National Magazine Exchange / sweepstakes ripoff

1 16120 US 19 NORTHClearwater, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-207-8171

I am so happy I took the time to check out this whole "sweepstakes" out before calling them back. I can understand why people would call to enter a sweepstakes. What I don't understand and why anyone would give someone thier credit card number if they did not expect to be charged something, be it 1 dollar or 200 dollars. I know people are fast talkers, but you have to GIVE this information freely in order for them to get it.

I have now been sitting on hold for 20 minutes after calling to have my name removed from thier mailing list and being given a different 1800 number [protected]) and being told to "please stay on hold while I finish with the last caller". I am holding just to see if someone actually gets on the line to take down my information. So far... NOT.

Ca

Comments

• Pi
      29th of Jan, 2009

This happend to me. Have you got it figurd out and cancelled your subscription? If you did, please let me know! at fairie_punk2@yahoo.com or on the site as "pitgrl" thanks!

• Op
      21st of Apr, 2009

A piece of advice -- if I may?

Invest in a quality answering machine (yes, some of us still use them :) And, invest in Caller-ID (if your local area provides it). In four years (and going!) I have never been phone slammed by scammers. I KNOW when one is calling me because they usually show up on my caller-ID as "UNKNOWN CALLER", or even blank! If it's important (a legit call), they will leave a message.

Just for grins one time, I DID take the call (curiousity). Surprisingly, my local carrier's block recognized the call as a Slam and told me "solicited call...disconnecting"!

So, a little education here: demanding they "remove" you from their 'do not call list' is a giant waste of your time. You mentioned they kept you holding for almost 30-minutes? Yah -- they really care, don't they. Stop wasting your time with these vagrants. They are not going away any time soon.

• Ya
      17th of May, 2009

I received the sweepstakes notice, I called the number and gave my so-called I.D.# and gave my phone number.I then immediately stated I do not want to order anything and will not give my personal information over the phone.NOW, what should I expect to experience next other than phone calls ?

22nd of Oct, 2010

I answered out of curiosity, too, because an "unknown" number called me four times a day. I figured it was a wedding caterer, because I've been shopping around for one for my upcoming wedding. I was way off...
    Not sure if it's the same scam, since I didn't catch the business name because the lady talked so fast (not that I believe it's a legit business anyway). She first said that I was in a sweepstakes to win $5, 000 with a grand prize of $100, 000 (yeah right), and next said that I won a diamond quartz watch that they were gonna send for free (they already had my address). I told her I didn't trust her, and she went on to say that they were next going to send me 40 magazines for free, with some additional ones at a small charge that were a great deal. That's when I stopped her and said I don't trust her. She got irritated and said that the company was trustworthy and couldn't still be in business after 29 years if they weren't. I then told her to withdraw me, and she hung up while I was talking. Since it's an "unknown" number I can't call back to curse them out:( Do you guys think they will send me crap anyways??? I did NOT give out any additional info, like credit card numbers or anything, because I'm not an idiot. I'm just concerned, because they did already have information about me.