P. C. Richard & Son / the worst customer service

I have had a horrific time with PC Richards in NYC. 1 year ago I purchased a refrigerator after the first one I purchased went bad. It should have been a simple exchange since I had a warranty but no such luck. They were extremely rude in the 14th street store and not very knowledgeable. I finally got things squared away. Now I am trying to make sure I can redeem my $116.00 credit by checking over the phone. This process has taken over an hour. I am on hold while I write this for the 2nd time today for over 20 minutes. The other 2 times in 2 different locations they just put me on hold and came back to the phone and hung it up.

Va

Comments

12th of Jun, 2008

I work for P. C. Richard and Son and I have been with them for some time now . Out of respect to your complaint and on behalf of what I feel I represent I would like to say I'm sorry for your experience. We as a team try to handle every complaint on the sales floor through what we sell before during and after the sale. I can say that normally we do whats rite but sometimes the company has not been able to instill this motto to some of our newer sales reps. what ever the case may have been I would like to say sorry on behalf of our sales and service team . I am not writing this because of any obligation or for any other status of changed opinion . What has happened was wrong and there is no denying of that. I would like to say that I personally have seen the way our company has handled many issues and I am proud to be a part of a company that cares so much about what you feel that even on my off time I would like to address this issue. I have been in retail before and until now I have not been so moved by a companies ability to relate to its consumers. Every one makes a mistake and no one is perfect . With that being said I hope that some day you may be able to come to one of our locations again and see that we have a very knowledgeable and caring team all the way form long island, New York, And New Jersey .
    Once again I am sorry for your lost time and lost patients .
    M.R. str. 41

• St
      29th of Jul, 2008

Hi,

I also have problems with PC Richards. It's a rip-off joint.

I bought a DSLR camera there a few days ago. I quickly decided I wanted to return it, but the lady said "no way" when I called. Apparently they don't accept returns on cameras. Or much else for that matter. The receipt says returns are fine, but when you got the web site it lists all sorts of items that can't be returned. And that list includes almost everything the store sells. Cameras, most appliances, you got it. So, I say, go to Best Buy, and they give you 14 days to return any item, even a camera, with just a small restocking fee. I wish I bought at Best Buy, as I'm stuck with this thing now...stupid me. Stupid policy.

7th of Aug, 2008

Once again I have to defend what I know is to be a faulty complaint. In every electronic sale there is a certain guideline that must be followed. Certain things which must be followed by the first consumer as to not hurt the second. You see items that are seasonal which are GPS units and Cameras to mention a few are not returnable for one reason in general. Customers some times use then for a vacation and return them to the store causing issues with the product that we can no longer sale as a new item . If we as retailers allow this to happen then we are at fault and are no different then the other stores which sell you used products at a over cost to you .Which we do not do . Every case is different. I am speaking as a person and am in no way speaking in the name of this company or the other. Every receipt states at the bottom items are not sold on a trial basis and are not returnable unless defected or not working in the manner intended with in 20 days. Now as far as u making a purchase that u did not want that is simply your mistake as a consumer . You should have done the research and not purchased it if it was not to your standards to begin with. Simply stated the fault is your and you did not like the out come of your mistake. Please refrain from blaming others for your own mistakes.
    If the item was faulty we would have exchanged it for you or refunded you your FULL purchase price and not CHARGED YOU A RESTOCK FEE OF A PRODUCT YOU NO LONGER WILL HAVE.
    best buy is over priced with sales staff who know nothing of the products they sell. thank you have a great day. :)

6th of Sep, 2008

Marko--sure doesn't bode well that you have to keep comin here to defend PCR--they're no good whatsoever. I have had terrible experiences with them and and will tell everyone I know in Northern NJ to NEVER waste their money/time with their high-pressure salesmen, who give all decent salesmen a bad name. Never again, not even a penny.

