Payless Car Rental / misleading advertising, old wrecked car, overcharged

When making online Expedia reservations for a business trip with a car rental from Kansas City International airport, I selected Payless Car Rental because it is the only company advertised as being inside the terminal with cars at the terminal. When I arrived I discovered that both are actually a shuttle bus away along with all the other companies. I ordered a full-size car. When they led me to it (the only car in their lot at the time) I find a beat-up Grand Marquis land yacht that had been wrecked (entire front end repainted, and paint was already coming back off, plus big dent on trunk lid) and that had almost 48, 000 miles it. On the road it was also clear that the transmission was on its last legs. THEN when I returned the car after 27 hours, my $56 daily rental cost over $200. What a rip-off fly-by-night outfit! Avoid Payless Car Rental, at least at KCI -- unsafe equipment, overcharged rates, and THEY ARE NOT INSIDE THE KCI TERMINAL despite misleading advertising to the contrary.

Comments

• Wh
      23rd of May, 2009

It seems like that's the trend with Payless and Fox Car Rental and Expedia. No matter what airport you select, they always come up as being in-terminal when that's clearly not possible. It says the same thing for Phoenix, even though ALL rental cars are a bus ride away because there's no physical space at the terminals for rental car facilities.

7th of Aug, 2009

Actually, it's not because there is no room, it's because it's a liability issue after 9/11. This is also why you cannot return a car at the airport and have the company come pick it up.

As for the vehicle, it's obvious that the car was soon to be retired, however, I fail to see how a car with that mileage would be unacceptable, as most dealers consider a to be 'high' mileage at 70, 000. (When most warrenties are up.)

It also looks like your rental was during the summer, in which case it's reasonable to expect few cars on the lot. They're probably all rented! Additionally, a Grand Marquis is considered a Premium car, not a full size because it is slightly bigger than a full size and has additional amenities. I have yet to see one without leather seats for example.

Also, dents happen. Accidents happen. Obviously if it was the last car on the lot, there were no other options. Also, the name Payless means that it's the cheapest rate. Everywhere. You are more than welcome to go to any other company. Hertz and Enterprise for example will have the same car but a difference of at least $100 a day in price.

As you had a reservation, the company was required to provide you with a car. And trust me, no one wants to puts you in a crappy car. If it was all that was available there's nothing that can be done about it, though I am sorry, I do want to state that CLEARLY but I hope I do not offend.

Now, you paid $200 for two days in the car, sounds about right, but I bet your reservation was for three days. Most companies have a no refund policy, as they are required to pay commission to the site you booked with. Additionally, when you return early they have an extra car they have to figure out what to do with and when you return late they are short a car. Some companies charge you an extra fee for returning early or late for this additional reason. And the way they view it is if you did not want the car you had that option before you signed the contract.

• Di
      19th of Jun, 2016

To the comment: Who are you kidding? I have probably rented 500 cars over the years. I have never come close to paying $100 a day, much less $100 a day more than Payless. The most I've ever paid, taxes, etc., included, is under $400 a week. I had my own battle with Payless. They are totally corrupt, refuse any semblance of customer service, would not respond to me after calling unsuccessfully over 50 times and leaving messages, and wouldn't even respond to the credit card company when I disputed the charges they added without telling me. The dispute was settled in my favor, by the way, when Payless didn't even answer. I will never use them again.