Liberty Mutual / claims denial

Dallas, TX, US Review updated:

Well, after sitting in front of my computer for about an hour reading consumer complaints, I decided I needed to be heard.

My mother and my sister and I were solicited by an agent of Liberty Mutal, Theresa Butler in the Dallas Fort Worth area. My mother works for a large defense contractor and they offered a discount with Liberty Mutual. The agent assured my family that even though the rates were low that the coverage was exceptional. So, everything was then swithed, home, car...etc. We have been insured with Liberty Mutual for about 2 years now with no infractions.

Last Monday 8/10/2009 we noticed that one of our base boards in the kitchen was wet. We called our handy man to look at it and upon inspection, he discovered there was a leak in the wall. The next morning we called our agent. She said she would have an adjuster come to look. When the man called my sister, his first comment was "Shouldn't I be speaking to your husband about this" **hmf** She replied that she was a single mom and the she lived with her sister (me). He called her back an hour later and said the claim was denied because it was prior damage. PRIOR DAMAGE?? WE CALLED THE MINUTE WE SAW IT. HE HAD NOT EVEN LOOKED AT THE DAMAGE, HAD NOT EVEN BEEN TO OUR HOUSE. After 24 hours of arguing with the claims department, they agreed to send another adjuster out. Again, they claimed that we were not covered for damages that could not determined when they occured. We again asked how in the world we were supposed to see damage IN A WALL? Perhaps there should have been a x-ray vision clause. So we asked what exactly DID they cover. Basically if the house burns down.

We are both single moms just trying to make ends meet and we will never be able to afford to repair all this damage. As it stands right now, we don't have a sink or water to our kitchen.

Now I am in the process of seeking "higher ups" in the Liberty Mutual Chain and I meeting with resistance from local supervisors. How can this company get away with this? How can the agents mislead consumers? It is going to be my mission to get as many people to drop this company. If you are insured, have another company look at the policy and see of you are covered for anything.

Comments

• Yk
      Feb 17, 2010

Liberty Mutual sucks!!! They have horrible customer service and are not personable or friendly to the people that pays for their paycheck. Customer services are especially important when you have competitors with lower rates. I've insured with Liberty for 6 years now and never claimed, not even for windshield, until now. With the Jan Blizzard, i had my windshield cracked by rocks and window malfunction due to the snow and ice on the same weekend. The company is expecting me pay two deductibles because my windshields were not cracked by the snow but rocks. Two separate incident. Honestly if they were friendly in explaining how the insurance works, I would have blindly just paid for it, gladly they were rude and disrespectful enough to initiate my desire to change insurance carrier. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS VERY IMPORTANT. Who ever they have as the head of customer service department must really hate his/her own company. After searching for a better policy, can't believe I've been paying double on my insurance policy with such a unprofessional company. My recommendation is for all Liberty Mutual customers to RUN the other way!!!

• Ga
      Jan 16, 2019

I TOTALLY AGREE, RUN, AN DONT LOOK BACK!!!