Marriott Vacation Club / not what we expected

My husband and I recently bought a time share transfer from a relative, for a week's stay at the Marriott's Ocean Pointe on Singer Island in Palm Beach FL. This place was a disaster from the word go. Firstly, when I called the timeshare company to make the reservation, I could not understand the lady who barely spoke English so we ended up with a regular hotel room instead of a condo. When I tried to call and upgrade, the Marriott told me they could not upgrade me that I would have to do it through the timeshare. When I called the timeshare (Interval International) they advised me that the only way to upgrade was to cancel the reservation I already had and go on a waiting list for a condo. No way! I already had my airline tickets. So after a horrible flight experience (which you can read about under complaints about AirTran airways) we arrived almost an entire day late to the Marriott, right before midnight to be exact - only to have to deal with a very huffy front desk clerk who also told us he could not upgrade us for two reasons. One being that they were booked (parking lot was pretty bare during the time we were there) and secondly because he could not do it there. I still don't know what that means. This is a place that you can just drive up to and get a room so why they can't upgrade you to what you wanted in the first place and you know they have available because the condo right next to us was unoccupied! It was pretty much downhill from there. The bars on-site, as well as the Pizza Hut (on-site also) will not take your money. You have to run up a tab. The pool bar at the building we were at - which was separated from the rest of the resort by a slummy apartment - closed early most days. I only saw the concierge at our building on one or two occasions actually sitting at the desk. Most of the time was a note posted that said "Sorry I missed you". We couldn't even get fresh bathroom towels or basic housekeeping services because it wasn't "included" in our reservation. Halfway through our stay I was forced to go down and actually use the on-site laundry facility to wash the resorts bathroom towels! This is unacceptable! Why would I pay how many thousands of dollars to buy into a timeshare where you go do all the housework you do while you are not on vacation!?

Va

Comments

• Ba
      27th of Mar, 2011

The word "DEPOSIT" is NOT correct, but they don't tell you that. I have family coming to a timeshare and I called to book it. DEPOSIT means FORFEIT! My family have airline tickets already and when I didn't get a confirmation, I called Marriott. They said I gave it away!!! So it cost me $109 to request 9/2 - 9/7 in January, 2011. They still haven't found that week for me. It makes no sense to deposit a week you are not going to use. The terminology should be "FORFEIT" so that you know you are giving the week away. If anyone has that week they want to give up, please call Interval and tell them so that my family doesn't waste their airline tickets! Thank you in advance. P.S. If you don't already know this, once you own a timeshare, it is 'in perpetuity' meaning forever down to your children upon your death, grandchildren upon their parents death, etc. etc.