LCBO / discrimination with the excuse of assumption

Danforth and Greenwood Location, Toronto, ON, Canada Review updated:

On April 16, 2014, I asked my daughter to buy a quart(small bottle) of wine and one can of beer. When she went to pay, the cashier rejected her, because her ID was expired(Driver's License). This happened around 1:00 PM.

I decided to buy the items by myself (this was around 2:30 PM) on my way to work and I went with my daughter. When I went to pay, the Assistant Manager told me, "You cannot buy the beer". I asked what the reason was, he said: "Because I assume the beer is for her", all while pointing at my daughter. My daughter is 22.5 years old, and he CANNOT think or ASSUME what I am going to do with my purchases. And, what I didn't like was his assumption, because it's my money and I was NOT DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL, it's my right, and I can decide what to do with my purchases, as long as it is not illegal.

I got so angry at the same time, I feel DISCRIMINATED. My daughter and I do not consume alcohol, that was a present that I wanted to give to my co-workers for Easter. I said to him: "We cannot live off assumptions, it is simply a discrimination, and against human rights". Why if he assumed that the beer was for my daughter did he sell me the wine, if both beverages are alcoholic and any of those could have been consumed by my daughter!

Gh
Apr 17, 2014

Comments

• Ji
      28th of Sep, 2015

This is getting out of control. I experienced a similar incident, when I was in an LCBO on September 28 in Stoney Creek Ontario. I had my twenty-one year old son hold two cans for me while I picked up a six pack of beer. My hands weren't full but the two cans were bigger than I could hold with the free hand. When I got to the register, the clerk asked my son for ID. He didn't have is ID with him. I said the beer cans are mine. She said, sorry I cannot sell them to you because he carried them and he has no ID. I said, okay I will take them back to where they were and get two other cans. She said no. i will not sell them to you even if you take them back and bring them back yourself. This is absurd. It is the very reason that socialism and large government control needs to be eliminated sooner than later. This rule is ridiculous on its face and adds no value. It is just bureaucratic nonsense at a fanatic level.