Marshalls Department Store / unfair employee hours

1 Titusville, FL, United States Review updated:

Well I am an employee at Marshalls and I must say the way they jerk around their employees cannot be right. I have been working at this same location for a year and a 2 months so far and as time went by they (management) are trying to save money by doing things that are to me and other fellow associates very unfair. Such as: we close the store at 9:30 and usually we leave at 9:30 or sometime very close to then and I always work 4-9:30 since the opening of the store and never had to take a lunch which is 45 minutes long and now after a year they are telling us that we need to take lunches out of the blue just because they want to save money but yet they want to hire more people although myself and fellow associates beg and beg for more hours but we never get more hours. I just want to know if this is right and I'm just over reacting or if we are just sitting back as we get screwed over. If anyone has any info on this kind of stuff comment on it. Thank you!

Va

Comments

• Ev
      17th of Dec, 2008

I work at marshalls also, only very part time now. Due to their bad hours policy. They do the exact same thing in our location, cut hours down to the bone on workers they already have and then hire a new bunch just as they are saying "Sorry, corporate didn't give us hardly any hours in our budget this week." Usually this new group craps out after 2 weeks to a month and then they do it all over again.

They were doing this last winter season (after christmas) so imagine what it will be like this year...

• De
      5th of Oct, 2009

I also work at Marshalls part time and notice that they hire people who leave after a few weeks and also are always complaining about having enought money to cover the regulars. Another bad habit they have is putting people in a given place and just leaving them in the same department, night after night. It gets REALLY boring..just like the movie GROUND HOG DAY! I am considering leaving as I don't feel the management is respectful of their employees either.

• Th
      10th of Apr, 2010

I also work for Marshalls. I got written up because I didn't know what the month topic was. Is that right?

• Be
      26th of Aug, 2010

Marshalls is unfair to their employees. Management is going to do what management wants to do! I've been working at the Tx. Marshalls over 2 years, still at the same place. I would like to get out in do something else. They hire new people for the areas and forget about the other employees. The moral of some of the employees is worser than an ingrown toenail. I will give thanks to the lord when I find a better job!

• Ra
      18th of Nov, 2010
    Marshalls Department Store - mistreatment
    marshalls
    mission valley
    sandiego
    California
    Phone: 619 425 6006

im being so mistreated when i shop in marshalls to where its carzy they salk while im shoppin they disrespect me in every way possiable raymond bennett 323 495 0042

• Am
      5th of Jan, 2011

Yes, the managment in Barboursville is terrible...I know that the company cuts 5 to 5.5 hours and hires more people to save money, but the issue I have is how the management will not rotate workers for days. They will schedule the same people that call off frequently 20+ hours, and when they call off that's the only time I get more than 5 hours per week. I requested off to go home to see my family in another state, for Christmas and they "lost" my RTO slip. Note that I made two copies... I submitted it weeks before the schedule was made. I got stuck working Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, but not New Years Day which was time and a half... I am very reliable and I've never called off any scheduled days. This management is screwing me over to no end, not to mention the harassment I get from other workers. I constantly get yelled at my other workers for nothing. I guess it's because I work hard and it makes them look bad, especially the ones who snub off customers and walk around and do not clean their departments. I just want to be able to do my job and be good with my customers, without having other worker harass me. I've got to the point where I don't want to work there anymore, that if I could find another job I would...Yes, the employees there can be very lazy and shove their work onto others and yes there are some very rude and snobby ones at the Marshalls in Barboursville, WV. Why would the managers want to continue to schedule hours to people who always no show? You would think that they would want reliable workers to work more and hard working ones to make their store look good.

22nd of Jan, 2011

I HAVE A COMPLAINT TOO. I WAS GETTING A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF PAY AND NOW MY HOULY PAY. IS THAT ILLEGAL. I WORK AT MARSHALL. I AM SO MAD. I FEEL THEY STEALING MY MONEY. WHAT SHOULD I DO.

22nd of Jan, 2011

I HAVE A COMPLAINT TO.o I WAS GETTING A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF HOURLY PAY AND NOW my hourly IS LOWER. IS THAT ILLEGAL? I WORK AT MARSHALls. I AM SO MAD. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

• Ho
      17th of Feb, 2011

I guess then it's true about Marshalls. It's happening at the Phoenix location at Desert Ridge Mall. It's a combo store (Marshalls/HomeGoods). I am working there still for 3 years now. I'm a part timer and average 26-27 hrs weekly. Lately I've been getting only 20. The new computerized scheduling system is pathetic! I stand up for my rights as far as hours being taken away and they usually they fix it unless the store has to cut back, then they cut everyone equally *so they say. If you don't say anything then they'll take advantage of you. Today as a matter of fact I will talk to them and tell them to fix my upcoming pathetic work schedule.

