National Recovery Agency / unauthorized charges

National Recovery filed an erroneous $98.00 charge on my credit report for West Bay Aquisitions which I have never heard of or done business with. I have seen others on this iste with the same complaint. They offer no phone number or fax for contact.

Ma

Comments

• Ve
      12th of Mar, 2009

I have had a similar experience with National Recovery Agency... The original bill had been paid in this case to their client and in spite of being sent confirmation of that fact they have continued to attempt collection and may have also by this point placed a derogatory mark on my credit report.

18th of Mar, 2009

I have recently received a call from them regarding an account that was paid out three years ago while I was deployed. I got the letter two days ago and a call tonight (Mar 19, 09). So that tells me something fisshy is going on. What made this worse was that the person I spoke to answered, 'My name is blah blah, can I help you?" I said, "You called me." She asked my name and said they were trying to collect a debt from 2004. I told her that it was paid in 2005 while I was deployed and she said there is no record. I told her that makes sense...it was four years ago. This is some [censored]' if I ever heard any. Since this 'alleged debt' I've bought a Chrysler 300 and a Cadillac Escalade...with payments of approximately $1000 combined within the last 8 months. My credit had to be pulled and when the dealer showed it to me, there was nothing about this company on my credit report, nor did I have anything else negative listed.

This is a [censored] A$$ collection agency.

18th of Mar, 2009

It's sad that this is how we have to let people know that companies are full of crap.

• Ti
      4th of Apr, 2009

Write to your attorney general's office and the Federal Trade Commission...they did this to me too. We need to file complaints so a class-action lawsuit can be started.

• Sh
      27th of May, 2009

These people are trying to screw with me too, after doing some research about them and their affiliate capital assistance group I am starting to get worried. these people are a bunch of frickin scam artists guaranteed

• Su
      2nd of Jun, 2009

I'm a former National Recovery Agency employee.

West Bay Aquisitions is a parent of BMG Music. If you ever signed up for one of their "buy one get 10 free" offers, you signed up with West Bay. You also obligated yourself to a contract. So unless you fulfilled the contract (to purchase a certain amount of product), you are legally obligated to pay the balance due.

If you have an account with NRA, you have the right to dispute the debt. BUT it has to be in writing, and you only have 30 days to do it. That's the law, and I know for a fact that NRA follows it to the letter. If you ever received a letter (and you should have) and you did not respond...guess what...you screwed yourself. Ignoring it basically says the debt is yours and NRA (or any other collection agency) has the right to attempt collection.

Newsflash: DEBT DOES NOT GO AWAY!! If any of you crybabies ever in your wild youth signed up for something like this, guess what...NRA has every legal right to call you until the debt is paid or until you die (in which case they can collect from your estate). It doesn't matter if it's 10 days old or 10 years old. They can make collection attempts (within the limits of the FDCPA) and report negatively to the credit bureaus. It's perfectly legal.

Maybe you should all quit your whining and think about this...a bit reason our national economy is so bad is because of deadbeats who think they have the right to get something for nothing. I know how many piddly little $50 accounts NRA has. If even a tenth of these small accounts - just the small ones - were paid, it would give our economy a HUGE jumpstart.

So write your little hearts out to the FTC...from what I see here - and we are trained EXTENSIVELY on the law - you'll probably just get laughed at.

• Io
      8th of Jun, 2009

to suzydebtcollector, HAHAH, are you sure it stays for 10 years. I personally want to see you make that one stick. After 7 years it's off your credit report, and if you send the correct letter and keep accurate records, GUESS WHAT YOU"LL BE PAYING LAW SUIT SETTLEMENT.

Good luck with your illegal practices.

• Un
      26th of Jun, 2009

Actually, Suzydebtcollector is correct. Although they tell you it comes of in 7years that's not always the case. I use to work for a collections group(not NRA) and there are a lot of people who rack up debt(and especially for friviolous items) and don't think or want to pay it. The thing is nothings free and people need to read the fine print with the companies they sign contracts with. It's not the collection company that sent it to you charging you hidden fees. They are a business like any other and while as annoying they can sometimes be they do pump lots of money back into the economy by collecting unpaid debt. And, people please stop assuming you can sue people whenever something doesn't feel fair or angers you because guess what? I'ts called Life. Get over it, grow up and pay your bills like the grown-up you all should be behaving and stop creating more debt for yourselves if its a situation you don't have the side money to pay a bill. The reason the economy is the way it is is because of so many Americans living beyond their means. Make a lot of money. Good. Save it and rethink about purchasing that brand new luxury car or the vacation to Greece. Pay your bills first people. Come on its common sense.