24th of Jan, 2009

I too have been taken advantage by p c richards and son and thier sub contracting companies. I have been employed for a # of years with them and to this day they pay some of their workers 40.00(forty dollars) a day salary cash or sometimes it even gets taxed.that includes deliveries and sometimes installations anywhere from 6 to 15 jobs daily.They are obviously overpriced and over-rated! unless its on sale spend your hard-earned money somewhere else where its appreciated even after you have given them your $$$ and they won't leave you holding on the phone all day.avg.waiting time on hold is 15-30 min. sometimes more! They also never tell you that if you have something delivered and installed that it may take one day to disconnect another for pick up another seperate company does the installation besides the delivery. if you call the automated machine to find out times they may say anytime from 8am to 5pm its a joke! SERIOUSLY!!

• Ps
      17th of Apr, 2009

yo compre un psp en astoria pc richard and sons febrero 14 2009 me vendieron uno del ano 2001 lo quise devolver dijeron que la caja estaba un poco rota vote mi dinero embano yo queria devolverlo por un nintendo dsl para mi hijo pero no se pudo tengo credito con ellos sera la ultima vez que compro ahi los supervisores y emplead9os no tratan de ayudar al consumidor

• Ps
      17th of Apr, 2009

compre un psp en astoria pc richard and sons el dia 14 de febrero 2009 para mi hijo a el no le gusto lo quise devolver antes de la semana dijeron que no porque la caja estaba un poco rota ni siquiera lo usamos estaba intacto los empleados y supervisor hablaron conmigo dijeron que no incluso yo no queria el dinero para atras lo que queria era un nintendo dsl fueron determinantes y descortes por eso no quiero saber mas de ellos ahi tengo el psp guardado para nada incluso fui a otro almacen diferente direccion pero del mismo y me dijeron que tiene que ser donde lo compre.

• Ky
      2nd of Jul, 2009

I am a family member of a PC Richard employee. I can tell you that I think they are TERRIBLE uncarying greedy company who only cares about putting money the top management and the president's pocket.

The family member who works there is taken advantage of terribly. He is out on the road installing or fixing things from about 6am to 10 pm and they pay crap. Example, if they need to order a part the tech does not get a paid complete, even he spent 2 hours on the machine to discover it needs a part, you are out of luck. The overtime is a set amount each week and you will work TRIPPLE the amount they pay you. The hours you get paid never change even if you work 30 hours more in a week than your paycheck says. They have a mandatory 10-14 jobs per day which is just not possible to get done in 8 hours. The person I know is working 12-16 hours days without propper compensation. The preach about their president all the time and how wonderful a company it is and how the customers come first etc etc, well what about their employees and their employees familys? Don't they matter? I can't say much for the sales staff, but I can tell you that the field workers are way over-worked and underpaid and PC R. could care less if you have a family or actually want a life outside the company. They think you were born to work for them in dictatorship, and don't dare go against the status quote or they threaten you. I urge you, shop elsewhere don't support a company who mistreats its employees so much. I know my family member will leave there the first opportunity that comes alon
    ~digruntled employee relative.

• Re
      1st of Sep, 2010

i purchased a niko camera in may of 2010, july the usb part on the camera got broken. I took it back to pc richard they sent it out on july 27, they sent me an e-mail stating that it has to be sent to the manufacture, I said fine and theyalso said i have to pay 100.00 to get it fixed when i only had the camera for 2 months i said fine because i need to get it fixed. I have called customer service and they are given me the no answers for my camera, they keep on sayin its at nikon and the parts did not come in yet. Now it is September 1 and i still have not gotten my camera back yet. They did not even try and give another camera until mines got fixed. PC richards will never get my business again

• Bu
      20th of Oct, 2010

I bought a HP Computer for my daughter at PC richards. The computer turned out to be a refurbished computer sold as new.The employees are rude and think they are above the law. They will not listen to us or our computer repair person. They have basically called us liars. The truth will eventually be discovered . When I called HP they told me that PC Richards is not an authorized retailer of HP computers. They also keep telling me that the consumer should only buy directly from HP or an authorized seller of HP- such as WALMART. I believe that PC Richards buys their HP products from a 3rd party and not directly from HP.They need to be investigated -honesty and integrity-that was in the past. The new PC Richards are just part of the reason why the economy has downturned.Such a shame!

