MetLife Dental / denied services

Daughter needed braces. Called Metlife to see if it was covered under our dental policy. The employee said yes. Gave no other information. Made the appointment with Orthodontist. They even called Metlife. They drew up the payment plan going on what Metlife said was covered. Braces have been in my daughters mouth over two weeks. Got a letter stating she wasn't covered. Turns out there is a 24month waiting period before braces are covered. Well why in the hell did they tell us it was covered? No one mentioned 24 months to us or the Orthodontist. Metlife now says you can't go buy what their employees tell you. If I need information on my benefits because I couldn't find the information on my own or don't remember it stated when signing up and need to know this Why can't I call the company I pay regularly for this informations? Why am I paying Metlife if I can't go by what they tell me when I need information??? Our savings acount was drained paying Our "Half" of the bill and now becuase their employees left on one tiny piece of important information I have to come up with over $2000 more to pay the half I was told they covered? This is not right! Metlife needs to accept thier employees mistakes and maybed even train them for better customer service. I can't afford $5000 braces, I surely would have waited if I was told that was what had to happen!!! One little sentence would have prevented our life from being turned upside down and a horrible debt we have to find a way out of over the next however many years!

Comments

• Ju
      4th of Aug, 2009

Wow...thank you for sharing your complaint. I need to get braces myself and I have Metlife dental insurance...I better check what they cover before my appointment..I thought I was going to be fully covered - guess not, huh?! I certainly can't afford $2000 for my braces ...we already pay too much in taxes and everything else...thanks again for the heads up! Much appreciated!

• Ju
      4th of Aug, 2009

Just to clarify (I made a comment above). I agree with you! I guess I checked the wrong box when I made the comment.

• Do
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Metlife Dental is outsourced so that is how they can get away with saying this. They hired an independent contractor to cover their services so Metlife basically walked away from you the customer (except your money). They can cast the blame for incorrect information and they know most people do not have the resources to fight them off. The best thing to do is to keep on complaining about it and get names and numbers. We must make Metlife be responsible for their lack of customer care.

• Ra
      29th of Jun, 2010

I agree!!! Metlife has the worst customer service. They will hang up on you, catch an attitude, and provide incorrect information. The best thing to do is opt out of Dental insurance if Metlife is your only option. Paying out of pocket is cheaper than paying monthly for Dental coverage that does not cover most of your dental works anyways.

• Va
      27th of Oct, 2010

I needed a partial plate because a tooth was removed from my bridge and the tooth the bridge would have connected to was unstable. MetLife denied my claim due to the "missing tooth clause." My partial cost $1, 500. Thank goodness my husband's insurance "Always" picked up $1, 000. I had my dentist office send MetLife a narrative and xrays. They are still denying coverage. So I am going to appeal. They are [censor]. Don't get insurance from them.

• Te
      13th of Jan, 2011

Thats exactly what I experiencing.The Metlife promised to cover orthodontic procedure then when the time comes for the appointment, they deny the coverage. Speak to them on the phone makes no sense they just keeping saying no and there is no guarantee on anything but taking our money.What a disgrace.
    This is a case for a class action

• Bi
      2nd of Mar, 2011

so happy to find this, as I WAS interested in signing up for this insurance.

I will certainly forego that now.

thanks. :)

4th of Nov, 2011

If you have been screwed by MetLife Dental then please visit Change.org and sign our petition against MetLife Dental. Thanks.

• Le
      5th of Apr, 2012

Metlife has taken our money too. I call a year ago and they said they would cover half of othro, I asked several times and they said yes. Recently I got a bill from my dentist for $700 + dollars because Metlife has not covered their full share. When I called, they said that the previous person gave me inaccurate information and I was still responsible, regardless of what she said. When I talked to a supervisor, he was an idiot and said I should not be upset that I had to pay extra, happens to him all of the time and he is fine with it. Said he wishes he had a magic button to fix it for me, said it twice. Condescending ###. I am out more then $700 dollars and was not able to increase Flex Spend to cover it. Glad to hear someone say that this is subcontractor, will contact Met Life directly.

• Ls
      26th of Aug, 2017

MetLife biased independent dental consultants are experts in finding less expensive procedures to justify denial of covered benefits recommended by our dentist. covered benefits such as implants or bridge will never be covered because independent medical examiners will only approve a lesser expensive procedure such as a partial not taking into consideration other medical conditions that are detrimental to your health this independent dental consultants should be sued, they must be well compensated for their biased denials. We appealed twice, without any success in the mean time I'm missing three molars limiting my ability to chew. I will have to wait until January to change insurance coverage. in the mean time I'm actively looking for lawyer willing to take on MetLife