[Resolved] National Car Rental / fraudulent auto claim

PO Box 842264, Dallas, United States

I rented a car from National Car Rental for two days out of DFW with National. The agents told me at the counter that cars had normal wear and tear. The car we rented had minor scratches, street tar and had not recently be cleaned. When we returned the car, the agent receiving the vehicle pointed out a scratch on the bumper and asked what happened. We said nothing while we had the car, that it must have been pre-existing damage. The agent then wrote up a small yellow slip to have it 'evaluated' and asked us to sign. I changed the verbiage on the form because the write up did not reflect what we said or what we saw. A month later, I get a bill in the mail with different damage photographed and highlighted for nearly $1000. The vehicle was drivable and did not require repair, yet we were billed for a new fender, property value loss, loss of rental days and other unrelated charges.

I informed my insurance company to contact them to substantiate the claim and pay if it was in fact valid. However, the company claiming to represent National Car Rental has disregarded my agents attempts and continued to send threatening messages to me via email. I would send a certified letter with notarization, but National Car Rental Damage Recovery Unit conveniently uses a PO box rather than a street address for official mail. The 'Damage Recovery Unit' claiming to represent the car rental company has done nothing to provide proof to validate the claim and has not honored requests to contact my appointed agent. Everything I have done has been ignored.

• Resolution statement

• National Car Rental Customer Care's Response, Apr 07, 2014

Hello LMSW
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look further into your damage claim concern. Please email [protected]@Nationalcar.com with your full name, contact information, damage claim number, rental location and any additional details of your experience.
    When emailing, please list reference #140407-002290 in the subject line.

Megan