National Credit Systems / Unethical collection practices and bullying

Atlanta, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 404-214-4984

I was contacted by this company by a Mr. Barnes in reference to a debt owed to former landlord/rental agency after vacating the property the previous year. The debt owed increased by over $1200.00. I was advised if I felt the debt was not owed to supporting documentation, but Mr. Barnes hung up on me before giving me the proper address to sent complaints too. He continued to call daily, multiple times, and when I asked for a supervisor, I was hung up on or put on hold for 30 minutes or more, only to be rerouted to Mr. Barne's voicemail. I advised him on another occassion that I was a student, and he actually threatened to garnish Federal Funds, and when I advised him that would be a federal crime, he hung up on me. He contacted my mother and when she asked for something sent via USPS, certifed mail, he hung up on her. I found their mailing information through the Federal Trade Commission, and sent 17 plus pages of supporting documentation, and when I received another call, this time from Ms. Bennett, she had no idea what I was talking about. When I asked her for a supervisor, she hung up on me. They have threatened that they will assure I will not be able to receive federal grants for a public/state university, and when I informed them different, they hang up on me. They overtalk, yell, and make threats and seem to have no reasoning, ethics, or communication skills. After I searched the internet, I found 1.8 million hits and complaints for fraud and scam alerts in reference to National Credit Services. Any attempts to dispute the claim, end in them hanging up on me. They sent threatening information to my grandmother, and spelled her name wrong and got the address wrong. They say you can dispute the claim, but you really can't. It seems I am only one of many thousands of clients being abused by this company.

Comments

• Nc
      May 07, 2011

I'm currently dealing with Ms. Bennett and National Collection Systems. I received a call on April 22nd that I owed them $120.91 for past due rent and utilities. It's not a large amount, but when I moved out of the apartments, I owed them nothing. My utilities were handled by a 3rd party, SRP (Salt River Project - srpnet.com), and my account was closed on the day I moved out in good standing ($0 balance). I have this in writing.

I was never notified by the apartment complex that I owed them money, despite leaving my forwarding information more than once. I only received a CALL from National Collection Systems 10 weeks and 4 days after vacating the apartment. On May 5th, I asked Ms. Bennett to please FAX me a the itemized list of charges. She assured me the fax would be sent in 10-15 minutes. I verified the fax machine to be on, working and successfully receiving faxes. I never received the fax.

I phoned Ms. Bennett the following day (May 6th) and stated that I never received the fax. She told me "the system" shows it was sent successfully. I asked her to send the fax again. She stated "We do not send faxes more than once." They also do not email documents. I gave Ms. Bennett my home address to have her send me the documents. The address they had on file was not only incorrect, it was an address I'd never heard of. Also on this call, Ms. Bennett informed me that they will submit my record to the credit bureaus on May 7th and May 21st. Today is May 6th. Since they don't work on weekends, they're submitting it today.

I have no doubt in my mind that the fax was never sent. I'm currently waiting for the itemized list of charges to be mailed to me. In the meantime, I've drafted a request for debt validation from National Credit Systems. Unfortunately, I don't have a physical mailing address other than the PO Box listed on their website, so I won't be able to mail this until I speak with Ms. Bennett on Monday, May 9th.

I attempted to contact the apartment complex to dispute the debt, but the complex told me their "files" were all sent to the collections agency. They cannot provide ANY information other than my start and end dates of being a tennent.

After some quick searching, it's painfully obvious National Collection Systems operates under fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices. How they're still in business, I'll never know.

• Un
      May 23, 2011

Currently dealing with a Mr. Curtis Harris. Good luck trying to dispute anything. They have a fraud case on their hands and will be wrapped up in the lawsuit. They are refusing to even work with me on anything. This was not my apartment, This was not my lease and it is no skin off my nose since I own my home and my new car. It is too old to even matter at this point. I just wanted it off my credit.

• Ky
      Dec 27, 2012

I had a collections against me from NCS and won my case. I discuss it due to confidentiality, but trust me...use this guy! Thanks,
    Kyle

[protected]@aol.com
    www.georgiaconsumerattorney.com

• Ky
      Dec 27, 2012

Also, make sure you make a complaint against them on BBB