• Tr
      2nd of Jan, 2011

First ill tell u... dont let ur bad experience with a mediocere sales man b the reason u dont shop there anymore...
    ILL GIVE U GOOD REASONS...

1.the sales man ur dealing with gets paid $500/week b4 taxes, which they owe back to the company if they do not cover that.
    ...that being said he/she probably owes p.c. money...crz u say..indeed..

2.no concern over their sales staff what so ever...unless ur writting 100K a month, therefore becoming an elite pc soldier, (eps-aka "the untouchables", for future ref)

3. most of them want to get fired..
    (wouldn't u?????)

4.in the effort of staying competative in pricing, the price is changed numerous time through the week..(most of the time the salesman dosnt know)if its lower than the tag price someone didnt change it. sucks for their com based salesman...if its higher ull get the lower price...

CLARIFYING the whole comm salesman thing:
    there is no longer commision at pc only the idea still exist...u c. it works as such, to earn the commision u must sell it at retail price.. not too hard, except that they post it at a lower price on-line, newspapers, in-store sales...so anybody with internet access or a cellphone (thank god there isnt a lot of those)can find the SALE price.So everything u sell is just 1%, unless ur part of the EPS which means he has the managers code, and is at least getting 2%..

5. THEY DONT HIRE WOMEN, unless its for the front office...I BELIVE IN U SALESWOMAN, they dont!(if u go through their 60+ stores, ull find maybe 10 at thbest..there are about 2000+ men..equal opportunity employer????

6.The unfairness with the EPS and the rest of the sales is crazy, while everyone else is cleaning, taggin storing merchandise an eps will always be just selling...

7.The managers(most) are just puppets for "the untouchables", who are just there to make sure the rest of the crew is working hard...to top it off they(managers) love to hand out their duties such as, merchandising, inventories, even truck unloading...but not to the esp no no no

8.It has gotten to the point that to make money u have to b untruthful, a liar and a cheat...carefull of the untouchables...

9. but its not all bad...IF U SAYING U GOT A PRICE FROM 6ave, no matter how retared, they will do it...

Before the old man died i was proud to say i worked at pc.richard and son, it truly was a great place where u could make an honest living..

P.C. RICHARD & Son is NOT the same company from 100 years ago, not even 50, 30, 20 years ago..it changed Dec 28, 2004.

KEEP THE SANITY SHOP ONLINE.

3rd of Mar, 2011

I too have had a problem w/PC Richard. I bought an expensive Frigidare range less than a year ago and have had 3 service calls with another one in the works. The only think on the stove that works properly is the clock! I asked a customer service woman in the store if I could return the range & she laughed! Said, "We don't do things like that."
    I will never ever buy from PC Richard again. Nor will I buy Frigidare.

2nd of Apr, 2011

PC RICHARD & SON IS A JOKE OF A COMPANY THAT SHOULD CLOSE THEIR DOORS FOR GOOD AND i'll tell you why!!! DO NOT SHOP THERE! They sell LEMONS! IF YOU WANT A LEMON, GO TO YOUR LOCAL GROCERY STORE! i was an ex-employee of that Nazi-operated company! i was a victim of their mass layoffs within the past few months! They laid me off blaming the economy and slow sales and whatnot! Then if THEY'RE blaming the economy, THEN WHY DID THEY OPEN 9 NEW SHOWROOMS IN THE PAST 2 YEARS IN THE HEIGHT OF THIS COUNTRY'S WORST RECESSIONS IN HISTORY?!!! I am barely making ends meet and looking for work in this crappy economy is difficult, while those Nazis line their pockets with cash and laughing at the victims they victimized!

