Match.com / marketng me without my consent

1 4303 Texas Wildlife TrailAustin, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 512 42-1675

A friend told me to google potential dates' usernames -- she did that and found a guy on a bunch of swinger sites. Just for fun, I googled my own Match username, and found myself on page after page of Singles webpages, all with the Match.com logo, in all different towns in Texas that I'd never been to or even heard of. They all said "------ (me) is single in Austin! Online now! (even when I was not signed in) or (Active within one hour!" I was horrified, and wrote them to ask what this was about. They made me look like an online queen, putting myself out there in every town from Dallas to El Paso.

They have still never responded and refuse to remove me. I did some digging into their site, and I now think this was done in conjunction with their concept of "Communities" -- they lump people into a "Community" (Seniors, Single Parents, CHristian, etc) and market you on these separate web pages, but they don't ask you if you want to be on it, and they don't tell you.

I feel like bait. I googled the username of the homeliest women on the pages, and got "No Result." Same for the men. But anyone who is better-looking is used as bait in as many towns as those ###s can think of. I have written to them hundreds of times and they have never replied. Once when I mentioned the word "lawyer," they removed me for a short time, but now I am back on those pages, and on new and different towns I've also never heard of and will never visit. THe men in those towns will never meet me, I can tell ya.

I am furious.

Comments

14th of Jul, 2008

i am also angry, i will call a lawyer! because i had cancelled 5 months ago and the still post me in their listings::: my identy SHOULD have been removed!!!

• Ca
      30th of Nov, 2008

Match.com is not marketing you. Once you put any type of information about yourself on the internet, whether you are on match.com or not it can be accessed by anyone who knows any thing about you. Also, match.com doesn't put you on website communities, if you visit other sister sites such as Chemistry then you are putting yourself out there. Furthermore, there is nothing a lawyer could do for you in a situation like this because you agreed to their Terms of use.

• Ai
      30th of Jan, 2011

I know exactly how you feel. Somehow i got used in marketing to and don't know how to get my username off. upsettingly enough it markets me in a town i just moved to and in a city i use to live in! this is upsetting and embaressing. :/ I'll get in trouble with my significant other and I don't know how to get them to not have me on there. So now i'm changing my email acounts on social networks so i can just drop the username which is the same as my email name :(. If you find out please post so others can be saved being upset like this.