Liberty Tax Service / overcharged for terrible work

1 Brooklyn, NY, United States Review updated:

Never go here to get your taxes done. I have never dealt with a worse company and here's why...I had never done my taxes on my own before and wanted to get some outside professional help. There was a Liberty Tax right near my apartment, so I stepped in and had a few words with the ladies working there. They seemed very friendly and competent so I came back the following week.
I asked for a price upfront she said it would depend on my situation. After completing my taxes she attempted to charge me almost 400 dollars, now keep in mind I did live in two states that year, but I own no property, I'm a recent college grad with no spouse, no kids, and only one source of income. I balked at the price and she cut it in half for me, now that should have been my first warning sign, the fact that they could be so arbitrary with their prices. They sent me home with all my documents and detailed instructions on where and how much to send, unfortunately many of the totals they gave me were incorrect. They failed to communicate that with me even though they realized the mistakes they had made. I came to find that their head quarters had a very different set of numbers than I had. I also found out that they had failed to submit my data to another state I had lived in. Not only that by they had charged me an extra fee after I had made very clear I did not want a particular service.
I became irate and demanded my tax prep fees back. They refused even though I had ample proof that they had done a very poor job. However I did not give up. I called their customer service line every two days and sent countless emails for at least 2 months hoping that someone from Liberty would actual try to deal with my problem instead of ignoring me hoping I would go away. BTW the manager actually refused to give me the customer service line number I had to go look it up when I returned home. They gave me the runaround at every chance they could and even 'lost' my complaint twice. Eventually I did get my money back, but wasted a lot of my time in the process. Please save yourself a headache and do not go to this company.

Sc

Comments

• Li
      7th of Dec, 2010

Hi SCW123 – We're incredibly sorry for the experience you described with your local office and our issues resolution team. I understand how frustrating situations like this can be. We take your comments seriously and will use them in our ongoing work to improve customer responsiveness.

• Do
      15th of Jan, 2011

For those of you who use Liberty Tax Service Etc, Please remember, these places stay open three months out of the year, yet pay rent for 12 months. How many other companies can do that. Please look for an independent TAX Professional that is open year round. It doesn 't have to be a CPA, It can be an enrolled agent.

• Ca
      3rd of Mar, 2011

I worked for this tax service for two days teaching taxes. The manager told me the check was in the mail, but never sent the check. I finally had to contact the NYS DOL. Why would anyone trust their personal info to a bunch of liers and cheats.

• Ga
      21st of Mar, 2011

Wow interesting you say that because I just basically got robbed from them too!!! Once telling me it was going to 50 bucks to complete my taxes they then gave me my paperwork. On my way home I almost lost my mind realizing they charged me $400!!! I lived in one state my entire life, one income, never married, and don't own a home. They're a bunch of crooks, liars and I will get my $$ back even if it means putting them out of business!