National Magazine Exchange / failure to cancel subscription

United States Review updated:
When I signed up for the magazines, they told me I had 30 days to change my mind. During this time, they were to send me different magazines to see if I liked their services. On January 21, 2009, I wrote to them and told them that I did not like any of the magazines they were sending, and that they were to cancel my subscription ASAP. I called the next month, when I noticed they had taken out yet
another payment. I told the clerk that I had cancelled the subscription on January 21, 2009, that I did not want any more money coming out of my account. She claimed that they had not received my cancellation, so, I again advised her to cancel the subscription immediately. She said that she was cancelling it at that time, and that I would receive a refund for the last payment. That didn't happen either. Another payment was taken from my account in March. I don't think they are planning to cancel the subscription. Since I have contacted them twice, and twice they told me there were cancelling the subscription, I am wondering what my next step should be.

Please advise me what I should do now.

A  8th of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
For anybody AND everybody that has given out their card numbers trusting that the company is honest and then find them stealing you blind every month or so, here's all you have to do. If you used a credit card, call your card company and specify that you DO NOT want them to pay these people any more. Have them put a PERMANENT block on them so they can no longer charge your card. If you can authorize it, you can UNauthorize it through the card company. As for a debit card, speed is of the essence. If it is a pending transaction, call or get to your bank ASAP and have it blocked. After that it's pretty much the same as for a credit card.
The key to avoiding all this mess in the first place is: 1) don't let greed or desperation get the best of you, 2) read ALL of the letter or document you get including the fine print. These scam guys like making the print hard to read by making it small and either light or close to the background color, 3) never give out your card number without checking them out. You NEED to know who you're dealing with. Use the internet, look them up on the BBB website as well. 4) and finally, use your common sense, "When in doubt, shred it and throw it out". Besides, have you seen the odds of winning? 26 MILLION to ONE. I don't know if that many people are in the US including any illegals. I just hope this helps save someone some extra grief they don't need.
A  25th of Mar, 2010 by
Dear Sirs: I am grateful to you for your complaint messages. I too have recieved a notice from National Magazine Exchange. The phone number that is on the 'enrty' form is 1-800-235-6247 and it has a Clearwater, Florida address. My registered prize enrty number is 320465992 and I have 'won' $1, 100, 000.00. If these numbers are similar to others from your readers, it must be a fraud. I get million dollar offers from many places that are all frauds: Nigeria, Ghana, Hong Kong, England, and Belgium. Most of these fake offers are full of grammatical errors and misspellings. They also try to represent themselves as attorneys of bank officers and even the FBI!! I hope this message helps someone to NOT give in to greed or need and get caught up in these phoney schemes that only cost money and deliver nothing in return.

National Magazine Exchange Logo National Magazine Exchange