Petsmart / petsmart - not smart about customer service

1 Canada Review updated:

This company is all about profits, no customer service values or
healthy outlook towards pets. Today I used a manufacture coupon at my local Petsmart location and I was asked to pay the taxes on a free bag. I have never heard of or seen anything so tacky and in such poor taste in all of my life! This
gave me a really low impression of Petsmart. This was just embarrassing! I take manufacture coupons at my work all the time and I do not ask my guests to cover the taxes. As well I have used coupons before at smaller pet food retailers (Bosley's, Save-On-Foods, to name a couple) and this has never occurred there, so why at a larger chain where one expects to be treated better?? This just reinforces the idea that larger chains are all about profits and not about customer service! And no, there was no such fine print on this coupon - the coupon said it would cover up to a certain amount and that amount would have covered the taxes I had to pay! And on top of it all the cashier was rude and pushy about it and was angry with me for giving my other coupon to one of their other customers!

Here was their official reply:

Dear (and here they copied my email address instead of typing my name). Thank you for your email.

We apologize that you are upset about paying sales tax on the free bag of food. Unfortunately, any coupon used, regardless of the amount does require that the consumer pay the applicable sales tax. This requirement is typically listed on the fine print on the back of the coupon and is a law we are not able to override.

If you have any further questions, please contact us again.

Sincerely,
[protected]

Ti

Comments

2nd of Sep, 2007

Your the one being tacky, not pet smart, good grief, So you got a free bag of pet food and got upset for paying the sales tax. YOU need to educate yourself on business. All company's have to pay the sales tax they collect on every product they sell...they don't get to keep the sales tax, they have to pay it to the state monthly on every product they sell, thats why you had to pay the sale's tax, even though the coupon was for a free bag of pet food, you apparently did not read the fine print on the coupon, never includes free sales tax, someone has to pay the state for sales tax.

• Li
      11th of Sep, 2007

I work at petsmart as a pet trainer but also cashier sometimes. I had the same thing happen to a customer and it took me awhile to read the fine print, but it did say the person was responsible for taxes. I don't think it's fair, but it is the coupon that dictates what happens, not petsmart. I had a time with the customer and understood what he was saying. If it says it is free, then it should be FREE.

• Da
      8th of Dec, 2007

I've had to pay sales tax on many free things before too. The way I see it is you're getting a free bag of food. What is a couple cents to you? I think I would be happy if I only had to pay the sales tax on the bag of food!

14th of Jan, 2008

Unless you were hiding in a cave in some remote island everybody has heard of paying taxes on most anything you buy. I have never seen a coupon where taxes were not to be payed by the customer. Fast food contests like McDonalds monopoly instant food winner games you even pay the taxes on your mcmuffin. They or any other business is not resposible for that nor should anybody expect them to pay YOUR taxes. Get a grip and be happy for the free bag of food and quit being so rude and greedy.

• Re
      5th of Feb, 2008

Welcome to the 21st Century, where consumers are taxed on their purchases. In the majority of states, the Government requires companies to collect these taxes. If you operate a business that accepts coupons, and you are not requiring your consumer to pay such taxes, you are commiting coupon fraud, by not following the terms of the coupon. Unless your state excludes it, and only a few do, you are also commiting tax fraud. Yes, the coupon that you redeemed said that taxes are the responsibility of the consumer. The manufacturer wrote the coupon, in compliance with local laws, not PetSmart. Pull your head out of your hiney long enough to read, and comprehend how sales tax laws works in your state. Hope your pets enjoyed the bag of food that the manufacturer GAVE you for free, since the tax all went to your state Government. Greedy bast*rd!

6th of Aug, 2008

How would Petsmart make money on Taxes? They dont, thats the Goverment, not Petsmart, [censored]

• Po
      11th of Feb, 2009

haha, it's the law you ###. Complain about your government, not PetSmart. What are they supposed to do? Break the law just so you don't have to pay tax on your FREE dog food?

• Tw
      25th of Feb, 2009

that's the law...the other day someone complained about having to pay taxes on grooming bc its a service but the law says that grooming is considered a luxury. blah blah blah. its the law contact your senator no the store manager everytime you come in!!!

• Mo
      17th of Jul, 2009

Umm, win you win a car on Price is right, you have to pay taxes. You go to Oprah and she gives you something, you have to pay the taxes. You win the lottery, you have to pay taxes. BUT no way should you ever have to pay sales tax on a free bag of dog food. Are you kidding me? This is your big complaint? What was it 2.00? For goodness sake! Then we all wonder why the economy is in such bad shape.