Outback Steakhouse / fraud and cheating

Your not getting what you pay for when you order ribs at Outback. Go to any good BBQ place and order a 1/2 or full rack of ribs..and you'll get them. This is not so at Outback Steakhouse Restaurants. I ordered a full rack of ribs for $16.95 and when they brought my order I had 7 ribs with the end of the rack cut off. I thought there was a mix up in the order so I asked the waitress to double check my order was for a full rack.

The manager came out and told me that they cut the end of the ribs off (about 1/3) and what is left is considered a full rack. They said they base it on weight and a full rack is usually about 8 ribs for them. I brought to his attention the menu advertising only a full or half a rack. There is no indication of the order being based on weight. I also told him you cannot charge me for a 'FULL' rack of ribs if you cut 1/3rd of the end of my rack off to offer it as 1/2 a rack to someone else.

I can not believe they are getting away with this. When you order a full rack you should get at least 12-14 bones and half of a rack has about 6 bones in the order. This is a complete rip off. I do have to say in all honesty the manager gave me the rest of my rack at no 'extra' charge but this should have been done without me having to bring to his attention that part of my order was missing.

Outback is making a huge profit by misrepresenting their ribs as full and half racks when they are really 1/3 and 2/3 racks. Just imagine they are getting an extra $12.95 order out of each order of ribs they sell, when they cut the ribs like this... I'm not sure if other consumers have noticed or said anything, but thier menus are certainly misleading and you ARE NOT getting what you are paying for so BEWARE!

• Pam Bryant's Response, Feb 26, 2018

We ate at the Wesley Chapel outback we were there at 6:30 PM and they were out of bread they did not offer us any compensation and The bread is one of the reasons I eat at outback very disappointed

• Llwalker's Response, Apr 10, 2018

Apps took over an hour and a half we ordered prime rib they said they had plenty but it took so long for apps they ran out and then my ribeye was black charcoal worst experience ever

Ba

Comments

• Of
      20th of Feb, 2009

if you think that is a rip off try working for Outback...It says clearly in the employee hand book that "after 12 months an employee with 32+ hours a week is entitled to 1 week vaction time. every 6 months after the employee is entitled to 1 weeks vaction every 6 months" ... the working partner of my store and the VP of the district say after 12 months workers are entitled to a vaction AFTER another 6 months...so 18 months not 12 dispite clearly what the handbook states...I'll pay for your missing 1/2 rack of ribs if you pay me the FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS/week of pay outback is stealing from me and everyone else in the district who has been ripped off a weeks vacation.

Anyone a Labor Law Lawer out there reading this?...class action, anyone? Help

offgrey@hotmail.com

• Up
      4th of Apr, 2009

I totally agree with the ribs comments. I am a restaurant manager and have never seen a full rack of ribs severed like a have rack. I was so shocked and the manager was so rude, that I didn't even wont to eat there anymore and asked for my check in left. I also sent a letter to corp still waiting on a response. This practice has to change.

• Ne
      22nd of May, 2009

Same with me. 4/21/2009 at Prescott, AZ Outback. Ordered full rack and got 7 ribs. Complained to waitress and manager. (they did not offer me the rest of the ribs as noted above) Paying for full and getting half. A real ripoff. Pity the person ordering half a rack, they must get a quarter.

• Wa
      19th of Jun, 2009

I agree ou back is a very bad place to eat at. don't go any in tennesse.

30th of Dec, 2009

Seriously? You're condemning an entire restaurant because you don't think they gave you enough ribs? As a good consumer you should have asked about the mass of ribs (Yes, food service places most always create servings by weight). You expect them to roll out ten pounds of ribs that are mostly fat and bone anyway? Disgusting. They gave you the "other half" for free; you have nothing to complain about, fatty.

• Up
      17th of May, 2010

outback rib racks are done by weight, as a former server and cook and prepper. in fact, i can even remember saying to a manager once years back "hey, this rack only has 7 bones on it, isn't it usually ten?" my manager showed me two racks in the back that were prepped, and yes it was 10 bones on a slimmer rack. if the rack was a bit more spacious, then that accounts for the weight of the missing bones, etc. it says nothing about how many bones are in the rack on the menu (and it does say the amount for other items such as coconut shrimp...there are 6 in an order...by not stating the amount of bones, it means the amount VARIES)
    not defending outback, just letting you know. you did not get ripped off.

