Navy Federal Credit Union / fraud

United States Review updated:

I have been a member with NFCU for quite sometime now. 6 or more years to be exact. I have a checking and saving account. My brother is an authorized user of the account. He went into the branch to apply for a loan. He was advised that he needed a co-signer. He then applies online. He used my information: name, and access number I believe. Well, NFCU stated once more he needed a co-signer to get approved. Anyhow, they sent the promisary note via mail for me to sign. Needless, to say the note was never signe but NFCU processed the loan anyhow. Mind you this took place Aug. of last year. Well a year later, two weeks ago to be exact I go to cash my check. The rep. states that she is not capable of cashing my check because I have a loan in default. I state that I do not have a loan. I go into the branch to talk it over with a member service rep. She calls collections (i believe) and they state that the promisary note was never signed but they processed the loan application anyhow. Since our accounts are linked together, and I'm a co-signer then I have to make a payment. Well I tell them that I was not aware of this loan and if my signature was not present how were they able to promise the loan. So I signed an affidavit and my file was placed under fraud investigation. My check was deposited into my checking acct and NFCU transferred my money to the delinquent account. Moving forward, I spoke with several different reps/supervisors and no one can refund my money until the investigation has been closed. WOW! NFCU has strict guidelines to follow. I can't seem to understand how they take extreme precaution to ensure identity theft is not committed but these same guidelines do not apply to their reps. How is NFCU able to process a loan that needs a co-signer without their consent. My signature was not on the loan and regardless if our checking account is tied together, no signature qualifes as no drafting of my funds. I'm burnt out physically and emotionally because they (NFCU) took it upon them selves to process a loan application without my consent. Now I have to fight back and forth with collections, fraud, and the banking center to have my funds replinished. How can you all post a site stating your mission, commitment and so forth when they do not live up to their own standards. I am willing to contact an an attorney to get my money back. No one has appolized or owned up to their mistake. I'm willing to stay calm if someone would atleast say: Ma'am we dropped the ball and we are willing to do any and everything in our power to resolve this issue. I am out of my money, they refuse to put it back in my account until fraud closes the investigation. I have worked for customer service and collections with numerous of companies. My complaint is NFCU refuses to replish my funds and take ownership. They want me to file a police report (in which I don't mind) against my brother but the issues still remains. NFCU processed a loan with out the necessary paper work. They have committed fraud just as well as my sibling. But in their eyes, it's company policy to process that individual and not them because they have done no harm. WE ARE ALL HUMAN THEREFORE HUMAN ERROR DOES TAKE PLACE. If only they could see themselves in fault and take ownership. I'm still fighting to have the outcome result in my favor. I'm not asking for them to bend the rules. I'm asking for them to be honest with themselves and correct the manner in which they created. I guess I am just another whinning customer who does not take responsibility for their own actions. Moving forward I will no longer do business with this credit union. They are cruel and heartless. I wish I could go into their bank accounts and withdraw money because I felt like it. If only they could see the wrong in which they have done. But yet again, that's like asking Jeffery Dahmer, did he mean to eat those humans???!!! *sigh*

Qa

Comments

• Al
      Oct 01, 2010

I agree with you! We had a similar experience with NFCU and they are rude, unprofessional and in my opinion, there is wide spread fraudulent activity going on!! I think the whole place needs a 'shake up' and workers from the top down need to be replaced. Their reputation is already so damaged. It is my opinion, they will fail, go down financially, right along with their poor reputation!

• Ny
      Oct 24, 2010

I am surprised by all of these comments being made about NFCU. I have had my own problems with them but, I’m still surprised to see this many comments. I never guessed that there would be so many disgruntled people out there willing to write about their negative experiences.

NFCU has essentially terrorized me over the last two years (including while in bankruptcy). Frankly, nobody deserves to be treated like some of us have been treated. While I take full responsibility for not completely fulfilling my obligations, I've paid off multiple loans and paid thousands of dollars in interest to NFCU. Nothing justifies treating anyone the way that I have been treated. When my financial "crash" came I made it a point to call NFCU twice a week for more than a year prior to filing bankruptcy. I mostly called them so that they wouldn't keep calling my family members and harassing my neighbors.

One evening last year, at 9:30PM, NFCU sent a “door knocker” to my home. I’ve since learned that a “door knocker” is a collection industry term used for a contractor who places door tags onto the handle of your front door. These tags typically say that they want to speak to someone in the household. The “door knocker” pounded and kicked on my door so hard that, for a minute, I thought that it was a home invasion (I still have the dents on my door). I think that he kicked my door because the dents in my door are on the lower portion of my door. I was able to talk to the “door knocker” through the front door. He stated that he was working for NFCU and that I needed to call them. I told him that I had just talked to NFCU the previous day and that I was going to complain about his pounding on my door. He basically told me that nothing would happen to him and that he would not get in trouble because he was just “following orders” given to him by NFCU. I told him not to return to my home again and that I was going to call the police. He then ran to his car and drove away. While I was not able to get his license plates, I did call the Fairfax County police and gave a description of the "door knocker" and what had happened. They indicated that they would make a report and for me to call earlier next time so that they would have a chance to question that person at my home.

