Panasonic 52& LCD Projection HDTV / Got screwed out of $3,000.00 and a tv

Trenton, NE, United States Review updated:

I purchased this television for $3,000.00 in 2003. In december 2006 a bulb blew in the tv so they replaced it. What they neglected to tell me was it was in a class action suit for this bulb issue. I was to opt out of it in a certain time if I did not want to be included. However you would have to be informed of it to opt out of it. Then in may of 07 the tv stopped working again. I thought it was a bulb again. I was wrong. My tv went right to the ballst which was what was ultimately wrong with the set in the first place. The company does not stand behind their products and treats the people who wish to express their problems with them very poorly. Customer service was disrespectful and very rude to the customer. Then as a bonus I was able to be informed by their corporate lawyers office that the law suit was over and they were no longer obligated to do any thing for the customers that got screwed out of $3,000.00 and a tv.
Va

Comments

Cf
  27th of Feb, 2008
I've been having a similar problem with a Panasonic 42" projection hdtv purchased for about $2,500 in 2003. Fortunately, I have been bearing the financial burden of the extended warranty offered by Best Buy where I bought the dog. I've renewed the warranty twice now, each time for a year versus the max three year option offered in the paperwork. The power bulb has blown out three times and the cost to me would have been over $1,300 so far, except for the warranty coverage. Annoyingly, the darn unit has to have a filter cleaned every few hundred viewing hours too, but at least I can do that myself.

However, now I find that since the unit is over 5 years old, there is no further renewable option on that warranty. Of course, the paperwork makes no mention of this fact... it only gives a one year, a two year and a three year option at a very high price. So, a $3,000 dollar "investment" is now nothing but a liability----unless I am willing to pay out $500 a year when the bulb gives out.

I;ve neither heard, nor received anything mentioning a class action suit for this particular hdtv but, boy, do I feel like a misled and abused consumer. That's the last Panasonic product I'll ever waste my hard earned money buying.

Caveat emptor
Pa
  3rd of Feb, 2010
I purchased a Panasonic LCD Projection TV from Circuit City around 2005 for over $3000. The TV broke down in less than two years after replacing the lamp. Luckily, I purchased a protection plan with the TV, and after three months of battling, they gave me a replacement Panasonic TV (model #PT-52LCX65).

After three years use and purchasing a new lamp (around$250), I am having problems with it. I looked on a website for troubleshooting called "All Experts" and found someone who has the same type of problem I do, a purple hue that moves around the screen and affects the lighter images on the TV programs. The repair man that responded to the Panasonic Customer's question said that Panasonic has had trouble with this particular model's projector engine, and to contact Panasonic directly.

When I contacted Panasonic to find out why I have had two TVs breakdown in less than 5 years time they did not have an answer, but instead referred me to an authorized repair place and told me I would have to pay to have it fixed. This is unacceptable! I can't justify paying a repair place to fix an unreliable product, only to have it breakdown again. Is there anyone else out there who is having this problem with their TV?

Something needs to be done about this!

Panasonic Corporation Logo Panasonic Corporation