Optimum Online / poor customer service

Tonight was the second time this week that I had to contact the customer service department of the Long Island cable company, Cablevision. I am so very tired of having to wait for the next representative...tonight it was 19 minutes. The other evening it was 29 minutes. Both times, I was helped by one department, but then had to wait again to speak with someone else in another department to solve my second problem. After waiting some time, I finally gave up and hung up; which is probably what they want you to do! I do not understand why they cannot hire more people. Certainly, they charge enough for their service. Last month I paid $205. for the month. I am so disgusted with their customer service procedures that I am very tempted to leave and go to Verizon! Doesn't the customer have any importance anymore? I would never deal with people the way this big conglomerate does. It's disgraceful!

Va

Comments

18th of Oct, 2008

This company sucks! The only reason they make so much money is there is a sucker born every minute, and if they sign up enough dopes who don't know any better, or who won't cancel if something goes wrong, they don't give a ###ing ### if you call up and complain about the lousy service and billing fraud! It's almost impossible to work through their complicated phone menu to get someone to listen to your complaint. If you do get a live person, they say that's not their department, so they say they will connect you to someone who will help, but all you get is unlimited cheesy music until you get so pissed off you hang up.

• Fu
      8th of Jul, 2009

I am so mad at this company I am spitting nails. After my husbands company decided to stop paying for his telephone charges (he works from home and accrues high phone bills) we choose to try a VOIP. However, our DSL line is not fast enough to support the usage he needs and decided to switch to Optimum. I called and explained to customer service that we were interested in swithcing and we needed someone to come and run a line from the main connection to where our computer resides - they then scheduled an appt. However, upon arrival the tech informed us that they do NOT run lines anymore (why didn't the person from cablvision tell me that???), however, they tested the line coming in to the house and realized it was not working and that they needed a bucket truck to correct that problem at the tap. So we went ahead and ran a new line, and I called to reschedule and explained that a bucket truck was also required as per the previous tech. Again, I take off from work and the tech shows up at 9 am with NO bucket truck and says that there is a problem with the line and a bucket truck is necessary. He proceeds to call someone else to come with a bucket truck and 2 hrs later, someone else shows up with NO bucket truck. Looks at the situation and says we need a bucket truck and they have no access to one. It is now 11:30, I have 2 techs here and still cannot get the internet hooked up. They call in a request for a bucket truck, explain that IF the bucket truck shows up taht day the tech will come back before 7 pm to finish job. At 12:10 pm I run out to a lunch appt previously scheduled just as the bucket truck shows up. I explain to the guy that Ihave a prev appt and I will return around 1:30 pm - assumed he didn't need me home. He agrees and states he will notify tech that I will not be back till 1:30 so he doesn't show up earlier. But guess what ??? I arrive home to a message that the tech showed up at 1:07 pm and no one was there so I would need to reschedule. I called Cablevision, explained situation and she said she would call tech to see if he could come back as they are out working till 8pm. Mind you, during our 2 1/2 hr "visit" with tech earlier as we were making "small talk" he told me he only had 4 calls that day ... kind of a slow day. So I figured I was good to go. Needless to say, I get a call back from Cablevision saying tech could not come back out so I would need to recschedule. After I express my frustration, she says ... "well, you have to understand, he was out there twice already today"!!! As if that was MY problem. Perhaps if Cablevision LISTENED to the customers when schduleing, crap like this wouldn't happen! Now I will have to take a THIRD day off from work to stay home just in an attempt to get internet hookup. And they are surprised that I dont want to change over my phone & tv to their service! Go Figure. Also, could this be why companies go under ?? ... cannot imagine how much it cost to have 5 techs (hopefully it will only be 5 IF everything goes ok on next appt) scheduled to hook up one SIMPLE internet service ... Unfortunately they got me between a rock and a hard place. Nobody else offers this service in the area and the telephone line is sooooooooo slow I might as well not have internet service! I really really really hope once I have it its worth it!

• Ha
      19th of Jul, 2009

You MUST deal with service companies in writing. Do NOT rely on phone calls or email.
    Yes, on paper, sent via USPS, UPS, FedEx, or your favorite flavor.

You MUST deal with service companies in WRITING.

Follow EACH phone conversation with a snail-mail summary of your conversation to the place you send your bills. Include your name, address, and account number.

If you continue to be defrauded by service companies file a FORMAL complaint with the "Public Utilities Commission"

...

remember you CAN also sue them in small claims court. In most jurisdictions the filing fee is about $60. WHEN you win your case you will recoup this investment.

• Al
      27th of Sep, 2013

Just came back from vacation at the shore in ct.
    The house had ATT dvr and cable service. It was great.Easy to navigate and most impressive...the fastforward worked excellent. Very sensitive and stopped where you wanted it, unlike optimum which is very frustrating to use. I swear they've gone backward in technology. We liked our old boxes better.

• Vi
      9th of Mar, 2018

Optimum is taking advantage of the public. If you have their services and move or cancel your cable, phone, internet services one day into your billing period they charge you for the entire month even though you are not going to continue to use the services. They will not pro-rate your services so you only pay for what you use. This is the only company who will not pro-rate. How are they getting away with this rip off. The attorney General should be made aware of this scam. Do not use Optimum please pick another carrier.