It was this incident that, not only scared the heck out of me but, caused me to realize what was actually going on. I had noticed that although I had been calling NFCU twice a week for 6 months or so prior to this incident, NFCU was still calling my neighbors and my family to harass me. They repeatedly called my in-laws, siblings and mother. I’m sure that they called others because most people would not probably want to add to my own embarrassment by telling me about their NFCU calls. At the time, I felt humiliated and too embarrassed to do anything about this harassment. I was (and still am) trying to focus my energy on getting a job. I did write the Chairman of NFCU to complain and explain my situation. My letter to the Chairman basically apologized for hurting the members of NFCU for not meeting my obligations and (most importantly) to ask NFCU to stop using illegal collection techniques to bully and harass me. I even wrote that I thought NFCU would collect more if they followed the law.

At this point, I have had it! I have gotten to the point where I actually feel ashamed for not standing up to them earlier. I've caused my family a tremendous amount of pain due to my economic situation as it was and is. It wasn’t right for my family to have to experience the unbelievable behavior associated with NFCU’s collection activities. All of my creditors had essentially cooperated with my financial situation except NFCU. NFCU is the reason that I filed bankruptcy in the first place! I didn’t have any money to pay anyone anyway! During bankruptcy, I had to submit to a deposition requested by NFCU (more NFCU harassment!). During the deposition the lawyer from NFCU kept asking me about my disabled daughter. That was unbelievable! I had essentially given up my ability to get a security clearance by filing bankruptcy and I was still being subjected to the wrath of NFCU.

At this point, My home is being foreclosed on (finally), I am broke, I have no job, I've got a disabled daughter who has substantial medical needs (she’s still wonderful and I wouldn’t trade her for all of the money in the world!), a wife and a son to take care of (they are also awesome!).These realities are NOT NFCU's fault but, I now have nothing to lose and perhaps I have learned a valuable lesson about how to appreciate what I do have (an awesome family and the sun coming up in the morningļŠ). I’ve also learned that one should never run away from “BULLIES AND THUGS! The pain and shame only get worse!

I've decided to remove myself from bankruptcy (I should never have filed in the first place!) and take NFCU to court to try to keep them from harassing others like they have harassed me. It's the least I can do for my own health and to give back to those who may suffer in the future. I'll spend half my day looking for a job and the other half dealing with NFCU in the courts. I will probably lose, but I will do a more honorable job of getting my point across and at the end of the day it’s the right thing to do.

My story is true and I'll put my hand on the bible to swear that it is (just like I will in a courtroom soon enough). I’ve got a bunch of faxes, letters (some certified) and all sorts of notes related to phone calls that will help substantiate the immoral behavior and treatment I received from NFCU. I ask that anyone who has a truthful story that they are willing to share about their experiences with NFCU to please contact me at [protected]@gmail.com. You don’t have to talk to me if you don’t want to. You can just share your story in writing anonymously. I realize how embarrassing these issues are to communicate and I don’t think there is anything wrong with keeping them private. Some of you may feel better by just communicating your thoughts to me (kind of like writing a letter when you’re angry and then ripping it up when you are finished). I promise that I will not share your emails or our conversations unless you want me to.

And to anyone out there who works for this group of "GANSTERS” and or agrees with the behavior that NFCU has used to bully me and others", I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT! Thank you for your time and gob bless. Nyquil762 otherwise known as at Mark in Virginia. I’ll publish my full name after the lawsuit is filed.

• Pe
      Apr 16, 2015

Navy Federal did much like this to me too ... In my case, I called to inquire about loan rates to determine if I would benefit from transferring a higher interest rate credit card balance to a loan. They took all my information and said that my information would have to be reviewed to determine my rate. I was assured that I would have an opportunity to refuse the transfer. I called to check on the rate and found it to be higher than my cards!!! I naturally had NO DESIRE to make that move. I received the paperwork but never signed or returned it. The next month, reviewing my accounts I found they went ahead with the unfavorable transfer without my signature or consent! Iimmediately went into action, happy that I caught it fairly quickly and was promised it was fixed. The next month I found that it was NOT... I had to make repeated calls to work on this and as time passed the remedy became more and more complicated. Getting management involved, it eventually was fixed very fairly - but HOW such a thing could occur needs investigated! How many people have been harmed by this practice. I am frustrated again today because I have received mailed and emailed offers for 0% balance transfers and when selecting the transfer option - I only find that I can transfer with my current cash advance rate! (Heaven knows what that is!!!)... I wonder how many people foolishly go ahead with the transfer without reviewing the fine print. This is sick... isn't this the credit union that above all should be serving its customers well? I have may great easy loan transactions for vehicles and second mortgage - and have been very happy - but this past year with Navy Federal has been unnerving... has NFCU gotten predatory or what??? Proceed with caution and watch your accounts! April 2015.