and to offgrey...i totally agree. i was eligible for vaca for like 3 years and never got it because when i transfered from one locale to a different one i "sacrificed the amount of time placed into the bank that adds up to vacation." and also, any week you request a day off and dont work 32 hours, that week messes the whole thing up and brings your weekly hourly average down in their books. my manager actually wanted me to get a vaca because he thought i worked hard enough and had earned it due to my hourly average being about 34 hours a week, and was shocked to see that my standing in the company's eyes was 24 hours a week. so yes, major [censor], even if you've earned it.
    my outback also never offered a break (unless you were a cook who was also a smoker, then you could go outside to smoke while trash was being taken out), but if you were a front-of-house employee (even if you were on an 11 hour shift), or a cook that didn't smoke, you didn't get a break. there were so many idle threats to call the labor board but i'm pretty sure no one ever called, as well one of the girls who worked there also worked at an ob in cali for awhile and said that they had a breaks system that ended up robbing the servers of at least one if not two table turns, which means a substantial amount of the day's earnings. lesson learned - if you want a break, you have to pay for it, whether in money or your lung capacity.

• Fe
      17th of Dec, 2011

i work at the outback on mayfield rd. lyndhurst store on friday night im at the computer taking payment for my customer and our key for the shift doesnt say excuse me are u finish can i get in here neither nor my fingers are on the compter and she hits quit on the computer in the middle of my transaction so i walk away and go to the second computer yeah i was very upset at the time. after wards she turn it around after i mumble something and tells that i disrespected her i felt that she disrespect me. you lead by example. you have to give in order to recieve. ive learned alot working at outback its my first server job and i have learn to be good at it but our store needs alot of changes.

• Ni
      25th of May, 2013

Just paid $70 for 4 orders, the full rack of ribs were 7, the pork medallions were 5, the seafood mixed grill was 1 bite on fish, half cup of rice, and 2 scallions, 4 shrimp. The only order that was decent as far as proportion was the parmesan pasta with chicken and it was a nice size portion. The bread was placed in a paper bag which was sad and cold since they were too cheap to put in aluminum to retain warmth of bread. Everyone needs to go to their Outback site and complain so the Outback officers know that us as comsumers are not happy with pricing and quantities of what we are getting. Also, the curb side portion of their business you have to make sure that they put everything in the bag that you ordered because I have had to go back twice because I paid for something and it was not in the bag once I got home. Will not be buying anything else from Outback because they are too pricey, careless with orders, and too greedy with the all mighty $ to give us consumers a decent portion of food for their high prices.
    NLS Las Vegas, NV.

• Ri
      3rd of Nov, 2013

We ordered Filets and they are serving Sirloins and trying to pass them off as Filets . The Saint Cloud Fl location is filthy dirty . We got tired of calling the Manager over every time we eat there, so we quit patronizing this location. It actually has some employee attitude issues. Rich W

• Je
      1st of Jan, 2014

Waited two hours before I decided to walk out because other people were being seated before me. Found their seating policy to be very unfair. Again, after waiting for two hours and seeing people come in and being seated within ten minutes, I had enough. Told them my money spends anywhere and I'll never set foot in an Outback again. Especially the one in the North Hills of Pittsburgh.

• Su
      18th of Jan, 2014
    Outback Steakhouse - Poor Service
    Outback Steakhouse
    Queensbury
    New York

Sat. Jan18, 2014, requested a booth for 2. We could see plenty of empty booths, but were told to wait while one was cleaned for
    us. So we waited and waited and waited some more and were ignored. We left without being seated, much less served. We to us.had been looking 83387forward to our meal and were disappointed by the staff's lack of courtesy

26th of Jan, 2014

we went to outback last night with 3 of our friends. First my husband is a vet and we always got a free blooming they told us no more. Then we orderd a rack of ribs and the waiter put the wrong order down . our freinds got there food and we had to waite. It took so long by the time we finaly got we told them to pack it up to go. I really think we should of not had to pay but they made us pay . Don, t know if I ever go back this was in Mobile Ala

8th of Mar, 2015

They changed the type of pasta in the mac a roony and cheese I hate the restaurant now!it was my fav resteraunt but not anymore!

• Mi
      9th of May, 2015

Ordered at Outback curbside take away the other day - ordered a 12 oz sirloin steak as part of the order, and paid the extra $2-$3 for it. Just out of curiosity, and wondering if this restaurant was being honest w/me, I weighed the steak on my digital kitchen-postal meter when I got home. Guess what the scale read?? IT READ exactly 8.9 oz !! How can a steak lose 3 oz from cooking ? That's the equivalent weight of a s. s. knife ! I ate part of the steak, then measured and weighed it when the weight/size was reduced to approx. 2.3 oz -- (a bit less than the wt. of the steak that was "missing") -- the piece measured about 2.5"x 2.5". Are all restaurants cheating customers on the size/weight of steak, or is it just this Outback that I went to -- I ordered a 9 oz steak on a prev. visit, about 2 wks earlier, and remember it looked about the same size as this ("12 oz") steak. I took pictures of the steak on the scale. Anybody else know of this kind of problem ? I don't know if I can trust them at this restaurant anymore. Also, the steak didn't measure up in taste or tenderness this time. . . was much tastier and tender the last time. This was in Virginia Beach. Do we need to weigh our own steaks now to be sure restaurant is being honest ??

