Mastercraft Maximum Battery / Not made anymore

Canadian Tire
North Vancouver
Phone: 604 922 8250
At Christmas time a few years back my wife bought three sets of Mastercraft Maximum 14.4 Volt Impact Drill Sets,
one for myself, and one each for two sons. Each set has had little useage and are, however, now required as we are starting to build a summer home this coming spring. We find now that the batteries will not retain a charge and upon checking at the Canadina Tire Store in North Vancouver, B.C. Canada, we find that Mastercraft are no longer making the battery type #54-3088 and no other battery will fit the drills or the chargers. We now find that all three units are useless because of this and the drill untis, chargers and cases are throwaway items. We feel some compensation should have been offered by Canadian Tire but no such offer was made or apology.

N  27th of Jan, 2009 by
Isn't this a common occurrence with companies like this, make an item and remove it from production without any notice. I had the same experience with B&D, batteries die without warning causing the charger to burn out as well. With contacting the company, I was told that I should have carried the batteries to a service shop to have them checked before placing them in the charger, Smart advice. I would have to take the batteries in question to the nearest shop which is a hour and half from where I live. That would cost me more than the cost of another battery.
They just don't give a care about the customer. That's another customer to change brands of tools, but then again, who is producing what these days?
N  12th of Feb, 2009 by
I have the exact same problem with my Mastercraft Maximum 14.4 Volt Impact Drill Set. The set is only 2.5 years old and has received very little use, but both batteries will no longer retain a charge . CND Tire has 'updated' their cordless impact drill to new battery pack, and they no longer carry the battery pack for my version of the drill.
A  24th of Nov, 2009 by
I have 14.4 volt cordless impact driver for two years or so and the batteries don't hold a charge anymore the store said to bring it back and they will refund me.I don't want a refund I want a battery.why do we have the technology for cars to drive off of batteries but we cant get this fixed. The drill is awesome the batteries suck.
A  30th of Nov, 2010 by
I also have the MasterCRAP 14.4v. Same problems with the battery. I now buy another brand of tools, but not from Canadian Tire.
A  25th of Sep, 2014 by
Mastercraft tools are getting cheaper and cheaper in quality. Stay away from there. They make something new, after a few years - you can not find any batteries... It shows that they do not care about what people think about their product. I would be very happy to see them close their doors, so that less people get screwed by them.
A  28th of Sep, 2016 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Yes, the same problems for myself. Worse still I have two different drill sets with this problem. Canadian Tire's approach to this is simply throw everything away and by all means buy another set from us so that we can do this all over again and again. The environmental aspects of this are especially bad but I doubt that Canadian Tire really cares. The public should be very aware of what is going on here and strongly resist buying any of these products from a non supportive store like Canadian Tire.

Mastercraft Logo Mastercraft