Peace.

• Gr
      12th of Aug, 2009

Over 20 years ago, I was unable to repay a student loan. I suffered for over 7 years as a result of my delinquincy. Slowly I was able to reclaim an excellent credit rating. Last month it was 787, this month, because of erroneous reporting by NRA, my credit rating is 696. They reported this account as being opended in 5/2009 & reported it delinquent in July '09. I paid my dues twenty years ago and am in disbelief that I once again I have to suffer. It is not fair that this company can erroneuously report incorrect information. Furthermore, I have never spoken to anyone with this company. It all came out of the blue because I subscribe to creditreport.com., & was notified by them of negative info. NRA also noted that this will stay on my record until 10/2013.
    I am disgusted by this double jeopardy.

• Bh
      28th of Aug, 2009

About 5 years ago I went in to see my doc. After going I was told things look good for now so come back in 6 mouths. I had medicare and United Healthcare. At that time I was paying out about 350 mouth for U, H. for family. Well I got a letter from U.H. that the Doc. office I was going to had found that they were resubmitting bills that had been paid and some were sent in on my account. Well sure thing I got a bill about 14 mouths after the last time I had seen that doc. so I call that collection agency ask them to send me a copy of the bill and they told me I needed to get a copy from Medicare and United Healthcare .Well I did not know these people so I called both and was told by both that had been paid! they told me to tell them that; and to resentment the bill if they didn`t know for sure but if it had been paid and they were told it had been paid it would be consider Fraud so I called them they replied no problem it would be taken care of. Well all they did was waited till the end of the year and sold it to another agency and it just keeps going. Maybe if these agency's would get charged with fraud then maybe some of this crap would go away. Lock And Load and have a great day !

• La

SuzyDebtCollector is a LIAR
    Nations Recovery is a KNOWN FDCPA VIOLATOR - they are so bad they even have their staff dress up as POLICE in full fake uniform, and LOADED WEAPONS!

One was arrested outside of their offices in Doraville, GA

A debt collector who works for the company below has been arrested for Impersonating a Police Officer. His uniform was very real featuring fake badges, REAL LOADED FIREARMS, REAL Fulton County Police patches, fake Fulton County police ID and handcuffs.

The badges themselves state “Sgt. Detective”, “NRC Unit”, “POLICE”. NRC Unit … short for Nations Recovery Center …

Nations Recovery Center Inc 6491 Peachtree Industrial Blvd Doraville, GA 30360 770-234-0383

CEO claims “I had no idea” but he was arrested in full fake “uniform” outside the office …. And the stinking badge said “NRC”!!! And don’t tell me he didn’t make personal visits to those within reasonable driving distance making threats of arrest to collect money.

Credit Collector Accused Of Posing As Police Officer

DORAVILLE, Ga. -- A credit collector has been charged with impersonating a Fulton County police officer. Real officers arrested 39-year-old Joseph Jackson at his workplace in Doraville. Police said Jackson was wearing an officer’s uniform, complete with a fake badge, patches and a firearm.

Jackson works as a trainer at National Recovery Center, a debt collection agency. The CEO of the company told Channel 2 he was shocked by Jackson’s arrest.

VIDEO: Credit Collector Accused Of Impersonating Police Officer

Police said they are investigating to see if Jackson used the uniform to act out in a law enforcement manner.

“They received a tip Joseph Jackson was impersonating a police officer at that location, ” said Lt. Reese Williams with the Doraville Police Department.

Jackson isn’t a real police officer, but investigators said he dressed the part very convincingly. When police caught up with him outside his workplace, he was wearing a full uniform complete with Fulton County patches on it and a gun belt, handcuffs and one of two handguns that police seized.

SLIDESHOW: Items Obtained From Suspected 'Fake Cop'

“When he was confronted about working for the Fulton County Police Department, he did produce a Fulton County police ID, which was fake because the Fulton County police officer we had with us there said it was fake, ” said Williams.

