Massage Envy / unfair contract

Beverly Hills, CA, United States Review updated:

The contract that Massage Envy uses is called a Contract of Adhesion in Contracts Law. When this contracts are argued in court, it is likely that the judge will hold for the plaintiff (in this case the customer). In most cases, the court will refuse to enforce terms that it finds unconscionable (more favorable to one party) and it will construe ambiguities against the draftsman, in this case Massage Envy. If the terms of the contract are not clear about cancellation, the court will hold that the contract is not enforceable. This contract is something that can definitely be fought in court, and it is likely that there will be a positive outcome for the customer. I see the same complaint over and over, "I was not told about the cancellation" "I did not see the terms". Massage Envy is being misleading, and this is the type of cases the court loves, courts want to look out for customers and want to put a stop to big companies like Massage Envy, and their "Membership contract".

Comments

• Jj
      10th of Feb, 2010

Massage Envy is absolutely misleading as well as rude. Their contract is non-negotiable at any point after the first 3 days. I tried to cancel my membership 1 week after signing up after experiencing 2 terrible massages. The manager was unwilling to cancel my membership, and only had to offer names of other therapists as a resolution. After explaining that it was not my wish to continue on, he basically told me that I have no other choice. Now I'm stuck going for massage at a uncomfortable, unprofessional (on many levels) facility.
    Buyer beware. Do not waste your time or money on massage envy.

23rd of Mar, 2010

I had a horrific experience as well. The atmosphere is completely unprofessional and more interested obtaining customer's money than customer satisfaction. They rely on the contract to ensure money will continue into the business. If this company did not use contracts it would have gone out of business a long time ago. How much you want to be there are people locked in to their contracts that would prefer another...OUT!