Nationwide Insurance / not on my side

1 Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:

I was rear ended by a hit and run driver. Since I carry uninsured motorist, my insurance company, Nationwide, became the responsible party to me. I'll streamline the story, but if you read no further FIRE NATIONWIDE they are crooks! After taking 19 days to make a decision regarding my car (repair vs. total) they offered my $15k for a fully loaded 2005 Prius (with car pool stickers) that has under 30k miles and is still under warranty. This is $8k below the dealer trade in value!!! This car sells for $32k (if you can even find one...)

I interviewed several repair shops and was told repeatedly that Nationwide is the absolute worst when it comes to repairs - they insist on used or after-market parts and routinely intimidate repair shops into doing sub-standard work!!

I also found out that Farmers allow for a $5000 premium on Prius' with the HOV stickers - Nationwide won't even acknowledge that there is market value associated with the stickers. (documented by many news stories including the Wall Street Journal, and quoted from KBB and other car resources) When Nationwide says "Fair Market Value" they really mean "sucker, we got you."

Additionally they do not acknowledge diminished value (reduced value of a car in an accident) I might understand them telling me it is not covered under my policy, but to disavow any knowledge of these subjects what-so-ever is certainly not negotiating in good faith.

They also refused to extend my rental car beyond a few days even though they took 19 days to make a decision!!!

This company has taken every opportunity to nickel and dime me, consistently negotiated in bad faith, stalled and hedged and insisted on sub-standard repairs.

Nationwide is NOT ON YOUR SIDE!!!

Comments

7th of Oct, 2008

I kow what you mean. We all should fail a class action.The adjusters are BULLIES, THREATENING, an TREAT YOU INHUMAN.This could be life threatening to your health.My complaint is serious too.NATIONWIDE is not only on your side, but not on anyones side.They should be investiged, and interrogated too like they do inicent cunsumers.

• To
      22nd of Feb, 2009

Yeah, it's always the insurance companies that are the bad guys!...

I was curious about your claim as to the value of your car so I went online to see what a 2005 Prius resale value was...on Autocar I found 3 for sale. The listed prices were $10, 200 and $11, 000 and $15, 000.

I know that this is unscientific but it does give some measure of reesale value...

But of course, the author of this complaint probably wouldn't be satisfied unless Nationwide offered him $32, 000...

• Kc
      14th of Apr, 2009

that is what insurance is for.

• Ri
      23rd of Jul, 2009

Yes tommyc, a Prius can be had for less than 10k, however at the time of my accident, gas was at an all time high, and in the Los Angeles market a fully loaded (with bluetooth and NAV) Prius with under 30k miles (still under warranty) that had CA carpool stickers was averaging 32k. The highest valuation I found was 38k. I printed out all the available cars that matched my car exactly from four different sources (Autotrader, Cars.com, LA Times and Recycler) knowing I'd need hard evidence to prove my case if it came to that. The dealer trade-in value was listed by multiple sources as 21 - 23k, I have those sources as hard copy as well. Send me your email address, I'm happy to send you PDF's.

So doing a search for any old cheap Prius many months later in a different car market doesn't add up to apples and apples. It's called intellectual honesty. Try it sometime.

Have you thought about getting a job with a health insurance company? Seems you have the qualifications to excel.

• Mo
      31st of Aug, 2009

Why do they continue to get away with this!!! My son was rear-ended on July 10th, by one of their customers. Nationwide has screwed up ever since my son first contacted them. He was told an adjuster would be sent out right away, that never happened. Then he was told to bring his car to a body shop, and gave him the choice of two. He was also told where to go to get a rental car. When he brought his car to be repaired, he told the staff that he car has been making funny noise since the accident, and was also leaking fluids. After the body work was done on his car, he was called to pick the car up, and told to turn the rental back in. When he picked his car up and asked the body shop about the noises the car made, he was told that they only do body work, and that they had no experienced mechanics on board, and he would have to contact the ins. co. and file a separate claim. This is a long story, but it ends up, Nationwide was told by a Ford dealership that the car had bent front controlleing arms, and Nationwide said that there is no way that was accident related, and refuse to pay to get the controlling arms fixed. So I am filing a complaint with their complaint dept. and I am calling a Denver radio show that does trouble shooting, and see what can be done. I have nothing good to say about Nationwide. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!!! They aren't just crooks, they are complete idiots!!!

• Mo
      31st of Aug, 2009

I have a bad attitude! Cos I am angry with Nationwide

• Mi
      1st of Dec, 2009

Okay..so my Durrango has been at the adjusters for 14 days. I have called, and emailed the Nationwide rep I was given after the accident. Not one reply, not one call back!! This is my only car and I have no rental car coverage on my plan. So how do you light a fire under the insurance reps ###, so I can find out if I am going to have to get a new car, or wait for mine to be repaired?? I need some answers!! Any suggestions as to where I should start?

• Th
      31st of Mar, 2011

This is just stupid...you don't use trade-in value for estimating your vehicle's insurable value, it's the blue book...always has been. Like Tommyc, I checked for the blue book value (Try NADA for a valuation, not autotrader, etc) and came out even lower than his estimates. Granted. it's been two years, but even so, I highly doubt that there was ever a $32k blue book or anything even close on this car.

Another case of self-entitlement run amok - if you want to cover the vehicle for MARKET value, then get GAP coverage.

• Pp
      17th of Jun, 2011

a prius worth much????? LOL! blue book value is right Thomas W3. if mister cardran was so concerned with his car thinking it was a bentley then do what i do its called gap insurance! a one time fee of $300 bucks! according to the blue book is what everyone would pay! i guess yours has a special nuclear powered engine though. maybe next time buy an american car with good old fashioned internal combustion motor and you wouldn't have to total it! tree hugger BLAH!

• Pp
      17th of Jun, 2011

michelle_ L i dont know anyone who would not get rental its like $19.00 every six on your policy!