Petsmart / fraud and scam

This seems rather petty compared to the reports of pet illness and death I've read on this site, but all the same...

I recently purchased a $40 gift card for a relative, who is an equine enthusiast (horse person.) After hearing her speak about how petsmart no longer offers equine items, I attempted to return the gift card, with receipt and the original credit card used for purchase to the physical location where I originally purchased it. I was denied, and given a number for the corporate offices in Arizona. I called the office this morning to kindly request a refund, and left a message on the customer assistance line stating the earlier issue: no point in giving a gift card to a shop that doesn't supply equine items and doesn't have any household pets! I politely requested a refund, and gave my contact information.

I received a call back earlier this afternoon from a smug woman who stated that there were no refunds on cards, which are, apparently, treated as cash. She stated that equine products have not been offered for two years now, which is very surprising, since I could have swore I was in a store earlier this year that had equine items! Perhaps it was a competitor, but they clearly use the same type of building design. Warehouse type place with almost identical signs over the isles showing what animal pertains to what area of the store.

In any case, like I said earlier, they didn't kill my dog, (I don't even have a dog,) but after the poor service I've received, I will be certain to not purchase anything from their stores again.

Di

Comments

Li
  12th of Feb, 2009

i'm not so sure this was actually fraud or a scam...
i mean it sucks that you couldn't get a refund on the card but really, I cant think of ANY store that would let you return a gift card.

Vi
  22nd of Mar, 2009

Some PetSmart do carry equine items, but not all. It was possible she as talking about her store alone that no longer carries equine items. And the person above is correct. I've never heard of a store who returns gift cards.

Mo
  17th of Jul, 2009

That is correct my two fellow respondents. If you had read the back of the card it would have told you it can not be returned or sold for cash. I know at several of my local stores there is horse products because my sister and I have bought the Bronco Fly spray. You could have used the card online and bough horse items.

Ma
  1st of Aug, 2009

Sell the card for face value on ebay.

Ma
  1st of Aug, 2009

Sorry, I meant to say sell the card for a few dollars less than what you paid for it on ebay. Like if it's a $50 card, sell it for $44. At least you will get some of your money back. Gift cards are a bad thing to buy anyway. I saw a show on TV that said 25-30% of them never get redeemed by the people who get them as gifts. Waste of money.

Zo
  20th of Aug, 2009

My wife works at petsmart, yeah they stopped carrying horse stuff in early 2007 apparently.

Ko
  13th of Sep, 2009

nobody will let you return a gift card

Sp
  28th of Jun, 2010

PetSmart stopped selling equine supplies in 07 (sometime in the summer what wasn't sold got packed up and sent back) I know because I worked there at the time as they started pulling it from the stores and put the company up for sale. I was one of the equine employees that was relocated to a new position. So to say any store had horse supplies after that is a lie. They carry bronco fly spray because it is used for dogs not just horses.

Ro
  11th of Dec, 2011

I can vouch for the fact that those witches in Arizona have an extremely nasty attitude.