PLEASE, do yourselves a favor and don't buy from PC RICHARD & SON. you'll be doing yourselves a favor in the long run, believe me. They sell LEMONS and treat their employees like CRAP! you're better off buying somewhere else.

• Li
      16th of May, 2011

Pc richards is a horrible place to work.Im currently working for the company and they have no respect for people lives and future.the company is taking back commissions from most of the items and bonus bucks especially high end goods and other appliances.knowing that business slow down they started to make more saleman work more hrs and lower commission so that the company gains more profits and saleman go deeper in the whole so that every month you write business thats all profit the company gets and all you get is $500 week working a 55hr wk and on holidays and summer days saleman is working 6days so you can become burn out with no time for family and friends.Pc richards dont care for those who make them money.I been working there for roughly 3yrs and from what I hear things was pretty well in the pass such as early 2000's but after the founder(AJ) pass away the grandson after the actual son took over started to lay people off that who ever was in the whole meaning if you owe money to the company you was fired.The reason why the company havent got hit with countless lawsuits was because not enough people havent file for class action case.its alot more unlawful activities thats going on in the company but not fully reveal.customers need to know the truth behind of the struggle and stress we go through in the showrooms.Im just letting todd(President) know that $700, 000 plus salary you getting will become a resume piece of paper when your company goes down...

16th of May, 2011

I totally agree with you! So you say business is slow, huh?? it's air conditioner season pretty soon. If it's slow during that period, it is a sure sign that PC RICHARD & SON will be following in the footsteps of The Wiz, Circuit City, Newmark & Lewis, Crazy Eddie and close their doors for good in the near future. That place is soooo corrupt. I bet Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were the company's top customers. I bet PC Richard & Son was mourning the death of Bin Laden! LOL

how they treat their employees is absolutely disgusting and UNLAWFUL! Yeah, you made another interesting point; this company doesn't have enough lawsuits and whatnot because most of the managers intimidate workers and subject them to public humiliation in their petty morning meetings and those FOOLS in Farmingdale keep feeding new workers LIES and more LIES and EVEN MORE LIES saying that they'll make a lot of money and the managers are great. That is all BS!

I hope this stinkin' company goes BANKRUPT and shuts down...

oh, and don't forget about Black Friday where this company forces all their salespeople work from 3:30 am to 11:30 PM! THAT IS SO UNLAWFUL, since the last commenter brought up the 6-day work week and making $500. THAT'S LESS THAN $10 PER HOUR!

• Ky
      1st of Jun, 2011

I HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PCR!!! THEY CONTINUE TO TREAT THE EMPLOYEES LIKE CRAP!!! THEY HAVE NOW TAKEN AWAY ALL HOLIDAY SATURDAYS FROM THE TECH GROUP!!! THESE ARE SATURDAYS THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN OFF. THEY ALREADY WORK LONG AND HARD ENOUGH!!! GIVE THEM TIme WITH THEIR FAMILES! STOP SAYING PCR IS A FAMILY COMPANY WHEN THEY CARE NOTHING ABOUT THE FAMILIES OF THEIR EMPLOYEES!!! ALL THE MONEY (OR LACK THERE OF) IS NOT WORTH IT IF YOU DONT GET TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY!!! TECH ALREADY WORK EVERY OTHER SAT and THEY JUST KEEP TAKING AWAY THEIR REGULAR DAYS OFF> NOW INTERFFERING WITH HOLIDAY WEEKENDS!!! DON'T THEY DESERVE A BREAK ToO! I'm sorry but GIVING THEM A TEUSDAY OFF IS NOT THE SAME THING. MOST PEOPLE WORK MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY AND HAVE SAT. OFF. THEY LOOK FORWARD TO LONG HOLIDAY WEEKENDS AND NOW PCR JUST SCREWED ALL TECH EMPLOYESS AND THEIR FAMILIES!!! IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME IF THEY LOSE A LOT OF GOOD MEN OVER THIS! ENOUGH'S ENOUGH. THEY HAVE SOME TALENTED TECH'S BUT THEY CONTINUE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE, OVERWORKED, UNDERPAID, NO RAISES IN 4 YEARS, AND NOW TAKE AWAY THEIR HOLIDAY WEEKENDS. ITS GOT TO STOP! LABOR BOARD HERE WE COME! PERHPAPS THE LABOR BOARD WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE DETAILED ACCOUNTS I KEEP OF HOW MUCH OVERTIME HAS NOT BEEN PAID AND HOW THEY HAVE FALSIFIED PAYCHECKS WITH SHORTENED OT TO GET AWAY WITH PAYING LESS TO THE EMPLOYEES.. HMMMMMMMM LETS SEE NOW... I AM SURE THERE ARE RULES ABOUT OPERATING DANGEROUS EQUIPMENT WITH OUT ENOUGH REST... I HAVE GOOD CONNECTIONS WITH THE PRESS TOO.. WONDER IF HELP ME HOWARD WANTS TO KNOW, AND PERHAPS A SPECIAL SECTION IN NEWSDAY AIRING ALL OF PC'S DIRY LAUNDRY AND THEIR ILLEGAL PRACTICES... SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!

