Long Fence / Took forever, still not right, I gave up!
I hired Long Fence (Ijamsville, MD 301.428.9040) to repair an existing Long fence. We have stockade (privacy) fence on three sides and split rail on the back, facing woods.
1. Sales experience was professional and I gave them a 1/3 deposit. Installers were supposed to contact me to agree on the location of new gate in rear split rail fence, replace 6 rotten rails, replace 10 broken pickets, and replace stockade gate (which was warped). Note that there was an existing split rail gate that was chained closed because it opens into a swimming pool area.
2. Installers did not contact us and came while we were on vacation. They replaced the old split rail gate instead of installing a new one, replaced six adjacent rails but not the rotten ones, and installed pickets that were a half inch more narrow than the existing ones (so much for a privacy fence). They did install the new stockade gate, but did not reinstall the existing self-closing spring. The stockade gate does not close properly.
3. I met a supervisor before work and pointed out the issues. Nothing happened for a couple of weeks.
4. After repeated unreturned calls to the installation supervisor, Rob Phillips, I complained to the sales guy, Scott Osvald, that I wanted my deposit back. Magically, the installation manager called the same day.
5. A crew came out and installed the rails and the self-closing spring while I was there. They did not have the correct stockade pickets or the post necessary to install the new split rail gate, and seemed totally unaware of the issues. After they left, I spray painted the location for the new gate on the existing rails.
6. A crew came out and installed the correct pickets and new split rail gate. Unfortunately, the new gate only opens 90 degrees, rather than 180 degrees like the existing one (in the pool area before they mistakenly replaced it) and like our neighbors' does.
7. Two more messages to the installation manager were not returned. Apparently Long Fence was not interested in resolving the problem or even in collecting the extension cord the installers had left behind.
8. Around this time I received two calls from Wendy, asking for payment. I explained that I would be glad to pay once the job was completed correctly. She was argumentative and unpleasant, but arranged for the supervisor to come back.
9. I met the supervisor again and showed him the problem with the split rail gate. He looked at it but could not offer any suggestions and said that the new gates were designed differently and that's how they work. I told him I was not happy but paid the balance on the account because I was so fed up with the situation.
10. I have contacted my neighbors' company to supply a split rail gate like theirs, that opens all the way. I left a message for Wendy asking Long Fence to buy back the unsatisfactory split rail gate and to set up a service appointment to realign the stockade gate. I do not expect to hear from them now that they have my money, but there's always a chance that someone cares enough about Long Fence's reputation to try to make me happy. Ha.
Throughout this two month ordeal, 7/28/07 - 9/26/07, I have had to take time off from work several times. I'm an hourly consultant, so this was not insignificant. My phone calls were routinely ignored. I would not recommend using this company for anything, even a repair.
More Long Fence Complaints & Reviews
- Long Fence, Chantilly - VA - Inefficiency / Unprofessionals / Poor customer relations 
- Long Kitchens aka Long Fence - This has been a nightmare, a long nightmare 
- Long Fence - Be careful with contracts! 
- Long Fence - Fence Installation 
- Long Fence - Ridiculous
- Long Fence Company - shoddy workmanship/unresponsive to complaints
- Long Fence and Home - Contract Repudiation
- Long Fence - Fence Install
- long fence windwos - took all funds for windows from my bank before work is complete
- Long Fence - Windows