Mango Airlines / contravention of consumers act

South Africa Review updated:

My Wife fell at the airport on our way to boarding and had to visit the toilet to stop the bleeding. As we got to the boarding gate the staff asked us our names and said that we were offloaded. At the ticket counter we were in a very rude manner told that we had to buy a new ticket as we forfeited ours without refund. No explanation was asked or offer made to refund any portion of the money we paid for the ticket. According to the CCC this is illegal and they may be fined. This attitude and behaviour is to be expected from a company who does not respond to HelloPeter

Pw

Comments

• Mi
      Oct 11, 2010
    Mango Airlines - mango have triplicated their charge to my credit card due to their system incompetence
    flymango.com

Mango have triplicated their charge to my credit card due to their system incompetence. Now I am being made to wait up to 14 days for my refund. In my books this amounts to THEFT as they have no right to this money. I can understand a day or 2 delay, but 14 days is totally unacceptable. This means that their customer (me) is out of pocket and losing bank interest for 2 weeks.

Considering what the volume of refunds could be and the duration of time, Mango is clearly taking (thieving) interest away from consumers, to their benefit but due to their incompetence. This is socially and morally unethical, a contravention of good corporate governance and ultimately WRONG.

I will now only use Mango as a last resort. Thank you for being so pathetic.

• Aa
      Oct 11, 2010

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in. Let’s
    Facelift bar!

• Fl
      Feb 06, 2011
    Mango Airlines - mango airlines management needs to wake up
    Mango Airlines

Travelled within Mango airlines yesterday between Cape Town and JHB or should I say tried

Departure time 13:30 but only left CPT at 21:45 due to some problem that we as paying passengers had to run around and figure out . . . . with no success!!!

The management of Mango never once informed us on how they are planning to resolve the issue

I understand that technical problems do happen, but then Mango airlines need to activate their senior ground staff in the airport to inform their paying clients (don’t keep us in the dark and hope we will disappear)

It’s not what you do. . its . . HOW YOU DO IT!

Mango’s management needs to wake up ASAP but hopefully within the next 59 days!!!

• Mi
      Aug 01, 2013
    Mango Airlines - uselss service on 3 occassions
    flymango.com

I will never fly with Mango ever again, nor will any of my family. These are my only 3 experiences:

1. Five years ago my wife’s new leather luggage was torn and 2 zips broken off. These were replaced with old substitute zips.
    2. Four years ago I was charged R 250 for golf clubs when 2 days prior Kulula let me fly with them for free.
    3. Online booking failure leading to me missing my flight

• Ru
      Aug 06, 2013
    Mango Airlines - refusal to acknowledge flight amendment/cancellation
    mango airlines
    flymango.com

I booked a flight with Mango Airlines on 31 July for a return trip to Durban with my husband.Due to unforeseen circumstances we are now unable to fly over the coming weekend. On 5th of August I called their call centre the entire morning to no response. I sent an email informing them about this to [protected]@flymango.com and again no-one acknowledged my mail. I called the call centre again today and was attended to by a consultant who I explained my predicament to (Scelo Mathibela). He explained the R500 fee that I will incur and that I will not get a refund, instead they will issue me with a credit note to which i understood. He requested me to send a fax/email to him explaining this and I did as told. Again I did not receive any acknowledgement. I called the call centre again to make sure my mail was received and was attended to by another lady consultant. I am now told in order for them acknowledge my flight cancellation I must submit some sort of proof otherwise there is nothing they can do. Nowhere is this written in their policy that I need to behave like a school child and send through copies of proof. I have informed them of my request, is that not enough for them to process this? Can a supervisor call me please?

This is me trying to cancel this flight way before the departure date before i am named as a 'no show'. Mango Airlines is very quick to take our money but when attending to customer needs does not take equal care. Please can somebody attend to this and assist.

• Ru
      Aug 06, 2013
    Mango Airlines - mango refuses to cancel/amend my flight
    Phone: 0826865605
    fllymango.com

I booked a flight with mango airlines on 31 july for a return trip to durban with my husband. Due to unforeseen circumstances we are now unable to fly over the coming weekend. On 5th of august I called their call centre the entire morning to no response. I sent an email informing them about this to [email removed] and again no-one acknowledged my mail. I called the call centre again today and was attended to by a consultant who I explained my predicament to. He explained the r500 fee that I will incur and that I will not get a refund, instead they will issue me with a credit note to which I understood. He requested me to send a fax/email to him explaining this and I did as told. Again I did not receive any acknowledgement. I called the call centre again to make sure my mail was received and was attended to by another lady consultant. I am now told in order for them acknowledge my flight cancellation I must submit some sort of proof otherwise there is nothing they can do. Nowhere is this written in their policy. I now have to behave like a school child looking around for proof so that I can be worthy of their attention? I have informed them of my request, is that not enough for them to process this before I 'forfeit' the departure deadline to cancel.

