MasterCuts / poor customer service

1 Columbia, MD, United States Review updated:

Date of incident: 7/6/18 ~6:30pm
Location: MasterCuts Hair Salon - Mall in Columbia STE 1605 Columbia, MD 21044 Salon #2021

Incident Description: My husband and my son visited this location for haircuts. When I came to meet my husband and son at the salon, I walked into your establishment my husband was getting his hair cut, but my son was sitting in a chair with his hair partially cut. When I looked around the salon to see where was his stylist, a stylist on the other side of the salon was cutting another customer's hair and told me my son was acting up so she moved on to another customer. When she finished with the other customer, I explained to her that I found it unacceptable for leave my son with a half completed job. She then stated that my son was too old to be acting like a child and she had never seen a child act this way. I told her that this response was unprofessional. She asked me how would I have reacted if a customer acted the way he did, I tried to explain to her an approach but reminded her she should know this working in customer service. However, she still seemed unaware of what she did wrong because she made sure to tell me to "get a life" and stated that I must have been "having a bad day". At this point, I asked her that if I was of male and/or Caucasian would she speak to me this way in public. She dismissed me. My husband, who is Caucasian, had to talk to her, and she decided to complete my haircut. But, while he stood with my son as she finished his haircut, she told him that she could understand why my son was acting this because, again, "I am angry". My husband had to tell her at the end of the haircut again that he felt she was behaving inappropriate. I am quite disappointed with this transaction that I am now spending my time typing this email. As an educated individual, who has dedicated her career to provide service to under-served and underrepresented individuals, I know I was treated unfairly based upon your employee's negative stereotypes regarding my skin tone. No customer should be treated this way. Your employee showed no compassion or empathy to my son and certainly not me. I hope you take this narrative seriously and reach out to the manager about this incident, so he can teach this employee about compassion, empathy, exceptional service. If not, I have already posted online a description of the event, so other customers in the area aware of what they might encounter. I will note that the previous customer reviews have been mostly negative, which supports my concerns regarding this location's customer service. To end on a more positive note, your other stylist exhibited true class by approaching me and apologizing for your other employee's behavior. By this act of kindness, my faith in humanity was partially restored. But, I hoping you all will do the right thing by addressing this issue sooner than later.

• Updated by Alyssa Gamaldo, Jul 06, 2018

Date of incident: 7/6/18 ~6:30pm

Incident Description: My husband and my son visited this location for haircuts. When I came to meet my husband and son at the salon, I walked into your establishment to find my husband was getting his hair cut, but my son was sitting in a chair with his hair partially cut. When I looked around the salon to see where was his stylist, a stylist on the other side of the salon was cutting another customer's hair and told me my son was acting up so she moved on to another customer. When she finished with the other customer, I explained to her that I found it unacceptable for leave my son with an unfinished haircut. She then stated that my son was too old to be acting like a child and she had never seen a child act this way. I told her that this response was unprofessional. She asked me how I would have reacted if a customer acted the way he did, I tried to explain to her a more suitable approach but reminded her that she should know this working in customer service. However, she still seemed unaware of what she did wrong because she made sure to tell me to "get a life" and stated that I must have been "having a bad day". At this point, I asked her if she would have spoken to me this way in public if I was male and/or Caucasian. She dismissed me. My husband, who is Caucasian, had to talk to her, and she decided to complete my son’s haircut. But, while he stood with my son as she finished the task, she told him that she could understand why my son was acting up because, again, "I am angry". My husband had to tell her at the end of the haircut that she was behaving inappropriately. I am quite disappointed with this transaction that I am now spending my time typing and editing this email. But, when you “don’t have life”, this is what you do (sarcasm). As an educated individual, who has dedicated her career to providing service to under-served and underrepresented individuals, I know I was treated unfairly based upon your employee's negative stereotypes regarding my skin tone. No customer should be treated this way. Your employee showed no compassion or empathy to my son and certainly not me. I hope you take this narrative seriously and reach out to the manager about this incident, so he/she can teach this employee about compassion, empathy, and exceptional service. If not, I have already posted online a description of the event, so other customers in the area are aware of what they might encounter. I must note that the previous customer reviews have been mostly negative, which supports my concerns regarding this location's customer service. To end on a more positive note, your other stylist exhibited true class by approaching me and apologizing for your other employee's behavior. By this act of kindness, my faith in humanity was partially restored. But, I hoping you all will do the right thing by addressing this issue sooner than later. Thanks for your time in reviewing this feedback.

Al
Jul 6, 2018

Comments

• Mo
      12th of Jul, 2018

Went to master cuts at the east field mall in Springfield mass this afternoon. Not surprised all the stores are shutting down! The girl had one girl she was cutting and no one waiting. She told me there would be a long wait and did I want to make an appointment for tomorrow. I looked around to see why it was so busy, there was no one else there! I was only getting my six year old granddaughters hair trimmed a half of an inch. Rude rude rude! I will never use master cuts. This happened at twenty if three this afternoon. If the manager of this salon is reading this then this girl needs to go. Your losing business! But then again there isn’t much there to begin with! Patti