• 0 Votes

I am probably among the easiest customers P.C Richards have seen. I wanted a TV, knew the exact model and size I wanted, had the money in hand, and just wanted a competitive rate from Best Buy. The customer service at the 14th St P.C Richards is a joke. They don't know their products. They don't know what the cost of items are. And when I asked what the final cost would be tv+tax+delivery, our ineffecient salesman said it would be too much trouble to look that up unless it was for the actual sale. But because their price was a few hunderd dollars less than Best Buy I bought the TV. Since then I have had nothing but trouble from each and every person I have talked to at P.C Richards. It took me 1 hour on the phone to change my delivery date. I was also told at the store that I could call up 24 hours before hand to get a time of when the tv would be delivered. I have now called 24 hours before hand, and they say I have to wait until the morning of to find out what my 4 hour window will be. I will NEVER buy another items from this store again. I would have much rather paid the extra $200 at Best Buy to avoid all this hassel. After this experience I will make sure no one I know gives a penny to this poorly run company.

• Pa
      7th of Feb, 2012

Don't buy extended warranty it is a rip off. I was taken for $278 dollars on a laptop and printer they swore that no matter what happens to these two things they would replace them. Well I broke the screen went to the store and spoke to the salesman Mo who didn't remember me and pretty much called me a liar to my face, then spoke to the manager he did the same. I am a disabled gentlemen and they pretty much took advantage of me and tried to get extra money in the sale so he makes more on his commission. I have contacted 7 on yourside and they will check into this matter.I also contacted the Americans with Disablities to help me in this matter shame on PC Richards for treating the disabled this way with fast talking sales people. By the way this was the Paramus New Jersey store and the salesman name was Mo and the manager was Brian so if you go there beware.

• Je
      30th of Oct, 2012

I am a former employee of P.C. Richard & Son. Let me tell you that this is not bitterness talking - as much as I feel that they were an awful employer, This is an honest-to-God admission.

P.C. Richard & Son employees are treated terribly at the retail level, but especially at the corporate level. Office politics and bullying are rampant, and management does nothing about it...especially since Management is part of the bullying problem. You never get a pat on the back, an acknowledgement of good hard work...but you will always be called out and humiliated in front of your fellow employees for the slightest mistake. I witnessed someone that used to work with me there several years ago quickly deteriorate...from a nice, friendly person to a beaten, tired and stressed husk. When he told me he found a new job I was so happy for him, especially because I hadn't seen him that happy in over a year at that point. The same exact thing happened to 4 other people that I knew while I worked there - they went form happy, sociable people to withdrawn, depressed introverts within the span of a few months. We all did, at one point.