31st of Mar, 2011

they also have people with serious felonies working there

• Do
      1st of Mar, 2012

I work at homegoods which is related to the company and they do the same thing I think the whole cooperation is like that. I have been with the company for 5 years and until recently the shortest shift I had was 4.5 hours this new manager comes along and she won't let anybody work over 3. But one thing I have to say is that if this weekend goes right they are all gonna have to give us more hours

28th of May, 2012

It's now approaching June and I am still getting 20 hours or less compared to my steady 26-29 part-time hours I have been getting. I know they cut back on store hours in the beginning of the new year (Jan-March) but it's worse this year. If I don't get my normal hours back by next week I will talk to them. I'm an employee for 4 years.
    I guess it's the same everywhere. "Doinitright", we also have people with felonies working here too. Unreal.

• Ti
      9th of Apr, 2014

Marshalls in Louisville, Kentucky is a terrible place to work. The store manager has her favorite pets and the rules and regulations do NOT apply to them as they as "protected" So unless you like being a butt kisser, you'll never get "fair" treatment there.

• Mz
      13th of Jun, 2014

My availability says anytime but I only get closing shifts. What's worse is the store closes at 9:30 but we leave at 11:20-30pm I get home so late n without a lunch. The schedule is very unfair n we have a big store but they only put one person to recover the woman's side n the mens. It's taking all night for us to leave and the buses come every hour when it's that late so when you miss it your out there in the middle of the night waiting a hr for a bus. It is very scary n dangerous when your a female alone at a bus stop.Even if your finished with your department they still won't let you leave. There is several times I asked for help n get a response of "I'm tired too, I have been on the register all day" (with attitude), that's a slap in the face when I'm breaking my back. This job is very abusive toward their staff. At least the store manager Brad listens. This is store #723 Koop city NY (baychester).You want the truth stop with the surveys that we won't fill out n give to a manager so they can read. Send someone to talk to us in a private room n that's where you'll get the truth if anyone cares. Please help us.

• Di
      30th of Aug, 2014

I just put my two weeks in, because of the job as put me into a major depression. They put me into two departments such as Men's and Kids + shoes then also as a back up cashier. I finish every night ready to break down crying and sometimes I do in my car. Our tjx applications are low so management posts emails from upper management asking why that is with demeaning asides. They are at the point where you will get written up for not asking the Customer if they want to open the tjx card, the tjx access card, if they want to buy any gift cards, and then the survey. The full time employee's, coordinators, do little work and often leave the place a wreck for the night crew to clean up. I want any potential employee to think long and hard before apply to any tjx store because after working there a year it has all gone down hill.

12th of Sep, 2014

I to agree with all of the other complaints concerning the hours. I work in Atlanta, Ga. and I am part time and have been getting 20-25 hours per week part time. Now since new management has come in, I am getting less than 20 hours per week. All of a sudden, the associates who have been there the longest and do a good job cannot be worked over 20 hours per week. I also request more hours and the only way I will get close to 20 hours is if one of the new hires call out, then the management team will call asking if I can come in to work, even when I have requested off to handle business, they have called and asked if I really need to be off. The management will also schedule me every weekend and the new hires will be off every weekend, when they were primarily hired to work weekends. I do not have a problem with working weekends, however weekend hours should be rotated between all of us and not the associates who have been there the longest and who have responsible work ethics when it comes to getting the job done and doing whatever is necessary and required to get the job done. I attended a service anniversary luncheon and the district manager spoke about how they care about the employees, how we are family and spoke about the open door policy etc. This district manager never comes by in the evening or at night when most part time employees come to work. I feel if you really care about the associates that work in the district you are responsible for, you should at least make the effort and take one evening out of the month to talk to the part time employees to listen to our concerns. This company talks about company values, but do not practice what they preach. It would be nice to work for a management team and district management team who would listen to concerns and attempt to make some changes. All of the associates have talked about how the store is not the same since the old management team left. The old manager was a hard worker and would listen and act on associates concerns/problems.

• Al
      2nd of Jan, 2015

I had paid for my merchandise with gift cards and cash. When my license was found they gave me store credit instead of my cash back.

• Re
      2nd of Jan, 2015

If you had paid for the merchandise, why didn't you get that after finding your license? Where did your items go? Your complaint doesn't make a lot of sense. What do you find wrong with store credit? You can spend it just like cash.

• Wh
      2nd of Jan, 2015

What you be speaking about??? Your passport has you photo too.

• Cu
      18th of Feb, 2015

I work for TJX companies. You said you gave your license and you only got store credit; which means you returned without a receipt. We can't give you cash back because we don't have a receipt proving you didn't steal the item. Most places won't even return without a receipt, period. We're one of the few stores that do, even though the majority of those returns without receipts are stolen goods. (But don't let that last comment influence a shoplifting and returning spree. We have cameras and we do report all misleading activity to the local police.)