Jackson also had a badge with the initials NCR, or National Recovery Center Unit, said police. But the CEO of the company said Jackson had no law enforcement role at National Recovery Center.

“He finally admitted he did not work for the Fulton County Police Department and that’s when he was arrested, ” said Williams. Police said they asked Jackson why he was dressed as a cop. “He said to us, he’s always wanted to be a police officer, ” said Williams.

Doraville police said Jackson had the proper permits to carry weapons.

He faces felony charges for impersonating a police officer and fraudulent identification.

• La
      28th of Aug, 2009

SuzyDebtCollector is a LIAR ! 10 YEARS IS PURE BS!

There is a Statute of limitations on debt - it based on state law and is completely seperate from how long a default stays on your credit report which is 7 years.

Once a debt passes the Statute of Limitations for YOUR STATE, it is no longer legally collectable (you cannot be sued) They will still try and collect it, but they have no LEGAL right to collect it, and you are not legally obligated to pay it.

GOOD NEWS IS THE FTC AND STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS ARE CLOSING DOWN FDCPA VIOLATORS, OVERTURNING ILLEGALLY OBTAINED DEFAULT JUDGEMENTS
    CLOSING LOOPHOLES IN THE FDCPA.

• Gb
      3rd of Sep, 2009

Susiedebtcollector HAS provided two pieces of useful information. That the National Recovery Agency works for / with West Bay Acquisitions, which is a parent of BMG Music.

Now, in my opinion (you have to put it that way to protect yourself), BMG Music preys on teenagers and some gullible adults who should know better but likely never grew up.

Now, I'm no lawyer, but I BELIEVE that if you fell for the BMG Music scam BEFORE you were 18, THEY HAVE TO BACK OFF - because a minor is not legally able to enter into that kind of contract.

FACT: BMG snagged one of my children and tried to collect when the kid didn't have the money to complete the contract. I simply called them up and told them they were trying to collect from a minor and that I would take them to court if they didn't stop. Their representative apologized and all efforts to enforce their predatory contract stopped.

As for the National Recovery Agency - IN MY OPINION the very NAME is a devious ploy. Clearly, it would seem, they are trying to capitalize on the National Rifle Association's name recognition - by using "NRA" on their caller ID and in their greeting.

NOW, again, In My Opinion: One thing to remember if you find you have picked up a call from a collection agency. Some of these folks think they are above the law and won't hesitate to edit their recording of your phone conversation to make it look like you affirmed a debt. So NEVER say "yes" or "no" - always answer a question WITH a question, and tell them to send you documented PROOF of any debt they are trying to collect. (Q: is this Joe Blow?" -A: "Who wants to know" - A: "The
    NRA " - Q: "What do the letters mean" - A: "I'm not at liberty to say" - Response: "Then I refuse to talk to someone wearing a mask! [Click]). If they fully identify themselves (any LEGITIMATE agency WILL, including address and phone number, and name or ID number of agent placing the call) and ask for your name, address, or phone number, tell them that if they were legitimate they would already HAVE that information, tell them to send you proof, and HANG UP. Do NOT let them entrap you or trick you into saying something they can edit to make it LOOK like you admitted a debt. Unless you are ALSO recording the call, you will have no proof that they edited your comments.

(Gabby Jim is a 67 year old former mortgage loan officer and sometime student of this subject)

• Gb
      3rd of Sep, 2009

I stand corrected! Do NOT ask them to send you proof! ! ! (an opinion held over from my days as a loan officer) - - If they continue to bug you, there are attorneys that will fight them in court at no cost to you. Just document everything they do and say, and take your record to one of them.

• 12
      5th of Sep, 2009

As someone who USE to work in collections I can tell you right now that I disagree with the comment that the agency is scamming anyone with by not giving their full name...first I don't think anyone wants people knowing they have debt. Second, people wouldn't take care of their responsibilty of their debt. If collection agencies think "they're above the law" then debtors thinks that "that they can pay their bills whenever they feel like it"...look aside from music debts...there are a lot of debts out there that are going unpaid because people are being deceptive and getting services and not paying for them and then want to turn around and wait for 7yrs to have it fall off...come one people..your all grown adults..you should know what's expected of you aka.pay your bills. Let's just get over that hurdle and pay for our services and products like we should be doing. Collection agencies are annoying but they are neccessary and important because they're a lot of CHEAP, DECEPTIVE, LAZY, FORGETFUL... chil..sorry adults that need a reminder of what's expected of them.