P.C. Richard IS a family company...a Richard family company. All department heads are Richards, or the spouses of Richards. All levels of management beneath them are either children of, relatives of or personal friends handpicked by the Richard family. So, there is no hope of moving up in the company unless you're taking one of the Richard family to bed.

Their practices are immoral, the way they treat employees is unforgivable, and the pay is laughable. The type of work you do in the corporate departments (Account Management and Inbound Sales) would, in most companies, be a 35-45k job. In P.C. Richard's Corporate contractor division, employees are paid less than $10 per hour.

P.C. Richard needs to be exposed.

6th of Nov, 2013

Everything everyone else has spoken on here is SO TRUE! I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time for less than a year as an ACE Sales Counselor from June 24 to August 20 2013 at the Carteret, NJ store. They didn't even wait till the whole 90 days to let me go. About 60 if I was lucky. Management sometimes when they weren't acting, greeted you and said hello and by your name and treated sometimes like an actual human being and same with coworkers when actually had manners. I was let go at the end of the day by two managers, assistant manager named Joe Rossi and District Manager, Michael Garrison after making me work the whole day making me go thinking as if like nothing happened till the very end of the day for customer service when pulling me aside addressing the issue. I was working as an Ace associate for an minimum wage at 7.25 hourly plus 2 percent commission. I was one of the people responsible with him for doing freight Tuesday and Friday, tagging incoming freight with prices, putting it out on the floor after looking it up in the system or putting the remainder in the stock room, etc., etc. and price changes around the floor. Clean the floor clean, neat and maintaining safety and most importantly customer service. The company stresses no overtime, yet they schedule me before my meal breaks for 39 hours a week and it ends up being 36 and a half to 37 hours a week after meal breaks.I am grateful for the accommodating of the bus. I wouldn't have gotten a hourly raise had I been there longer after a year and any extra money would be from the commission I made would just barely just to make up hourly wages lost and maybe transportation costs per month, which I made me lose incentive quickly to give it a chance or go further with this company. I made 4600 my first 3 and a half weeks from from July 6th to 31st and 5000 in lesser time with 11 days left in the month from August 1st to the 20th when let go with 11 days left had they not let me go & even though I didn't have a lot of credit cards since you ask when prompted by management and the system for preapproval and they still let me go? This company still stresses and you will hear it if you don't meet expectations like I didn't like not at least once credit card a day, covering and exceeding your draw, etc. Even if I had been there a year. I will be lucky if my commission alone after taxes covers my monthly bus pass that it I use to get to and from work and but no hourly rate increase a year sealed it for me. The company tries to make you believe that you can make good money during training and on the floor, but only top selling associates do especially if they have their own clientele base and all the managers and HR try to make you believe into thinking the same during training. They pride in taking competitors down Crazy Eddie, Tops, etc. in training, but if they are not careful, they will soon join them, especially with other competitors being national like Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes, while they, PC Richard are only NY/NJ metro tri-state and regional only. I felt there was no way in moving up while working there. On the sales floor and training room, your trained to be pushy commissioned salesman with a draw and speaking from experience from what I've seen like the full fledged commission ones to push items that you might not need. Like if you just came in for a television, they push items you might not want, like credit cards, extended warranties, generation cables, etc. This job is not for me and not for everybody! Be warned before taking the ACE or full commissioned job with this company before accepting any offer this company. The managers need to learn manners like Bobby, the store manager need to learn business ethics and reprimand in private instead of on the sales floor embarrassing the associate like I was over a Xbox 360 sale gone wrong in front of fellow coworkers and customers where everyone can see it or on the sales floor itself, also business ethics and learn to respect all of your associates and others under you just as you, yourself would want to be treated and you'll get respect back! Just because your in a higher position of an assistant, actual store manager or district manager doesn't mean you can bully those beneath you, take advantage of your higher position over someone else and you go think you can get away with it.