Liberty Tax Service/Maribel Rodriguez / fraud/deceit/theft

1 425 East St/512 Sumner Ave.Chicopee Springfield, MA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 413-734-4100

I worked as a tax preparer for Liberty Tax Service at the Sumner Ave store from January - April of 2008. At the end of the tax season Maribel Rodriguez purchased the Springfield and a Chicopee Franchise Territory.

Ms. Rodriguez has only one tax season for experience and needed additional help to open a second store in the Chicopee MA location. She presented me with an "opportunity" to become a partner owner of the Chicopee MA store located at 425 East Street.

Ms. Rodriguez drew up a generic Partnership Contract stating that I would be entitled to 50% of the profits. I invested approximately $5, 000.00 and several months of my time.

I worked without getting paid for several months and than 1 week before our first customer walked in the door she locked me out and refuses to pay me the money I "invested".

Ms. Rodriguez deceitfully, fraudulantly and illegally extorted money from me for the purpose of her own personal gain and obtained free labor at my expense. She refuses to return my investment and pay me for my time. She refuses to take my or my attorney phone calls.

I contacted Liberty Tax Corporate Office and was advised that they would not help me concerning this matter.

Is Ms. Rodriguez and/or Liberty Tax Service someone you can trust??? I think not.

Ro

Comments

• Ac
      26th of Feb, 2009

Well I agree with you, I had worked for James Burke in Melbourne, Florida back in 2004 tax season and he did the same thing. I worked only a few weeks for him. I did all of his marketing for his business/ Liberty Tax company and after I was caught taking a lunch break doing what I had to do for myself, I was asked by him to resign. He said he could save the $1600.oo a month and do the marketing himself. So I quit and tried to get my last pay check from him, he short me the miles. I questioned him about it, he took the check right out of my hands, refused any pay period. I have been battling him and Liberty Tax since then. I will make sure to it that everyone knows what this conartist is up to. He is giving himself and Liberty Tax a real bad name. I think all of us that got screwed by Liberty Tax one way or another need to get together and place a class action lawsuit against the company.hollywood954@yahoo.com He refused my lawyers letters and phone calls as well for the labor board he was a hard person to get on the phone. Mr. James Burke will pay me my last check if he likes it or not.

• Po
      28th of Nov, 2009

I don't believe that neither one of you were forced to work for "free." It was your choice and now you play the blame game...grow-up and take accountablity for your own actions.

22nd of Jan, 2010

My Wife worked for the person mentioned in this complaint. Got paid 1/8th of what she was owed. Got fired when asking to be paid. This person is not to be trusted, and she will be getting served papers very soon. Maribel, you are a lying businesswoman. It's true, we have proof, so lets bring it to light ASAP. What do you say?

Potential Zee is an employee, IMO

Nice Try Though

22nd of Jan, 2010

I can post attachments of proof, if needed for anything I mention.

22nd of Jan, 2010

Also, I know she asked other employees to wait until this tax season to get paid since she couldn't pay them last season. Ask Sue...

22nd of Jan, 2010

If Sue still works there ;)

• La
      21st of Apr, 2010

hi, i'm Sue and i'd like to set the record straight. i have other sources of income and was not dependent on this job to pay my bills. i VOLUNTEERED to defer my pay for a year so that others could be reimbursed since many others were in more desperate financial straits than me. It was purely MY choice and over Maribel's strenuous objections. i have since been paid EVERYTHING owed to me. Yes, i still work here. i have the utmost respect for Maribel and can vouch for her personal and business integrity. it's a shame a few people tried to cheat her out of so many (outrageous) hours of pay and then blame HER when it didn't work out. i thoroughly enjoy working for her and hope to stay in this job for many years. please feel free to contact me here at any time.

• To
      12th of Feb, 2013

I think Sue is getting something extra from her..lol...or its not sue at all..nobody waits for their money more than a reasonable period of time, and first person to say they do are liars..lol..truth is what it is..have a nice day:)

• La
      12th of Feb, 2013

hi. Again, i'm Ms Sue. What is it with you?? don't you have some business of your own to occupy your time?? i'm really tired of you sticking your nose in mine. why don't you speak to me in person instead of spreading rumor and innuendo re: something about which you know absolutely nothing. if you want to talk personally please feel free to call me at work (413) 331-3175 or on my cell phone (413) 222-1389. otherwise, stay out of my life!!!

2nd of Jul, 2013

Maribel is a liar. She doesn't pay her employees as agreed, and she has this problem wherever she goes. She owes my Wife a few thousand in unpaid wages and bonuses. She never paid.

2nd of Jul, 2013

Anyone needs proof of Maribel's illegal activity, let me know. Have copies of everything. Emails, threats, promises, paperwork, illegal doings with the IRS, etc... Maribel, you want to see it? lol!!!

2nd of Jul, 2013

BTW, Maribel, I'm not going to accept your friend request on Facebook. You think I'm crazy?