• Fr
      10th of Sep, 2009

123unknown123 - while I agree that if you owe a debt, you are obgliated to pay; I can share with you my experience with NRA. I received my first (and only) pre-collection letter in June of '09 for an amount of $32.00 from a business that I had not purchased or contracted with. I returned the letter requesting validation of the debt within 7 days of reciept of that letter with no repsonse for over 30 days. My credit report took a 120 point hit. I called to question the response that I never received, and Dudley King, Acct's Manager maintained that that letter was mailed in April instead of June. Ive requested proof of debt, serviced received, creditor and collection effort in compliance with the Fair Credit Act and have had no response. Tell me 123 ... or any other debt collector reading this - is this not fraudelent extortion ? It's only $32.00 - if it was my debt, I'd pay - but you know what - the NRA simply has a write-off list purchased for pennies on the dollar and the leverage to post these collections to the credit bureau. In my case - illegal acts have occured. I have no problem taking this to the limit legally - I welcome a class action suit. If I had to go to work with a loaded weapon to avoid getting blasted (as mentioned in the posting above), I would re-think the morality of my career choice.
    What is right to collect is right - what's happened here could make me lack remorse for any bottom feeders' misfortune.

• Gi
      11th of Sep, 2009

i received a call from NRA for the past 3 weeks now and i am still waiting for a letter in writing stating that i owe money.

• Un
      13th of Sep, 2009

Fraud is Fraud-So your saying you when you contacted the agency that they informed you a letter was mailed out in April and you only received the one sent out in June(which means they had your correct address) that this is somehow their fault that you didn't receive your mail. Here's a thought how bout maybe questioning your postal service first?..you know the ones who deliver your mail..and If you question the fact on whether a letter was sent what's to say they can't question you did receive it and like thousands of people out there blew it off to be dealt with later because of the fact "It's only $32.00"...Could it have been even slighlty possible that you received a letter didn't recognize the account and saw the amount was like.."Forget this"...because if you got the letter in June it means the letter you got was a re-sent one to the same address they used prior and the reason it was used because there was no mail return so the possibility that the letter was sent to the wrong address slim. I don't work in collections no longer and not for the work I did but I tired of the constant whining and complaining people did when even they know they owe the debt. And you know what maybe it wasn't a service you ordered but nowindays with money-hungry suing people around aka professional deadbeats they usually are cautious about making any errors but hey they're HUMAN TOO(aka.ur bottomfeeders) and yes have families too, remember to include them as well in your lawsuit you know.. As for you taking that matter to the "limit" I wish you luck since your obviously "one of those people" who throw a tantrum when things..oh gosh..don't go their way...Stupid world can't revolve around your petty fight with a collection agency over $32.00! The audacity! Seriously, pick something better to fight about if you have that much er..time and energy...hmmm..I don't know it can be about Better Health Care..or I know since your so money hun..er um conscious how about the Economy..things that do matter and are important to our country and the rest of society..geez if we had less of your kind of "people" going around throwing around frivilous lawsuits we would have a little better society..welcome to the same club as the woman who sued McDonalds for getting her fat..I hope your real proud of yourself..the fact you like to make a scene out of anything shows you must be a real peach to live with...Peace

P.S. Try some meditation...Voooo-Saaaa! HaHa

• Lu
      20th of Oct, 2009

I was just called on 10/20/09 about a book I bought in 2001 at another address I lived at around 3 yrs ago. I did not order this book but they said I was in credit debt and letters were sent to that address and my new address. This is not true or I would have questioned it. The women on the other end of the phone scared me so much I paid the bill by charge card reluctantly and am now scared they have my number and it is a scam. What should I do? I sent a letter to NRA to get a confirmation. I hope I receive an answer.

• Lu
      20th of Oct, 2009

I am scared, upset, nervous, mad and want help. Let me know what you can do about someone harrasing me for money I don't owe. It's been almost 9 years since they have asked about this money and I paid up all my debts years ago and this never came up. Someone is lying and it's not me.