• On
      2nd of Jun, 2015

DON'T GO TO THE WOODBRIDGE, VA OUTBACK. This place has disgusting food and the service is horrible. The Managers are a waste of time. I have been going there since they opened. Last night was it. Will not be going back there. First there was a least 50 empty booths and tables open.(No shock there). They sat us at a table that had just been wiped down and was all wet. Now we have wet bottoms and the host could care less.Ordered the Bloomin Onion . Onion had never been peeled of the skin only on the outside. So when you chew it you have to spit out the skin. (Disgusting). Happens there all the time. Order a outback special which the price has gone up again. House salad with honey mustard dressing. Salad came out with no salad dressing .Waiter had to get dressing. When I put the salad dressing on the salad and tasted the salad it was disgusting. Had to spit it out. Don't know what made it taste like that. Something dripped on the lettuce or my fork had cleaning solution left on it. Told waiter I needed a manager. Set that skinny blond hair that has a attitude a mile long. She is right and everyone else is wrong. Told her about the onion, have told this useless about 5 times before they do not get the skin off the onion and about the taste of the salad. She claimed that there is nothing wrong with the salad. Some of the lettuce was turning brown which I have to pick thru it every time I'm there but has never tasted like that. It is made fresh everyday. Might be made fresh but with rotten lettuce. Couldn't say much about the onion the skin was on the plate. Oh well paid for our drinks and left.
    Done with that place and the rude manager. THEY WILL NOT GET ANYMORE OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY. I HOPE THEY ALL GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

• Kr
      8th of Jun, 2015

I don't know if they changed the price in the original OPs complaint, but I just ordered from Outback tonight and for a whole rack of ribs it was $18.99. When I got home and opened the container I was like, wait, what? OP is correct. Order from ANY other rib place or order ribs from ANY other restaurant in general and a full rack of ribs is not a half rack of ribs. Not sure who the hell these people are trying to fool, but where I come from, that's called cheating - not fair to consumers by any means, especially for $18.99. I mean they offer a half rack too! How many ribs is that 3? LOL. If you want good ribs (and an actual whole rack) check out LongHorn. I really like the flavor, its pretty good meat (non-liver flavor) and they get done how you want them to be done! Full rack is $20 I think, but you get something like 16-20 ribs lol.

• Ms
      19th of Jun, 2016

My wife and I rarely eat out so one night we decided to go to the Outback in D'Iberville, Ms. She ordered a Rib Eye w/baked sweet potato and i ordered Filet Mignon w/baked potato. When the order arrived, mine was cooked as requested but my wife's was barely cooked at all so the waitress took it back and i guess they cooked it some more. Meanwhile I am eating my meal so it doesn't get cold and my wife is waiting for them to get her steak right. When her steak finally came back it was not cooked as ordered but enough that she would eat it and it was do thin you could almost see through it. Then she got to her baked Sweet Potato and was in total horror. They always serve very large potato's and split them open when served. This one was very large and at the end about 1/3 of it was absolutely rotten. It was really obvious. The server offered to get another but by then my wife really didn't have an appetite for anything. The server offered no recompense so we just angrily got up and got out. Hell will freeze over before we enter that establishment again. I don't know where they store their potato's but this one looked like some rat had been sampling it. We are totally repulsed by the whole incident and did not contact anyone. Just don't want to have any more to do with a place that can serve that kind of food with a straight face and expect you to eat it. Never again. The food was not fit for an animal to eat and the server just took it in stride like this happens all the time. Bye, Bye.

15th of Aug, 2018
    Outback Steakhouse - Food was horrible customer service was horrible
    Memphis
    Tennessee

The customer service was horrible the server was not accurate at all he had me and my guest waiting on hot bread for like 25 min or so the lobster tell was not grilled properly this was the worst experience I ever had at outback in the 3 years I have been eating there my birthday dinner was just upsetting

• Ou
      20th of Aug, 2018
    Outback Steakhouse - Product {12 ounces of fat}
    Jacksonville Beach
    Florida

We were served 12 ounces of pure fat, 1 picture says 1, 000 words. Charged for the dinner that was terrible at the Jacksonville Beach, Fl. location.

• Pa
      20th of Aug, 2018
    Outback Steakhouse - Bread
    Wesley Chapel
    Florida

We ate at Wesley chapel outback last night and they were out of bread. They didn't offer us anything to compensate - just said they ran out. We were there at 6:30 pm. The bread is one of the reasons we go to outback. We very very disappointed.