groomers

And the fact that "that evening the back of his neck was all swollen and bruised" shows that the dogs was mistreated!

SO BACK OFF. Just like D.O. said, not all groomers are the same, You could be the best or the VERY worst groomer, but the fact of the matter is that the dog ended up getting mistreated and hurt in the process.

• Gr
      12th of Aug, 2009

How was bruising noticed? It is rather hard to see bruises on a thick coated dog like a pomeranian, especially on the back of the neck where hair is most thick.

Also, when a dog can see or hear their owners, they typically make a big fuss. They have learned that crying or yelping has directly resulted in your attention and will try their hardest in an unfamiliar place if they know you are still around.

This complaint seems a bit far fetched to be honest.

• De
      12th of Aug, 2009

graphicmajor414, you are not doing this company any justice coming on here attacking customers. Remember the customers are always RIGHT ! Maybe the CEO of your company should see how badly you lack people skills. How about if the stockholders see how you are getting defensive with the hands that feed you.

• Di
      17th of Aug, 2009

It is a REALLY big deal to accuse someone of dog abuse. I highly doubt the groomer was abusing your dog. And if you and your child were standing in front of the window gawking at the groomer, it most likely made her very uncomfortable. We are not a circus show. We don't get paid enough to deal with you making faces at your dog, freaking them out. And in addition, puppies are generally very difficult to groom. They are not exposed and if you baby your puppy, which I'm sure you do, they assume they can get away with everything. So they scream and wiggle, even bite, because they don't know what's going on and they think they can get it to stop. Go ahead and try to groom your own puppy, you will soon discover that it is extremely difficult.

• Po
      22nd of Aug, 2009

When we picked up our female standard poodle from Petsmart grooming salon in Fayetteville, NC this afternoon 22 August 09, I was horrified !! Almost all her nails are bleeding!!! I went back in the grooming salon and told the lady that groomed her that her nails are bleeding and that she had cut it very short, she took my poor poodle and applied some stuff in her nails and then told me that the nails is pressing in the concrete as the dog walk thats why it bleeds. What an excuse!! Jeez ...I felt so bad for my dog, , , and we just left since she cant stand this lady touching her anymore.

• Br
      16th of Sep, 2009

I took my dog Stanley in for his nails to be clipped. Explained to the groomer that he was scared of it and she assured me that she understood and would take good care of him, and to go ahead and pay while they got started. Well, when I came back she was yelling at my dog but quickly changed her attitude when she saw me there. Afterwards, I noticed Stanley had trouble getting into the truck but attributed it to the fresh nail trim. As the night and next day progressed, we noticed he was in pain and favoring his left rear leg. Took him to the vet, which petsmart did agree to pay, and it turns out she broke his left rear leg!!! Petsmart is paying the vet bills, but I think we should be compensated more than that for the pain he is going through. He is my best buddy and loves riding with me in the truck, but now cant do it unless I pick him up and put him in it. Unfortunately I cant find any lawyers who will take the case because he is just a dog, not a human. I got news for these lawyers, he is much more than "just a dog"! He is my best friend and my riding buddy...

Anyone know of any lawyers in west virginia or virginia that takes animal cases?

• Pe
      8th of Oct, 2009

I use to work for PetSmart as a groomer and have witnessed dog abuse. A fellow employee was seen punching a dog in the face three times. Statements were given to management and the employee was issued a "final" which means that if he hits another dog he will be fired. The alleged dog abuser still works there but I do not. My resignation was put in shortly after we found out that he would still be employed as a PetSmart groomer.