When mango airlines takes my money it is okay, however when I want to make ammendments to my flight I am given the runaround? And i'm penalized on top of that!!!

Can a supervisor call me please?

• Sh
      Jun 18, 2014
    Mango Airlines - ticket sales
    Cape Town
    South Africa

On Friday the 13th i was meant to fly first flight out to JHB. That morning i was involved in a car accident. Arriving 10min late for boarding I was forced to go onto to standby. Going to the ticket sales, and explaining the situation to the consultant, she could not be bothered that i was involved in a car accident and was forced to buy a stand by ticket at R1700.00. By my state of mind and injuries they could tell I was not lying. Being a single mom, been put out of pocket of R1700.00 was a huge blow. I am very disappointed in there attitude towards me, and was made to feel bad for going on stand by.
    Mango could have shown some sort of sympathy and put me on the next flight at half the cost. Will not fly Mango again...

• Du
      Aug 11, 2014
    Mango Airlines - refund ref: ltwmmm
    Beyond the Blue Advertising
    Cape Town
    Phone: 0799856719

Booked a flight online using fnb cell pay point option 26/06/2017 for a 29. I called the mango call centre as flight confirmation wasn't received. Had to send proof of payment I did this same day. Following up 27/06/2017, I was informed that on boarding, payment was expected (Despite the proof of payment) and a refund will be issued as the funds were still not reflecting. Flight was 29 june. 7/07/2017, I followed up on the refund and was asked to send documentation which I sent 10/07/2017. 11/07/02014 chantel responded thanking me for the documentation and advising that she is actioning the refund and I will get it in 7-14 days. 28/07. The flight was 43 days ago. The promise for the 7-14 days refund was 21 working days ago. 28/07 l emailed chantel to check the state of the refund, she responded saying that it was sent on the 16th (To whom, I have no idea) and I should wait 7-14 working days. I attached her confirmation from the 11th which said the same and asked about this discrepancy in the date and she didn't respond. Today is 18 working days after the 16th which she mentioned, and the money is still not in the account.

• Ej
      Oct 15, 2014
    Mango Airlines - booking and refunding
    Mango
    OR Tambo JHB
    South Africa

1. I want to inform you about the terrible experience me and my wife had to endure with Mango Airline on Friday 2017-09-26 at O R Tambo airport.
    2. We were on our way to Durban for what we hope would be a nice break away for the weekend. When we booked in we were requested for my Credit card for verification. It was not with me and no other identification or bank card were acceptable. I was told it is policy which I had to accept. We were accompanied to your Guest Counter Service where I had to make another booking and pay for two new tickets. My previous booking was fully paid! I learned about the note on your bookings but we made our bookings through “Cheap Flights”.
    3. My frustration and fury were caused by the following:
    -My flight bookings were fully paid but we had to pay for new bookings due to your system requirements. We have our necessary and legal identification documents with us.
    -I carry only my check account card with me as my savings and credit accounts are linked to this card. Mango is not operating in line with current excepted and normal banking business rules and we as your customers had to bear the humiliation and inconvenience at Mangos operations on the airport.
    -We had to pay our savings for the weekend for the new bookings in order to be allowed on the flight which we nearly missed. We had no time to even visit a convenience shop or the bathrooms before the flight as we were rushed to the plane. Our weekend was spoiled due to this episode and lack of money.
    -When I tried on Monday 2017-09-22 to register for the refunding of the first bookings was your call centre not easily accessible and difficult to reach. I had to phone three times after the calls were clearly answered but immediately stopped by the operators.
    - I am waiting since 2017-09-22 for the money to be refunded.
    - Mango Guest Service is not responding on my mails send on 2017-09-22 and 2017-10-06.

• Ni
      Nov 10, 2014
    Mango Airlines - voyager miles not deducted
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I made a booking on the mango website on 29 Oct 2017. I logged in to voyager by entering my card number and pin. I pressed ok and it said my name on the top, so i was obviously logged in. I then proceeded to choose my flights, and on the right hand side of the screen where it usually tells you how much the flight is, it now indicated how many voyager miles it was. I proceeded to check that i had enough miles and pressed the book button. Instead of approx R900 being deducted from my cc, the voyager miles were not decudcted an a full R2075 was deducted instead! I logged a complaint at Mango and the feedback from the IT dept is that i never logged on to voyager..how is that even possible when i was able to see how many miles were allocated to each flight? Absolute nonsense and i believe that the Mango system is not working properly, and customers are being penalised for this system not being fully functional. Please can someone address this as i am honest enough to tell you that i logged into voyager when i said that i did, dont make me seem like a liar and cheat. It is bad customer service.

