Lumber Liquidators / does not have any warranty on their products

1 3000 John Deer RoadToano, VA, United States Review updated:

The date of this complaint will not be exact because it has been dragged out for so long. We bought some Australian Cypress (Bellawood) from Lumber Liquidators. We had it professionally installed. The installer contacted the local store in Houston Texas to determine moisture readings of the slab and get them to agree that the readings were ok to install. After their agreement installation took place.

Within two weeks the wood began to curl and some cases split. We contacted our installer and through him he contacted Lumber Liquidators with the problem. Their recommendation was that a sealer should have been placed on the floor but would not honor the warranty. We paid the installer another 1k to put down the sealer and the installer paid for the new flooring out of his pocket because he felt some what responsible for not being able to make Lumber Liquidators honor their warranty. Once again he contacted LL for more of their expertise and was told after the sealer was put down to acclimatize the wood in the home with packages of wood exposed for two weeks. As per instructions the installer followed these procedures.

Within two weeks after the installation the flooring curled again as bad if not worse than the time before. Upon contacting LL they sent an inspector that they hired to evaluate and take samples of the flooring. I am not sure but I think he was going to tell LL what they wanted to hear. They said it was the fault of everyone but their flooring. They said that the flooring was subject to more humidity than the flooring could tolerate. We live in the Gulf Coast of Texas where the humidity levels tend to be very high at times. If the wood is that sensitive they should not be selling it in this area or at least warn people that it not suited. After months of haggling we are out about 12k on the flooring and either going to have to play to rip it out or have in sanded and refinished to get rid of the curl and splitting. I am posting this to warn others that you do not have any warranty on the products that they sell. We have contacted some attorneys about possible legal action. The attorneys told us by the naming of the business Liquidators it infers that it is seconds and you are buying as is, even though they speak of having a warranty and are probably becoming the largest seller of wood flooring in the country. Maybe if enough people post their problems on every consumer website the Attorney General's offices of some of the states will begin to look at the deceptive practices of this company.

Va

Comments

• Ty
      26th of Sep, 2008

I have installed floors for more than twenty years and I have never seen a poorer product than Bellawood Flooring. After visiting friends in Virginia, my mother decided to pull up her carpet and put down Bellawood after seeing her friends beautiful floors. She decided on Brazilian Cherry. Two years ago I installed her floor and it looked great –for about 6 months! Her home is located in south Ga. and is on about a three foot crawlspace. Before any of the planks were installed, I laid down a DOUBLE moisture barrier (It was my mom’s house). The bottom of her crawlspace had already been protected by a moisture barrier per recommendation by Georgia Power to receive the good cents energy saver discount. The problems began a quarter of the way into the job when I began noticing serious milling mistakes. I also noticed very poor finishing on some of the planks. Both of these problems are a common accordance with hardwoods, so I just grabbed an empty Bellawood box thinking I would return them for a refund. When I finished the job I had more than 3 boxes out of 40 with poor milling/finishes. When I tried to return them I was told that the warranty states that you have to accommodate 5% for industry defects, 8 – 10% for exotic woods. This is B.S. I have never had a problem with returning defective product with any local or national retailer. I guess by translating the warranty 5 - 10 % of the product you have already purchased and haven’t opened is crap. The more serious problems began about 6 months later when the some of the planks began to buckle and some split. When I called Lumber Liquidators I was told that I used the wrong nails. I have installed a whole warehouse full of hardwoods, and the nails are standard. I was also told that the humidity in the home was too high. This might work as an excuse, but if there is high humidity in the home, then why aren’t the hardwood floors in the other rooms affected?(Bruce and Traffic Master). Now, every time my mother goes on vacation, I get called when she gets back to bang down and nail a new buckle. Again, no other rooms with hardwood are affected. I suppose if you install Bellawood floors you have to leave you’re a/c or heat running while you are gone for weeks at a time. Bellawood is the worst flooring I have every installed some much so that I will not install it for any customer and do not recommend it to anyone. By the way, about a year after my mother floors began giving her so much trouble, her friend from Virginia called – Their Bellawood floors began to buckle and split too! I anyone would like to ask me any questions please email me at tgpil@hotmail.com

• Ll
      10th of Dec, 2009

In response to the Johnson claim Customer Care submits the following:

We're sorry to hear you had a problem and we took appropriate steps via the independent inspection process to help determine the root cause of the problem in support of your warranty which states we have the right to inspect a floor because other issues other than manufacturing can cause failures such as improper installation or failure to properly care for the flooring - both of which are out of our control and no manufacturer should be expected to cover the expense associated with these types of issues. This process is used in the carpet and tile industry and the inspectors are not employed by our company to sway decisions in our favor - this is unethical and illegal.

