Payless Car Rental / Very poor customer experience
Payless offers a lower cost service online for car rentals. However, once you arrive at the desk to pick-up your car they use a series of bait and switch type behaviors to add a series of add-ons.
It is high pressure sales and in my case an outright lie to add additional insurance coverage and a misrepresentation of the total cost. I attempted to find the manager once I checked with my insurance company on the coverage I had for a rental. When I was at the car return the manager was inside, when I went inside the manager was at the car return.
The first part of this approach is to have no one at the counter so you're in -line for a very long time. Like myself, their clients are not business people they are families looking for a deal and they use that fact. While you're in line a natural reaction is to want to get out since family or friends are is waiting on you. There were no less than 10 different options I was questioned about, a continuous push to pre-buuy gas and upgrade to a bigger vehicle. Once you've gone through this the form has no less than 10 places you must initial about the what you've purchased or not and then a signature. In my case I was told $10 for coverage my insurance doesn't cover in Arizona, it was a lie and moreover it was $10 per day no total. My fault for not reading more carefully but also, I've never had Hertz or Avis pull this type of thing.
I believe the approach is legal but skirting the edge and it is certainly unethical. Personally, I'll never use them again. If you ever do use them, they are lying for teh most aprt about any upgrades or costs, just say no. Also, there is no way to get them to just give you your contract aas signed up for online, you have to go through the entire 30 minutes wait in line and close to 20 minute loop at the desk.
Then, be sure you look the car over completely. They are all over the car on return looking for any damage to charge you for.
I did email them and got a reply saying they don't see anything wrong, the absolutely cannot refund any money and won't check on it. Also, the note has an attachment stating that I cannot use their direct response as it is a personal and confidential correspondence.
Pretty much they got the money and don't care otherwise. The behavior of the sales rep shows this is obviously a trained situation.
Not much else other than a very poor customer experience.
More Payless Car Rental Complaints & Reviews
- Payless Car Rental - Fraudulent Repair Charges 
- Payless Car Rental - misleading advertising, old wrecked car, overcharged 
- Payless Car Rental - over charge repairs 
- Payless Car Rental - hidden geographic restrictions on ‘unlimited miles'
- Payless Car Rental - Unconscionable damage claim 
- Payless Car Rental - rental car at orlando airport 
- Payless Car Rental - bait and switch to a high cost car
- Payless Car Rental - rude customer service and bizarre rates
- Payless Car Rental - payless is a horrible business.
- Payless Car Rental - charged my card which has posted for $183.00 for service I didn't receive april 26 th