• 9m
      6th of Nov, 2009

POODLE:

It is rare but that can happen. I know it does seem strange but, when the nails are cut right up to the vein (quick) in the nail there can be just a thin enough layer that when that thin layer gently scraps on the concrete or asphalt, it can start bleeding. They probably cut the nail just a LITTLE bit too short. (If the nails are black it is impossible to see where the vein ends in the nail). And it isn't the worst thing to happen in the long run anyway. Because the vein will naturally receed so the next time the nail can be cut just as short with OUT bleeding ( without quicking the vein at all). When a dogs nails grow and grow and grow very long without getting cut for a long period of time vets will actually have to cut the nail short themselves (causing the nail to bleed) and cauterize it at the hospital. The substance they used was probably styptic powder (Kwik Stop). Which is commonly used on dogs, cats, and parrots. I keep a container at home just in case. =) Anyway, don't take my word for it. There is plenty of information out there in the library or the internet.

• Ra
      14th of Nov, 2009

My little Yorkie had a grooming appt at 12:30 today and nobody called us to say he was ready. I was so mad that I sent my husband to pick him up b/c they really didn't want to be seeing me as pissed off as I was. THEN!!! My husband called me from Petsmart to tell me they had not done a thing to him! It's now 6:00 and my baby has not been groomed! Talk about LIVID! I don't think I have ever been so mad in my entire life. Petsmart is grooming my child as we speak while my hubby waits and it's free. But guess what!?!?!? that's not enough! I want to know how something like this can even happen?!?!?! My dog has been neglected for the past 5 hours! They all better be glad I wasn't there, b/c I'd probably be spending the night in jail! I called the manager who said that the issue would be dealt with so that this type of thing doesn't happen again to anyone. He said that he has no idea how something like this happened b/c they have checks and balances in place for this very reason. I really don't know what to do. There is nothing that they can do or say to make this any better! I'm just ready for my hubby bring my baby home to me!

• Oh
      29th of Nov, 2010

I am a very loving, gentle, and compassionate doggie groomer in Monroe Township, NJ, who does ONE APPOINTMENT AT A TIME - I have heard the most horrible things about both Petsmart and Petco's groomers. I even tell my new customers..."Even if you never use my services again - ALWAYS use a private groomer".
    I've had a lot of former Petsmart/Petco grooming customers complain of injury and abuse. YOU CANNOT EXPECT PERSONAL ATTENTION AND SERVICE FROM AN ASSEMBLY LINE!!! These are your BABIES - don't ever take chances, and trust your gut feelings...ALWAYS!

Sandra
    Oh You Dirty Dawg Grooming with LOVE!
    732-521-5857

• We
      30th of Nov, 2010

It's NOT the stores fault. It never is. They hire employee's based on knowledge and skill. Also they take a test at the beginning to see if the person is stable, " a psychology assessment". If they have experiance, they get the possition as a professional pet stylist if they pass. So the hired people, grooming these dogs would be at fault, if they dont follow POLICY. Every CORP. has policies!!! And if you do not follow them you get FIRED!! So how is this petsmarts or petcos Fault?! It's not. If an incident happens, you would get a mnger and call corprate to make sure your heard. They will always be nice and work with you. If you don't want a spciffic groomer, watch and see how the stylits groom other dogs. Stand a little far from the window though- so the animals dont get excited. You wouldn't want someone enterupting you at work right?. Then just pick another groomer, there are good people and employee's. They do a great job!

• We
      30th of Nov, 2010

Oh and by the way these horror stories are people here about are all over the place not just from one store! Some people are real hard to please. But theres complaints at all big named stores, and even small ones too, these ma, n pa pet stores dont have all the rules the big corps do, such as cleaning bades after each pet, they may use a kennel dryer on a dog that it not supposed to be kennel dried. and then you would you go to if there isn't a manager on duty. At big corporations theres always a manager.

• Wt
      30th of Nov, 2010

This company is absolutely rediculous!!! I also would like to think the people on here for helping me get all the information to actually contact this company. In previous months I had even gone to an FYE store to figure it out and they had no idea what was even going on. It had stopped somehow for a month and I was thankful, and then these past 2 months it has came back. I have spoken to 2 different supervisors at the toll free number and I have never been so aggravated with a company before in my life. And to top it off their customer service reps were extremely rude when speaking to me!!! I hope you all figure out this also.