Petsmart / poor service!

1 Canada Review updated:

I was recently in a Canadian petsmart store, that has apparently taken over all the Canadian owned SuperPets that I used to shop at. The food I have had my dog on for over 6 years is now not carried because of the buy-out by PetSmart. The breeds of birds are no longer available because PetSmart only uses certain breeders. Some of the staff was the same, but I was told that a lot of them had already quit because of how PetSmart treats their own employees. Others had already been fired! It has upset me greatly to see employees who worked for SuperPet for years, whom I have personally dealt with, have to leave their job because this American company has put so many demands of them. One staff member was telling me that any one who works on cash, must get 65% of the customers that come through to sign up for these "pet perks cards" if they don't get their mandatory 65% then PetSmart can fire them! How absolutely ridiculous this is... and this is just one of many things I found out about what this company expects from its employees. I will not shop at this Company ever again, which I must say is very sad since I actually had a personal relationship with some of the staff while it was SuperPet. What a shame that this Canadian owned SuperPet chain sold out to a American owned PetSmart company that cares nothing about their staff or customers.

Comments

• Da
      8th of Dec, 2007

I can tell you for a fact that it takes alot more to fire an employee than not getting 65% of their customers to sign up for PetPerks. There is a whole write up and warning process, just like any other business. Also, from the way you talk about it... why does it matter that PetSmart is an AMERICAN company???

• Ry
      12th of Feb, 2008

As a cashier for PetSmart, personally I can 100% disagree with you here. This company has been one of the best I have worked for and they treat everyone in my store great! The managers are nice and friendly, and the store manager is probably the nicest and jokes the most. I have many personal experiences in which I can vouch for PetSmart. And let me tell you, what is this nonsense of having 65% of customers sign up for PetPerks??? Never heard of that, but let me say that I probably only issue 2-3 PetPerks a day...nowhere near 65%. So, maybe things are different up in Canada, but down here in the US, PetSmart is a great place to work!

• Is
      20th of Feb, 2008

From a person actually in it, and not a person listening to discruntled former employees, I can tell you that Petsmart is a wonderful place to work. I've never heard of any of the guidelines and procedures you talk about. Maybe some of the people who were fired needed to be. Petsmart has a really high standard in safety and if anyone comprimises that they need to go. Sorry you disagree because you can't get birds you like or food your dog eats. You're an outsider who should judge the source of info. And if you choose not to shop there then please don't. I personally hate dealing with people who have already made up there minds and don't like to look at facts.

• Ki
      8th of Aug, 2008

I work for the petcare department and I've had no problems. It takes to work the job to know it and you don't know it. Maybe that store is rubbish, but most managers -or atleast mine- keep you after 3 write ups. I don't know what your source is smokin, but its makin them ###ed.