If the inspection report showed a manufacturing problem existed - we would gladly satisfy the claim. No consumer wants to hear they failed to properly install the flooring and this issue should be raised to the attention of the installer as we suggested. There's no indication a negative posting was made about the installer yet we are left to defend our products and actions when the wood itself was not the issue. Wood does not curl up out of the box and in the case of Australian Cypress it can crack as noted on the invoice as a characteristic of this type of wood. The invoice states the consumer should conduct a final inspection prior to installation for any defects so we can correct them. Waste is a natural part of any mother nature driven product as it’s most often not without some imperfections. Even manmade products come with a waste factor. When was the last time you had carpet installed? Did they use every stitch of material or did it require cutting and removal of waste stemming from the installation process? Produce is another good example of natural waste.

LL accepts defective material back in exchange for good product once a defect has been verified. Every customer receives detailed instructions on the invoice including instructions for returns. We do not deceive customers and clearly post this information numerous places within the stores, our website, the warranty, and you’re signed and agreed to invoice. Your initials are noted next to the return and exchange policies stressing the importance of these terms at the time of purchase. The cupping issue is not a product defect and the homeowner / installer are responsible for determining and achieving proper moisture and installation conditions prior to installing the product. Having paid a professional installer we can only suggest you pursue this person for the $12K loss incurred as the one responsible for your negative flooring experience. The beauty and longevity of the floor can only be realized through proper preparation, acclimation, installation, and ongoing floor care after it's installed. You received an excellent and popular product at a great price. It's a shame you had this problem and I can only hope more people read these types of stories and take proper steps as education after the fact can be expensive and 100% avoided.

• Po
      9th of Feb, 2010

Their response makes perfect sense - If you don't read the instructions how can they be responsible for your problem. If I spent that much on flooring and I'm considering it, I would pay more attention to my investment. Sounds like a lot of finger pointing in the wrong direction. I don't think thats even covered on the warranty???

Sounds like you need to look at the papers you sign and follow direction especially when spending that kind of coin.

• Jf
      22nd of Feb, 2010

i PAID PERFECT ATTENTION TO INSTALLATION - AND WAS INSTALLED BY AN EXPERIENCED SKILLED FLOORING MAN AND IT IS STILL J U N K

• Hh
      14th of Mar, 2010

Has there ever been a situation where LL has accepted responsibility for a defective product?

31st of Mar, 2010

LL's are scam artists! They have a loophole for everything. Their flooring was sold to us as the most durable they had...well after 6 months they are splitting everywhere. DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!!

29th of Oct, 2010

Heres a good one I have been trying to pay for the lumber I got which was in good condition howevfer since their bank is GE Money and apparently all calls go to India they screwed up my payoff now they want more money and late fees who the heck is at Lumber liquidators that a person can speak english to and have them understand and have the ability to write down a check number for pay off without screing it up.

JoeEsmond 510-384-3787 please someone call I want to pay for the wood I have already tried twice

23rd of Dec, 2015

I agree there products they sell are junk ! Don't do business with them ! They know nothing about flooring, will send you in' circles of calls when you find a problem with your flooring, 30 warranty isn't real, first it's the install fault, wait three months for them to send out install company that doesn't even work for them anymore, cupping flooring . Floor hasn't been in home a year yet! Install personal told myself and husband they have heard so many complaints about there products and said it will happen again . Funny week later get email from them and it was found to be a site issue with in the home?
    Funny because they say its not a warranty issue ? What a joke, i have read so many complaints about this company in the last 5 months and trust me, i'm one person but i know many people and in the business world word of mouth spreads like wild fire .
    Product said it needed moister barrier for the 30 year warranty, install company said it wasn't needed, it would be find .
    there third party LL said we should told them that when we ordered the flooring, wait i didn't think i needed to be a flooring expert before i purchased there product because i understood it when we picked out the floor they where taken care of the rest, send someone out take measurements . Call us in to place order for the flooring, why didn't the staff have experience with selling flooring. Second install company, once they were done cleaned the entire floor with mineral sprites .
    We filed the paperwork, took pictures and was told someone would get back with us in 24 hours about our complaint . It took two weeks, then we received email saying we need to fill out paperwork for our complaint and have it in there office in 24 hours ?What we already did that, i had to send everything again . Another two weeks go by, then phone call finally asking lots questions about the floor, said we will take care of you and get the install back out and what the install company will not pay for we will take care of the rest, lie!!! I think they said the phone calls are recorded on there in? Anyway, we recorded all phone calls and all paper trail which now is a book over this floor . What they have offered is a joke and insult to us as the customer . Shame on them to be in business and take peoples money and say they are selling quality product .