• Sh
      Mar 15, 2015
    Mango Airlines - unacceptable customer service
    P O Box 367, Maraisburg, 1709
    Gauteng

Booking details with mango
    Reference number mgsfrd
    Passenger details (3 adults) & ndash; please refer to the booking details
    Flight details: johannesburg to cape town
    Flight details: cape town to johannesburg 18:30 & ndash; 20:45 flight je161
    19:15 & ndash; 21:20 flight je168 friday 27 feb 2017
    Monday 02 mar 2017
    Payment details credit card
    Payment status & ndash; paid in full
    R4821.00
    Zero outstanding amount payment was made on the 20th january 2017.
    Note: just over a month before the flight
    Complaint
    1. On the afternoon of the day of departure from johannesburg to cape town my husband, daughter and left our home in roodepoort at 15h30 and arrived at the airport at about 16:45 for our flight at 18h30 after having parked our car at the long term parking.
    2. We proceeded to the check-in desk to check-in our luggage and this is when we were subjected to the most brazen of attitudes displayed by the desk clerk (Male) and then naledi mothene (An extremely arrogant lady) from guest services and afterwards the rude behaviour by the supervisor on duty at the time
    This is what transpired:
    1. We were requested to produce the credit card with which the flights were booked and unfortunately we did not bring the credit card along. We did however produce all other necessary documentation like identification documents for all of us as well as proof of the credit card payment which reflects on the credit card statement. (The supervisor asked where the reference number reflected on the credit card statement). I asked for a computer or an internet cafe to access my email where a copy of the credit card was kept but was brushed off. However much we tried to resolve the matter, it was summarily rejected by the desk clerk and later on the supervisor showed the same intent... The intention was very clear that they were not prepared to assist us in any way even though we pleaded with them because of a wedding we had to attend at 9h00 the following morning..
    2. The payment was made on the 20th january 2017 and the invoice reflected a zero balance and yet the supervisor was not prepared to try in any way to resolve this matter for us. Taking into account the time that was still left before the boarding gates closed, this matter could easily have been resolved. I have to state emphatically that we have never ever been embarrassed anywhere else like we have been embarrassed by your staff on this day.
    3. We subsequently had to forgo our attempt at being assisted and left the airport at 19h00. We had to be at the airport by 5am the following morning to go on standby and had to park our vehicle at a cost of r500.00 till monday the 2nd march as we were so desperate to get onto a flight. We then had to pay an additional amount of r400.00 per person to have our tickets upgraded to go on standby.

Being in a recruitment position for a number of years, I am fully aware of customer service and its sad to say that none of your staff know the meaning of customer service. Let me give you a brief overview of what customer service means & ldquo;customer service sets great businesses apart from the rest. Customers are the reason that businesses exist. Keeping those customers happy means being responsive to their needs and wants. A good customer service experience can turn a one-time customer into a lifelong repeat customer. People like to share their good experiences. Excellent customer service can turn into positive word of mouth’’.

In the light of this utterly poor display of service and inconsideration for any form of customer service, we are demanding an apology from mango airlines and the staff on duty on that particular day. We also want to be refunded for any addition costs incurred by ourselves.

Should this not be forthcoming in the next 7 days we will seek further guidance and we will publish this incident to ensure that future customers are not treated in the same manner and I will also inform every single person I know not to book with mango airlines ever again because of the disgusting service we receive..

Nb: my family and I have flown with kulula on numerous occasions and we have never been asked to produce a credit card, only our identification documents.

• Gr
      Apr 29, 2015
    Mango Airlines - slow response / feedback
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I booked a domestic flight for my father to Joburg tomorrow, 30th of April, Mango decided to urgently change the time of flight and announces through email yesterday. My father is catching an international flight, I addressed the issue on the phone and with emails this morning. It's been 5hrs and I am still waiting for a manager to assist in my matter.

The service agent at the refunds department responded in less than 30mins, why should a manager take 5hrs to reply? After 3 calls following up. I do understand they can only refund if it's more than one hour prior to original booked time, but in my case it is not fair to inconvenient their customer like this! If airlines just change time without thinking for their customers, then they will just get bad ratings forever!

• Re
      Oct 11, 2015
    Mango Airlines - rude staff
    South Africa

Today I flew Mango from PE to OR Tambo. This flight was part of a Lagos-JHB-CPT-PE-JHB-Lagos round trip. As a gold card, business class passenger I was allocated 3x33kg luggage allowance. Except on this leg where the check-in counter staff member informed me "I am not asking how much luggage you have, I am telling you that you can only have 2x22 kg's". I sent her off to check with her supervisor and was told in no uncertain terms that this was Mango and not SAA. I proceeded to redistribute weight to meet the criteria. After checking in I double checked with SAA that I was allowed 3x33kg, which they confirmed. The Mango staff member didn't bother to get all the facts, to listen what I was telling her and was just simply rude. I won't fly Mango again if I can help it!